Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #1141
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8
Any opinions on which is better and why? Perhaps another camera?? Need something bulletproof, waterproof, able to take a pounding and keep on going.

Will be used for motorcycling as well as off shore high speed boating.

Any and All help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Looking at both cameras hard and will pull the trigger soon.

Thanks.
I personally don't like the form factor or mounting options of the GoPro. My contourHD mounts just about anywhere.

I see they have a new waterproof case for it that also has a universal lug for mounting to tripod type threaded inserts. 40 dollars more and all your requirements are met.

Both are MILES ahead of setups I was using just 5 years ago....can't go wrong with either.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #1142
Larmo
Not all who wander r lost

Oddometer: 9
Question Rewind and save last ten min. of dump mode?

Help. I can't find it, looked all over.
Did I read in ADV somewhere a comment about one of the video camera's having an ability to run in an unusual record and dump mode? -Unlimited!
Camera would run in an odd record mode where the previous ten minutes (or so) of video could be retreived if you choose, after-the-fact.
Could run unlimited/relentlessly, because it would otherwise dump the tail end of what had been recorded as it continued.

The Poster noted it was nice to have the option, battery willing (or lighter plug), to just let his camera roll, dumping off the end, and yet be able to stop and (post capture) opt to save those last ten minutes of cool trail.

Sound familiar?
Thanx
Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #1143
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
GoPro Hero HD Motorsports

CLINE MARCH 2010 from Brad21 on Vimeo.

ContourHD (720p model)

Brothers for Burgers Feb 2010 from Brad21 on Vimeo.

Keep in mind that this was my first time using both of them.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #1144
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
HD Cams

Both cams look nice. Amazing how far these little toys have come in the last little while. Is it my imagination or does the GoPro look quite a bit sharper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
GoPro Hero HD Motorsports

CLINE MARCH 2010 from Brad21 on Vimeo.

ContourHD (720p model)

Brothers for Burgers Feb 2010 from Brad21 on Vimeo.

Keep in mind that this was my first time using both of them.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #1145
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Both cams look nice. Amazing how far these little toys have come in the last little while. Is it my imagination or does the GoPro look quite a bit sharper?
That was due to the encoding. I had to upload the Contour vid in .wmv, that's why it doesn't look as good. It shoots 720p quality.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #1146
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
...does the GoPro look quite a bit sharper?
I also thought that the GoPro looked much more crisp. I was supprised that there wasn't more wind noise at the microphone.
robsmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #1147
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmo
Help. I can't find it, looked all over.
Did I read in ADV somewhere a comment about one of the video camera's having an ability to run in an unusual record and dump mode? -Unlimited!
Camera would run in an odd record mode where the previous ten minutes (or so) of video could be retreived if you choose, after-the-fact.
Could run unlimited/relentlessly, because it would otherwise dump the tail end of what had been recorded as it continued.

The Poster noted it was nice to have the option, battery willing (or lighter plug), to just let his camera roll, dumping off the end, and yet be able to stop and (post capture) opt to save those last ten minutes of cool trail.

Sound familiar?
Thanx
Mine does that. The VIO-POV has a "tag" mode. It continuously records but does not save until you hit the tag button. Then it saves a certain amount before and after you tag it. That amount is adjustable beforehand.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #1148
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Zoom:

Old 03-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #1149
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
For you editing /DVD burning pros what DVD's should I be purchasing to enable me to edit a video and burn a DVD to watch on a DVD player ?

I understand they need to be certain types but there are so many options. I know the DVD's I use to archive my raw digital photos does not work. Those are a one time write type.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #1150
Motoriley

DVDs

Check your player. Some only like DVD-R or DVD+R. Newer machines seem to play anything. What software did you use to author the dvd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
For you editing /DVD burning pros what DVD's should I be purchasing to enable me to edit a video and burn a DVD to watch on a DVD player ?

I understand they need to be certain types but there are so many options. I know the DVD's I use to archive my raw digital photos does not work. Those are a one time write type.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #1151
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

I have a Samsung Blue Ray player and need to take a closer look at the recommended DVD disks it says to use in it. But I also want to use something that will work in a standard DVD player as well.

And I followed some instructions from another editor when using iMovie and iDVD on my iMac. I think I got the coding / conversion correct but I simply need the proper DVD's to burn to. My home theater Blue Ray does not like DVD-R.

I am about to upgrade to a newer Mac and will certainly consider a better video editing software.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #1152
Motoriley

DVDs

iMovie is a fine application. iDVD is also a good choice. Pick up some DVD+Rs and give them a try. I've always stayed away from the mystery brands and bought Verbatim discs if I can. No problems after 1000s of DVDs. Does your player mention it doesn't like DVD-R discs in the manual? Just because it doesn't play one brand of -R doesn't mean it won't play another brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
I have a Samsung Blue Ray player and need to take a closer look at the recommended DVD disks it says to use in it. But I also want to use something that will work in a standard DVD player as well.

And I followed some instructions from another editor when using iMovie and iDVD on my iMac. I think I got the coding / conversion correct but I simply need the proper DVD's to burn to. My home theater Blue Ray does not like DVD-R.

I am about to upgrade to a newer Mac and will certainly consider a better video editing software.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #1153
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

I will pull the manual tonight and write down all the recommended DVD types.

I may check back in with you via PM so as not to cause issues on this thread so many thanks.

I did order a GoPro HD Motosport setup this weekend and some other stuff so I want to get this editing stuff and burning down. I have some older stuff from a Sanyo Exacti E2 that I need to get into a decent edit to share with some friends.

Quote:
iMovie is a fine application. iDVD is also a good choice. Pick up some DVD+Rs and give them a try. I've always stayed away from the mystery brands and bought Verbatim discs if I can. No problems after 1000s of DVDs. Does your player mention it doesn't like DVD-R discs in the manual? Just because it doesn't play one brand of -R doesn't mean it won't play another brand.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #1154
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8
Any opinions on which is better and why? Perhaps another camera?? Need something bulletproof, waterproof, able to take a pounding and keep on going.

Looking at both cameras hard and will pull the trigger soon.

Thanks.
I took the Contour HD on this year's two-week Enduro India ride. One of the guys I rode with a lot had the GoPro. I haven't done an exhaustive A/B test of video quality, but I'm very happy with what comes out of the Contour. Two other observations on the Contour and GoPro:

1. The Contour's sliding on/off switch is big and very easy to use. The GoPro used a push-on/push-off arrangement. If the GoPro is mounted where you can't see it (i.e on top of your helmet), you may accidentally turn it on and think you're turning it off (or vice-versa...). My riding buddy had this happen at least once.

2. The Countor has a much lower profile. I mounted mine on the side of my Shoei Hornet, just below the faceshield pivot:

My friend's camera stuck up from the top of his helmet, sorta like a Teletubbie:

The height of the GoPro did give him a great POV, though. I've also seen the GoPro mounted on the side of a helmet, but it's still not as slick as the Countor.

The only issue I had with the Countor was some dust that got behind the outer lens during the first few days. I took off the lens ring, cleaned it all out, checked the gasket, and reassembled. No problems after that. I think the gasket may not have been properly seated during assembly at the factory.

Oh, yeah, and the lasers really do help with aligning the camera after you've taken it off your helmet and put it back on. I'd buy it again for that feature alone...

My $0.02, FWIW.
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #1155
brad21
Farting in a Fan

GoPro:

ContourHD (720p)

I've experienced the same thing with the GoPro, missed shots d/t not knowing it was on or off. I'd also like to mount it somewhere else other than the top of my melon. Still playing with them both.