ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #1141
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer
 
wsmc831's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Central Oregon
Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8
Any opinions on which is better and why? Perhaps another camera?? Need something bulletproof, waterproof, able to take a pounding and keep on going.

Will be used for motorcycling as well as off shore high speed boating.

Any and All help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Looking at both cameras hard and will pull the trigger soon.

Thanks.
I personally don't like the form factor or mounting options of the GoPro. My contourHD mounts just about anywhere.

I see they have a new waterproof case for it that also has a universal lug for mounting to tripod type threaded inserts. 40 dollars more and all your requirements are met.

Both are MILES ahead of setups I was using just 5 years ago....can't go wrong with either.
__________________
97 TL1000S
2010 690 EnduroR
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #1142
Larmo
Not all who wander r lost
 
Larmo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: within mortar range of TJ. Wear a helmet!
Oddometer: 9
Question Rewind and save last ten min. of dump mode?

Help. I can't find it, looked all over.
Did I read in ADV somewhere a comment about one of the video camera's having an ability to run in an unusual record and dump mode? -Unlimited!
Camera would run in an odd record mode where the previous ten minutes (or so) of video could be retreived if you choose, after-the-fact.
Could run unlimited/relentlessly, because it would otherwise dump the tail end of what had been recorded as it continued.

The Poster noted it was nice to have the option, battery willing (or lighter plug), to just let his camera roll, dumping off the end, and yet be able to stop and (post capture) opt to save those last ten minutes of cool trail.

Sound familiar?
Thanx
__________________
- God is Dog spelled backwards.
- Not all who wander are lost.
Larmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #1143
brad21
Farting in a Fan
 
brad21's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Oddometer: 3,556
GoPro Hero HD Motorsports




CLINE MARCH 2010 from Brad21 on Vimeo.


ContourHD (720p model)




Brothers for Burgers Feb 2010 from Brad21 on Vimeo.


Keep in mind that this was my first time using both of them.
__________________
Use this code when opening a Smugmug account and get $5 off! HkVR4XuSGKW46

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #1144
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,650
HD Cams

Both cams look nice. Amazing how far these little toys have come in the last little while. Is it my imagination or does the GoPro look quite a bit sharper?



Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
GoPro Hero HD Motorsports




CLINE MARCH 2010 from Brad21 on Vimeo.


ContourHD (720p model)




Brothers for Burgers Feb 2010 from Brad21 on Vimeo.


Keep in mind that this was my first time using both of them.
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #1145
brad21
Farting in a Fan
 
brad21's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Both cams look nice. Amazing how far these little toys have come in the last little while. Is it my imagination or does the GoPro look quite a bit sharper?
That was due to the encoding. I had to upload the Contour vid in .wmv, that's why it doesn't look as good. It shoots 720p quality.
__________________
Use this code when opening a Smugmug account and get $5 off! HkVR4XuSGKW46

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #1146
robsmoto
Motorcycleton
 
robsmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
...does the GoPro look quite a bit sharper?
I also thought that the GoPro looked much more crisp. I was supprised that there wasn't more wind noise at the microphone.
robsmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #1147
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer
 
GoGo Gadget's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmo
Help. I can't find it, looked all over.
Did I read in ADV somewhere a comment about one of the video camera's having an ability to run in an unusual record and dump mode? -Unlimited!
Camera would run in an odd record mode where the previous ten minutes (or so) of video could be retreived if you choose, after-the-fact.
Could run unlimited/relentlessly, because it would otherwise dump the tail end of what had been recorded as it continued.

The Poster noted it was nice to have the option, battery willing (or lighter plug), to just let his camera roll, dumping off the end, and yet be able to stop and (post capture) opt to save those last ten minutes of cool trail.

Sound familiar?
Thanx
Mine does that. The VIO-POV has a "tag" mode. It continuously records but does not save until you hit the tag button. Then it saves a certain amount before and after you tag it. That amount is adjustable beforehand.
__________________
I don't know how or when I'll die, but I know someone will be holding my beer for me when I do.


I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #1148
brad21
Farting in a Fan
 
brad21's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Oddometer: 3,556
Zoom:

__________________
Use this code when opening a Smugmug account and get $5 off! HkVR4XuSGKW46

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #1149
Goss
LC8 Adventurer
 
Goss's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 1,346
For you editing /DVD burning pros what DVD's should I be purchasing to enable me to edit a video and burn a DVD to watch on a DVD player ?

I understand they need to be certain types but there are so many options. I know the DVD's I use to archive my raw digital photos does not work. Those are a one time write type.
__________________
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S
2007 Ducati 999S Parts Unlimited
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #1150
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,650
DVDs

Check your player. Some only like DVD-R or DVD+R. Newer machines seem to play anything. What software did you use to author the dvd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
For you editing /DVD burning pros what DVD's should I be purchasing to enable me to edit a video and burn a DVD to watch on a DVD player ?

I understand they need to be certain types but there are so many options. I know the DVD's I use to archive my raw digital photos does not work. Those are a one time write type.
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #1151
Goss
LC8 Adventurer
 
Goss's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 1,346
I have a Samsung Blue Ray player and need to take a closer look at the recommended DVD disks it says to use in it. But I also want to use something that will work in a standard DVD player as well.

And I followed some instructions from another editor when using iMovie and iDVD on my iMac. I think I got the coding / conversion correct but I simply need the proper DVD's to burn to. My home theater Blue Ray does not like DVD-R.

I am about to upgrade to a newer Mac and will certainly consider a better video editing software.
__________________
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S
2007 Ducati 999S Parts Unlimited
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #1152
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,650
DVDs

iMovie is a fine application. iDVD is also a good choice. Pick up some DVD+Rs and give them a try. I've always stayed away from the mystery brands and bought Verbatim discs if I can. No problems after 1000s of DVDs. Does your player mention it doesn't like DVD-R discs in the manual? Just because it doesn't play one brand of -R doesn't mean it won't play another brand.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
I have a Samsung Blue Ray player and need to take a closer look at the recommended DVD disks it says to use in it. But I also want to use something that will work in a standard DVD player as well.

And I followed some instructions from another editor when using iMovie and iDVD on my iMac. I think I got the coding / conversion correct but I simply need the proper DVD's to burn to. My home theater Blue Ray does not like DVD-R.

I am about to upgrade to a newer Mac and will certainly consider a better video editing software.
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #1153
Goss
LC8 Adventurer
 
Goss's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 1,346
I will pull the manual tonight and write down all the recommended DVD types.

I may check back in with you via PM so as not to cause issues on this thread so many thanks.

I did order a GoPro HD Motosport setup this weekend and some other stuff so I want to get this editing stuff and burning down. I have some older stuff from a Sanyo Exacti E2 that I need to get into a decent edit to share with some friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
iMovie is a fine application. iDVD is also a good choice. Pick up some DVD+Rs and give them a try. I've always stayed away from the mystery brands and bought Verbatim discs if I can. No problems after 1000s of DVDs. Does your player mention it doesn't like DVD-R discs in the manual? Just because it doesn't play one brand of -R doesn't mean it won't play another brand.
__________________
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S
2007 Ducati 999S Parts Unlimited
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #1154
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz
 
Giuseppe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Rock City, TN
Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8
Any opinions on which is better and why? Perhaps another camera?? Need something bulletproof, waterproof, able to take a pounding and keep on going.

Looking at both cameras hard and will pull the trigger soon.

Thanks.
I took the Contour HD on this year's two-week Enduro India ride. One of the guys I rode with a lot had the GoPro. I haven't done an exhaustive A/B test of video quality, but I'm very happy with what comes out of the Contour. Two other observations on the Contour and GoPro:

1. The Contour's sliding on/off switch is big and very easy to use. The GoPro used a push-on/push-off arrangement. If the GoPro is mounted where you can't see it (i.e on top of your helmet), you may accidentally turn it on and think you're turning it off (or vice-versa...). My riding buddy had this happen at least once.

2. The Countor has a much lower profile. I mounted mine on the side of my Shoei Hornet, just below the faceshield pivot:



My friend's camera stuck up from the top of his helmet, sorta like a Teletubbie:



The height of the GoPro did give him a great POV, though. I've also seen the GoPro mounted on the side of a helmet, but it's still not as slick as the Countor.

The only issue I had with the Countor was some dust that got behind the outer lens during the first few days. I took off the lens ring, cleaned it all out, checked the gasket, and reassembled. No problems after that. I think the gasket may not have been properly seated during assembly at the factory.

Oh, yeah, and the lasers really do help with aligning the camera after you've taken it off your helmet and put it back on. I'd buy it again for that feature alone...

My $0.02, FWIW.
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #1155
brad21
Farting in a Fan
 
brad21's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Oddometer: 3,556
GoPro:



ContourHD (720p)



I've experienced the same thing with the GoPro, missed shots d/t not knowing it was on or off. I'd also like to mount it somewhere else other than the top of my melon. Still playing with them both.
__________________
Use this code when opening a Smugmug account and get $5 off! HkVR4XuSGKW46

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014