Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #1321
rizzer
no longer bikeless

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
Not sure how high the GoPro can take but when I had it on my helmet and I fell and my head slid along the dirt on the side the GoPro was on until the picture was dark (camera was under ground) might have been only 5 vertical feet though. Camera was fine! Also I'm still amazed at the quality this camera cranks out, replaceable batteries are a big plus as well. For a day ride I need 4 batts and a 32 gig card.
yeah that's another +...these pocket cameras run on internal batteries

and yeah, surviving 5 feet drop but at speed + your bodyweight on the camera...should give me something to consider

man I hate taking multiple punches at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
My dirt bike spit me off a few months ago, the fall was hard enough to break my hand in 2 places

The GP was mounted to the side of the helmet which took a hard hit as my head bounced few times. It folded the GP mount/camera backwards but otherwise it survived fine!

SloMo Crash Vid
to be honest, that vid just sold the GP for me...unfortunately the price is still way out of my reach
rizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #1322
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,826
Just picked up the Contour GPS. Installed the Android App, Updated the camera firmware. Bam, I now can see my view out the camera, adjust resolution, exposure, frame rate, all thru my phone. This is totally awesome.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #1323
CrustyD3mon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Wooww...how it works? do you see the images in the moment...i mean....can you do live streeaming to the phone?
CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #1324
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyD3mon View Post
Wooww...how it works? do you see the images in the moment...i mean....can you do live streeaming to the phone?
Yes, it is a "live preview" via Bluetooth. The live preview is only about 3 frames per second. Invaluable for aiming the camera before you hit record.
Once the record button is switched, it disconnects the mobile device and the Contour records as normal.

More here: http://contour.com/software/mobile/overview
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #1325
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
Yes, it is a "live preview" via Bluetooth. The live preview is only about 3 frames per second. Invaluable for aiming the camera before you hit record.
Once the record button is switched, it disconnects the mobile device and the Contour records as normal.

More here: http://contour.com/software/mobile/overview
That is totally cool!
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #1326
CrustyD3mon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
nice information....and nice feature from this camera...thanks for sharing...
CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #1327
peanut_gallery
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
I really like the quality of the GoPro and Contour, a lot of the guys i've been skydiving with use them and the vides is pretty incredible. But I'm surprised the new mini HD cams arnt talked about much around here. The HD808 and the new Y3000 produce pretty decent video, not GoPro quality but still pretty nice (720p), and their much cheaper.

I just got the Y3000 cam for $40 and dual-locked it to my helmet the other day and went for a quick spin, the result isn't to shabby. Granted I only get about 40 mins of battery time but I can change that if I fell I need it. What I do like is how small it is, about the size of a ping pong ball, so I can mount it pretty much anywhere.

Like I said, the video quality is not quite up to par with the GoPro but I dont really need it at this time. And the $200-$250 I didn't spend on a camera can now go to feed my new "plummeting to earth" addiction.

There is a natural human reluctance to abandon ones entire life and start over somewhere else - Jeff Lindsay
peanut_gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:47 AM   #1328
RidingUpAndDown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
pov, hands free?

New to the HD scene, just started looking...

I'd like to be able to take a still pic or vid of what I'm looking at(helmet or otherwise mounted) and activate the camera remotely/hands free only when I want, like with a small handheld or handlebar mounted remote control/button, iykwim. Instead of setting the camera on and letting it just run, or run every some # sec/mins, or having to snap the pic w/ my finger actually on the camera.(hand off the grip).

Is there something out there, GoPro/Contour... that can be activated by remote control(handheld or handlebar mounted); a RF or Bluetooth button or some such?

Appreciate the advise.

Thanks, d
RidingUpAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #1329
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,821
This one has a wireless remote as well as having the control unit separate from the camera. It's expensive, though. http://pointofviewcameras.com/vio-pov-hd-camera.html

I haven't seen any sample video (haven't looked) as the price is just a bit more than I can justify given I've a perfectly good Contour HD (the older, 780p version).
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #1330
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingUpAndDown View Post
New to the HD scene, just started looking...

I'd like to be able to take a still pic or vid of what I'm looking at(helmet or otherwise mounted) and activate the camera remotely/hands free only when I want, like with a small handheld or handlebar mounted remote control/button, iykwim. Instead of setting the camera on and letting it just run, or run every some # sec/mins, or having to snap the pic w/ my finger actually on the camera.(hand off the grip).

Is there something out there, GoPro/Contour... that can be activated by remote control(handheld or handlebar mounted); a RF or Bluetooth button or some such?

Appreciate the advise.

Thanks, d
I have the VIO POV1.5 non HD version which is a great video camera, just not HD. The newest ones ARE HD. The control interface is, I believe, the same. One of the features that the VIO has is an RF remote. The setup also has an "endless loop" kind of feature that lets you set up a time setting, such as 10 minutes. The camera is turned on via the remote and takes 10 minute clip segments, each one writing over the previous one until you push the RF remote. Then it saves the last clip and the current clip. It also runs continuously with you in control, using the start/ stop function of the remote if you prefer. It's your choice. I hope I am explaining that well enough. It actually works quite well. Once the clips are recorded, you can edit those together into as long a movie as you want but with the clip function, you don't have endless video of boring scenes to go through in your editing process. Just transition your clips together and, voila, you've got a movie. For me, it works very well.

Here is a video shot with the VIO which was combined with some video and stills from my Panasonic Lumix FZ35, my tankbag camera at the time. At about :50 you can see the VIO camera head mounted on the handlebars and from then on, it is video from the VIO POV 1.5 using the clip segment feature. The remote works well. I had it mounted on my tankbag where I could easily get to it. The other thing I like about it is that the controller unit has a small video screen which shows what you are recording as it is being recorded. I mounted the controller also on a RAM unit on my handlebars so I could sorta see what was being recorded (it is small) but it does allow you to know that you are recording what you hoped to record and you can rewind and check your work at any point. Since mine is mounted on the bike the cables are not a problem. I still have not gotten around to mounting it on the helmet but that shouldn't be a problem either. Lots of VIO users do it that way and just have the cord situated around the back of their helmet and into the recording unit.

The quality is also pretty good, looks good on TV but for HD you need to get the new version... and have a very powerful computer if you hope to edit HD video. Real CPU and memory hog. Hope this helps.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #1331
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,821
Another camera with a remote is the Drift HD 170. The end of this month they are supposed to release a newer version that is a bit smaller with a few new features (at a slightly higher price). Revzilla has a video describing the camera on this page: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...-action-camera
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #1332
RidingUpAndDown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
I have the VIO POV1.5 non HD version which is a great video camera, just not HD. The newest ones ARE HD. The control interface is, I believe, the same. One of the features that the VIO has is an RF remote. The setup also has an "endless loop" kind of feature that lets you set up a time setting, such as 10 minutes. The camera is turned on via the remote and takes 10 minute clip segments, each one writing over the previous one until you push the RF remote. Then it saves the last clip and the current clip. It also runs continuously with you in control, using the start/ stop function of the remote if you prefer. It's your choice. I hope I am explaining that well enough. It actually works quite well. Once the clips are recorded, you can edit those together into as long a movie as you want but with the clip function, you don't have endless video of boring scenes to go through in your editing process. Just transition your clips together and, voila, you've got a movie. For me, it works very well.

Here is a video shot with the VIO which was combined with some video and stills from my Panasonic Lumix FZ35, my tankbag camera at the time. At about :50 you can see the VIO camera head mounted on the handlebars and from then on, it is video from the VIO POV 1.5 using the clip segment feature. The remote works well. I had it mounted on my tankbag where I could easily get to it. The other thing I like about it is that the controller unit has a small video screen which shows what you are recording as it is being recorded. I mounted the controller also on a RAM unit on my handlebars so I could sorta see what was being recorded (it is small) but it does allow you to know that you are recording what you hoped to record and you can rewind and check your work at any point. Since mine is mounted on the bike the cables are not a problem. I still have not gotten around to mounting it on the helmet but that shouldn't be a problem either. Lots of VIO users do it that way and just have the cord situated around the back of their helmet and into the recording unit.

The quality is also pretty good, looks good on TV but for HD you need to get the new version... and have a very powerful computer if you hope to edit HD video. Real CPU and memory hog. Hope this helps.

Munch, WoW NICE camera, some steep bucks, but has Significant Feature(s). Thanks for the rundown!!

Btw, 'Holy Cow' Nice Vid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Another camera with a remote is the Drift HD 170. The end of this month they are supposed to release a newer version that is a bit smaller with a few new features (at a slightly higher price). Revzilla has a video describing the camera on this page: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...-action-camera
Marchy, Seems a very worthwhile feature esp for capturing still or action at any point but not everything all the time; as things happen/change so fast while riding and I'd like to be able to easily handlebar-select(on/off) just what/when I capture.

Maybe GoPro and Contour(I see is already Bluetooth enabled) and/or others will see the benefit of this 'handy' feature and add to future versions, can only hope.

Ohh, The Drift HD 170 you mention has definitely raised the bar, GReat features, comparatively decent price. Seriously considering. Hard to beat!

Great info guys, Super Appreciate the feedback!

d

RidingUpAndDown screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 06:44 AM Reason: mod font
RidingUpAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #1333
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,886
I just watched a video sample shot with the Contour Roam, and they actually got the sound sorted out.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #1334
OoPEZoO
Dirtball Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 260
Since the new Contour camera lines have been released, it looks like they are liquidatiing the shit out of the old ContourHD 1080p 1300 models. $119.99 on Tigerdirect and Amazon. I got lucky and ordered mine at the end of last week when Tigerdirect had a sale going on with the same price minus a $20 mail in rebate.

Got the camera last night and was up and running in less than 5 min. Awesome!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #1335
cobrags
Lost ADVR

Oddometer: 655
+1 Vio
Loop is a must so you don't eat up memory card with useless video. I like the magnetic star mount so I put it on the side of the tank. This allows me to take it off to get other video shot and put it back(monitor screen allows varifing alignment).
I have both 1.5 and HD. Love them both(HD: forward, 1.5:rear).

Of all the roads you take, Make sure a few of them are dirt.
cobrags is offline   Reply With Quote