ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #1291
B-Rod
RubberNecker
 
B-Rod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1939 View Post
Question about how you have that mounted.

I have mine on the goggle strap. How secure do you find it on the semi-curved surface of the helmet itself. If this is secure it would be a more stable permanent place to put it and allow for more fine tuning.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
I have mounted to my Aria XD3 and Klim helmets. Both have slightly curved surfaces. There is just enough foam in the included round stick mounts to secure nice to the curve of the helmets.



edit I just picked up the low profile mounts. They are great. The pad flex good and stick like a rock.

http://store.contour.com/contour-pro...-side-p22.aspx
"M base adheres best to flat surfaces but will conform to curves of helmets and fairings for a variety of applications."
Enough foam makes it stick perfect. Press it into the curve of the helmet (actually, the Shoei has a bit of a groove in this area as well) and the pad is 100% stuck everywhere.

For biking, I have had no problems with the google mount, which I use when I put the camera on my friend's head. Sometimes he's just more fun to watch than me.

Since fixing (more or less) the sound issue, The sound is much truer than the GoPro, which sounds (and is) mounted inside a box. Good camera. Sometimes it's hard to aim, as I don't really hold my head the way I think I hold my head. I have filed a small index mark, but every time we mount it on the googles, we get a slightly different view. Meh.

__________________
Save $5 on Smugmug by using this code. LW9ZIPzdRGzaI
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #1292
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 7,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Enough foam makes it stick perfect.
Until it doesn't. Mine came unstuck going down the freeway in hot summer temps. The foam pad was still stuck to the helmet, but the pad and mount separated. I was concerned that something like that might happen so had the camera safety attached to the helmet, not to the mount. Being safety attached to the mount is stupid when it is the mount that is most likely to come free.

These days I tend to use the suction cup mount, even on the helmet. Sticks good.

marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #1293
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Until it doesn't. Mine came unstuck going down the freeway in hot summer temps. The foam pad was still stuck to the helmet, but the pad and mount separated. I was concerned that something like that might happen so had the camera safety attached to the helmet, not to the mount. Being safety attached to the mount is stupid when it is the mount that is most likely to come free.

These days I tend to use the suction cup mount, even on the helmet. Sticks good.

That mounting setup would last about 5 min around here.
__________________
Chris
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
CL Adventure Ride 2013 /CL Revisited 2014 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / MY VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #1294
soph9
Bike Addict
 
soph9's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Oddometer: 2,303
I used the suction cup mount once on my helmet with the Contour and felt way too much drag for highway...
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #1295
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 7,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
That mounting setup would last about 5 min around here.
Low branches? It's not going to fall off unless whacked pretty hard. The panavice stuff is pretty good. soph9's comment about drag on the freeway is quite right, though.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:28 AM   #1296
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Low branches? It's not going to fall off unless whacked pretty hard. The panavice stuff is pretty good. soph9's comment about drag on the freeway is quite right, though.
I've never seen one fall off but top mount is the one setup where I've seen a branch knock the GP off aim. It can end up being a very solid hit depending on the branch and your speed. IMO a little dangerous if you're riding in those conditions, a fellow rider hit a branch with his top mount and it jerked his head back pretty good
__________________
Chris
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
CL Adventure Ride 2013 /CL Revisited 2014 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / MY VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #1297
Zombie025
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Tanzania
Oddometer: 109
Mounting options on bike

I searched everywhere but didn't find a solution:
I want to fix my cam (ContourHD) to my bike (Husaberg FE570) in that way that the front wheel is showing while cathing the track ahead also. Only find a way to attach it to the crashbars, don't have any. I would use the waterproof case so that mud and water will not be an issue. I'm thinking about mounting it sideways to the frame, so it will not stick out too much (in case of falls/trees etc.). Does anybody has mounting ideas?

Thanks
Zombie025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #1298
c.vestal
Rally On
 
c.vestal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: COS
Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie025 View Post
I searched everywhere but didn't find a solution:
I want to fix my cam (ContourHD) to my bike (Husaberg FE570) in that way that the front wheel is showing while cathing the track ahead also. Only find a way to attach it to the crashbars, don't have any. I would use the waterproof case so that mud and water will not be an issue. I'm thinking about mounting it sideways to the frame, so it will not stick out too much (in case of falls/trees etc.). Does anybody has mounting ideas?

Thanks
The waterproof case has a 1/4" nut. Same as all the standard camera mounts. There are literally hundred of options are out there.

Fist that comes to mind is the 2 options for bar mounting on the Contour website.

Quick search for "ram bar mount" come up with a ram mount that connects directly to the Contour.
LINK

This ram ball allows for tons of options.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #1299
Zombie025
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Tanzania
Oddometer: 109
The question is where to mount it, not how. Up to now i haven't seen any mounting inside protected areas, like engine guard, fairing or sth. Thats why i was asking, a 10cm ram mount ahead of the site will be sheered of at the first crash or bush. so, please, any more of the remaining 99 mounting options (lets cut of handlebar, as the front wheel will not be visible then, so 98 remaining)
Zombie025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #1300
c.vestal
Rally On
 
c.vestal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: COS
Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie025 View Post
The question is where to mount it, not how. Up to now i haven't seen any mounting inside protected areas, like engine guard, fairing or sth. Thats why i was asking, a 10cm ram mount ahead of the site will be sheered of at the first crash or bush. so, please, any more of the remaining 99 mounting options (lets cut of handlebar, as the front wheel will not be visible then, so 98 remaining)
sorry, I assumed you knew where I was heading with those mounting options. I am not suggesting you mount those to your handle bars... your FE frame has tube-ish shape in front of your engine.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #1301
Lucky:)
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Until it doesn't. Mine came unstuck going down the freeway in hot summer temps. The foam pad was still stuck to the helmet, but the pad and mount separated. I was concerned that something like that might happen so had the camera safety attached to the helmet, not to the mount. Being safety attached to the mount is stupid when it is the mount that is most likely to come free.

These days I tend to use the suction cup mount, even on the helmet. Sticks good.

Hi
I have a question to people who mount a camera on top/side of a helmet.
Do you feel buffeting, lifting, or wind resistance while the camera is mounted to the helmet during high riding on a highway?
Lucky:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #1302
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky:) View Post
Hi
I have a question to people who mount a camera on top/side of a helmet.
Do you feel buffeting, lifting, or wind resistance while the camera is mounted to the helmet during high riding on a highway?
GP top mount was very noticeable at hwy speed to me, I forget the camera's there using the side mount, wind noise is less and you can hear the motor better.
__________________
Chris
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
CL Adventure Ride 2013 /CL Revisited 2014 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / MY VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #1303
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 7,251
With my Contour the captured wind noise is loud and objectionable regardless of the mounting position.

I've never tried the top mount at speeds in excess of 80 MPH, so can't tell you how it feels. At less than 80 MPH if I notice it when mounted at the top at all it is not objectionable. I don't recall noticing it at all when side mounted.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #1304
c.vestal
Rally On
 
c.vestal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: COS
Oddometer: 4,863
Two new helmet/bike cams out... soon.

Contour +
http://contour.com/camera/contour_plus


Replay XD
http://replayxd.com/replay-xd1080-camera/

c.vestal screwed with this post 06-09-2011 at 04:41 PM
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #1305
Lucky:)
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
do you mean wearing cameras?

replay xd1080 look really small :)
Lucky:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014