Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #1201
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
B&H Photo has the VIO POV 1.5 for $484. I can get it down to $368 with my REI dividend and the 20% off so I'm really liking this. For me, the HD is less important, as real HD takes a whopper computer to process and play. The VIO has an accessory to replace the batteries, so you can power it off the bike's battery or power port and puts a 1/4-20 thread on the recording unit so you could put it on a RAM mount and actually see that you are getting footage, yet put the small camera head just about anywhere. For helmet use, there are several mounting options and you can put the recording unit in a small pouch or put it in your pants pocket.

The "tag" feature in "loop" also sounds very useful. Loop mode makes it easy to leave the POV.1.5 in recording mode all day, and just save the best hour or twos worth of video on the SDHC card. In Loop record mode the POV.1.5 records a continuous loop of video clips that are all of the same duration. For example, if the POV.1.5 is set to record 3 minute loops, it will record a series of 3 minute loops for as long as the unit is in Loop record mode. Then, when something happens that you want to save you simply press TAG or REC/TAG to save that loop. If you dont Tag anything the old loops are discarded to make room for new video loops. Loop Record Time can be set to 20, 30 sec., 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 15, 30 min. If you hit the "tag" button in the first 1/3 of a loop, it'll save the previous loop as well as the current one where you hit the "tag" button. Groovy. Almost like having a built in editor in the camera system.

Any VIO users out there care to opine on this feature?
Sorry I haven't used loop mode yet, just using clip more for now. Been playing with the new exposure settings trying to see what shoots best in various scenarios. Here's a bit of a ride I just did while in Palm Springs...

I am still trying to find a good place for the mike. I prefer listening to the engine vs music but it really depends on what jacket I'm wearing etc. I usually just drop the mike inside my jacket and while wearing my FXRG jacket I get OK sound but I only had my mesh jacket with me on this trip so I ended up with a lot more wind noise. Will be trying some foam over the mike next.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #1202
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,354
Just pulled the trigger on the VIO POV 1.5. Pricey little bastard, even with my REI 20% discount and dividend, but it really fills the bill for my list of requirements. Almost bought the VholdR Contour 720 but noticed that it turns off after 15 min of inactivity so the easy to use slider switch is no longer active and you'd have to try and turn it on again using a not so easy push button, not easy that is if you are riding. I remain convinced that the loop mode of the POV VIO will get a lot of use, letting me save 10-30 minute loops of riding at a time, and then not having to wade through hours of editing. And it has a SCREEN. What a concept for video ! And you can plug it in to a TV and send the vid to the TV. Nice for touring, and reviewing the ride on the motel TV.

On backorder so I'll have to wait a while... and will post up once I get 'er and get to filmin'.

munchmeister screwed with this post 04-19-2010 at 07:09 AM
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #1203
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Contour 720, uploaded highest res possible for file size, still not great...

Dave's Ditch Trail April 2010 from Brad21 on Vimeo.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #1204
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,520
Another Ipod Nano video

Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 AM   #1205
Nocer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I posted this earlier, but did not knew about this thread. :) Maybe someone can say something constructive about this?

Im in the same doubt!

When Im going to Norway I would love to capture some elements of the trip. Just as a reminder of how awesome Norway was etc... :)

Ofcourse I have my photocamera, but would love to have vids as well. As I want to use it on the bike itself for the footage a normal HD camcorder is out of the question. Too big and it fails too often on a v-twin (vibrations). Plus its hardly weather proof.

So Im looking more into the action cam department. Two really stand out, the Contour HD 1080P and Go Pro Hero HD. Both er are around 250 euro and deliver Full HD (well... at least they claim to give).

Both have a big downside... they dont have an LCD screen to see what your filming... With the Go Pro HD you have to aim with some luck. But the Contour HD has two guiding lasers and a rotating lens. THis way, you can mount it anywhere you want in any position. You just have to rotate the lens with the help of the lasers till you have the perfect picture.

A problem is that you cant see back the material you shoot, unless you unload it and proces it to video. As a workaround I will buy a netbook. This will function as a storage point as well so I wont have to buy alot of memory cards (a netbook has around 160GB of storage in it). For the Contour, a netbook is required to make adjusting to lighting etc... all are made via software to the camera.

Spec comparison (note the Contour HD 1080p & Go Pro):

Review with video's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDnTvLQX7II

http://www.feedthehabit.com/skiing/g...owsport-focus/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/16/g...-cam-face-off/

For a good idea how the VHoldr functions, you can check their site (better quality vids then youtube).

http://vholdr.com/videolist

Pretty decent videos.

To sum it up...

Reasons to buy a Contour HD:

- Easy mounting system
- Can mount anywhere in any position
- More then perfect support
- Big community
- Good video
- Lots of adjustment possible
- Cool and easy editting software in the package

Reasons not to buy a Contour HD:

- Bad sound at high speed, lots of wind interference
- A bit poor light adjusting
- Takes a bit of practice with settings to get the best results.
- Netbook needed to adjust stuff in the field

Reasons to buy a Go Pro:

- Better sound
- Better video (light adjustment)?
- No netbook needed to adjust settings.
- Water proof (note: for 30 euros, you can make the Contour HD waterproof as well)
- Cheaper memory cards (how important is this? its only an inital investment)

Reasons not to buy a Go Pro:

- Looks like a teletubby as mounted on your helmet
- Less possibilities for mounting
- More difficult to aim
- Less options for lighting, metering etc...

BTW... helm mounting options for both... the gopro just looks a bit.. uhm... weird?

Go Pro

Contour HD

Im torn.... really like the Contour more as shape and mounting options are concerned... but the Go Pro tends to give better sound and might be better in video (but I think they are equal).

Quote:
if you have the money, and want more stupid performance from a bike that already is a military grade jungle assault vehicle, then feel free.
(about Wings v.s. Stock cans on a KTM Adventure)
Nocer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:28 AM   #1206
Nocer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibby
Another Ipod Nano video

That is not bad at all!

Quote:
if you have the money, and want more stupid performance from a bike that already is a military grade jungle assault vehicle, then feel free.
(about Wings v.s. Stock cans on a KTM Adventure)
Nocer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 AM   #1207
Sune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocer
That is not bad at all!
Also I can't help commenting on that lovely sounding two-stroke. Music to my ears.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #1208
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Here's a short vid from my GoProHD. This video was shot in 960P, edited in Corel Photostudio Pro X3 and re-saved in 720P to make uploading to Youtube faster.

I used the POV 1 las summer and overall I like the GoPro better. There are advantages to each and depending on what your application is one may be better suited to you than the other.

The bigest advantages to me of the POV unit is the remote Mic, the unit just pics up sound a lot better than the GoPro. The POV will also record a LONG time on a 8gig card, the GoPro burns through memory fast, but the GoProHD is far superior in video quality as well. I really like the totally self contained part of the GoPro...after 1100 miles of dirt I was really tired of messing with the cables of the POV unit on our trip last summer. This summer I'm taking a stack of cards, several different type of mounts and the GoProHD unit. I'll have to be more selective on where/what I record but the video quality will be worth it when I get back.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #1209
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,354
OK, this is nothin but a test of my new VIO POV 1.5. I could not get Windoz Movie Maker or Adobe Premiere Elements 8 to recognize the frickin' file so I downloaded a trial version of CyberLink PowerDirector and voila, recognition of the file. I think they are a Chinese company. There's a reason they sell so much stuff to us Americans. !! Used their music generator, a couple of title effects and slammed this together fast, after much futzing around looking for codecs for Adobe and MM. Guess which one I will buy !!

Any way here it is. Mostly, I am thrilled by my mount (RAM ball attached to the POV mount, with some cushioing in between) which seems to reduce the vibrations of my R1150GS, even on a dirt road (albeit relatively smooth, but still....).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLO0EeF4aJQ

More to come !!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #1210
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
OK, this is nothin but a test of my new VIO POV 1.5. ...Any way here it is.
I thought that the video picture was nice and smooth. But, the wind noise does distract. Usually I have to fully suppress the recorded audio and just overlay a music track. That's too bad as often times it would make the video better to have the engine sounds.

I've fooled around with locating a mic separate from the lens and out of the wind blast. My best result came with an R100RS where I placed the mic behind the fairing. I have heard some folks say that good results were obtained when the mic was either in the tankbag map pocket or placed inside their jacket.

I have two video editing programs that I use. One is PowerDirector; the other is Studio 14. They each have features that I sometimes want and they are sufficiently similar in operation that it is easy to switch back and forth (although not when editing the same video).
robsmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #1211
hobie1dog
Not a Sheeple

Oddometer: 374
I have read alot of this, but has the new Epic Wide video camera been discussed?

www.relivetherush.com

They have a new HD model for 279.00 it is very small and has a slew of mounting options, with a 168 degree wide angle lens, 30 frames per second and weighs only 3 ounces.

The things you own, end up owning you-Tyler Durden
hobie1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #1212
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,520
I don't worry about the wind noise

Sounds exactly like it does in your helmet don't it?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #1213
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
You could try placing a piece of tape over the mic to reduce the wind noise. I use the POV for my son's hare scramble races and leave the mic in his Camelbak. Really only hear the engine noise.

Here is another option.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...&_nkw=md80+cam

$15 for a micro DV camera. You could buy 4 and place one facing each direction.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #1214
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,889
I bought the ContourHD 720 after reading countless reviews and comparisons, , believing I had made an informed decision, but wish I had bought the GoPro instead (do it, get the GoPro instead). The microphone was unusable, so I went down the path of modifications, but still have yet to do the 'chuck it out the window' mod. I bought a cheap lapel mic, and attached it the bottom of the case, facing backwards. This was no better than the original mic, despite theories that wind over the case transmitted into noise. I'm at the point where it is acceptable, and although horrible looking, you don't really notice it when it's on the helmet. I bought a large mic foam ball, did some trimming, and wrapped it up, and RTV'd it to the bottom of the camera. Silicone works well, as it can be removed if it fails (like a few attempts before this one).

So here is the camera. I feel like such a hack, but I was one short step away from giving up on it. Gopro needs to make a sleeker case, or VholdR needs to fix the bloody mic. That's my .02.

And here is a sound check video. I rode as fast as 130 km/h, but I really only want to capture sound around the 60-70 km/h range, and I have achieved the ability to do that. If the snow ever melts in the mountains, I'll actually get some interesting video. I bought the camera more for me, rather than sharing them.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #1215
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
was this a good deal?

I just bought a HD Go Pro HD Helmet Hero for $104.99 and the Go Pro Chest Mount Harness for 13.99 at The North Face Outlet in Berkeley. Is that a good deal? Total: 130.58

Suz
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote