ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #1366
ThomD
Is this thing on?
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 783
I finally picked up a Replay XD 1080. It has the features I was looking for:

When wired to the bike (which I will do eventually), power on auto starts recording. Power off stops recording after 1-5 minutes (user config). Eventually this will be on the bike permanently so that it can my be accident cam.

A full card makes it start over writing older vids instead of just stopping. Quick press of the start/stop button when recording starts a new recording.

The shape (think small flashlight) makes it easy to mount and align. It is currently on my helmet and doesn't cause much/any buffeting at speed. When you turn it on/off and start/stop recording, it vibrates. I can feel this through the helmet, so it is easy to tell if it is recording or not. When it is recording, the on/off button doesn't do anything, so you can't accidentally stop it because you tried to turn it on.

Video quality, as with most, is good. Check youtube for better comparo videos than I could do.
__________________
www.tandemhearts.com
ThomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #1367
Alloveroz
RaceRecall
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne Victoria Australia
Oddometer: 13
Here's some more info and sample videos of the Sony Action Cam
http://actioncam.net.au


RaceRecall.com
Video Cameras, Data Loggers & Drones
6/25-41 Redwood Drive Dingley Village VIC 3172
Australia
(03) 9017 7813
Alloveroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #1368
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,856
The color looks saturated in the 1080P drag race vid
I have high hopes for this camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloveroz View Post
Here's some more info and sample videos of the Sony Action Cam
http://actioncam.net.au


RaceRecall.com
Video Cameras, Data Loggers & Drones
6/25-41 Redwood Drive Dingley Village VIC 3172
Australia
(03) 9017 7813
__________________
Chris
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
CL Adventure Ride 2013 /CL Revisited 2014 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / MY VIDEOS/RIDEFREAK TV
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #1369
Alloveroz
RaceRecall
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne Victoria Australia
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The color looks saturated in the 1080P drag race vid
I have high hopes for this camera.
Might be in their edit. I'm getting stock in the next coupel of days, so stay posted for some side by side comparisons with GoPro etc
Alloveroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #1370
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,856
WiFi Remote in the FM
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833111
__________________
Chris
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
CL Adventure Ride 2013 /CL Revisited 2014 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / MY VIDEOS/RIDEFREAK TV
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #1371
c.vestal
Rally On
 
c.vestal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: COS
Oddometer: 4,866
Finally GoPro...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/10/g...p-iphone-ipad/
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #1372
WVa Dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WVa Dualsport's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Buckhannon, WV
Oddometer: 395
__________________
2010 450 EXC
2012 DL1000 V-Strom
WVa Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #1373
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail
 
munchmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming
Oddometer: 1,374
Which camera is that?

Seems everybody is making "HD" cameras now.

I'm still using my VIO POV 1.5 but like the time lapse feature of these and with higher quality stills, that might move me to buy again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVa Dualsport View Post
__________________
Munchmeister
2002 R1150GS - It's not about the knockdown, it's about the recovery.
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #1374
ThomD
Is this thing on?
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 783
That's a Replay.
__________________
www.tandemhearts.com
ThomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #1375
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail
 
munchmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming
Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomD View Post
That's a Replay.
Really like the form factor, i.e. small, light and tight for the helmet. Not sure I'd have an HDMI screen with me to check framing of my shot, which is one thing I like about the VIO POV, which has a separate DVR unit and 2" screen. But, it has a cord.

I also really like the rotating mount. My rides aren't always that exciting but I would like to turn it to catch some of the scenery along side the road and that little mount would make that pretty easy. Likin' it more and more.

Only issue for me is how frickin' much computer power you need for simple editing of 1080p.
__________________
Munchmeister
2002 R1150GS - It's not about the knockdown, it's about the recovery.
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #1376
c.vestal
Rally On
 
c.vestal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: COS
Oddometer: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
Really like the form factor, i.e. small, light and tight for the helmet. Not sure I'd have an HDMI screen with me to check framing of my shot, which is one thing I like about the VIO POV, which has a separate DVR unit and 2" screen. But, it has a cord.

I also really like the rotating mount. My rides aren't always that exciting but I would like to turn it to catch some of the scenery along side the road and that little mount would make that pretty easy. Likin' it more and more.

Only issue for me is how frickin' much computer power you need for simple editing of 1080p.
Quite sure that is a Contour HD.
Contour GPS and Contour+ models have a bluetooth connection. With a free app and a smartphone you can see the view out the camera and adjust your framing. no extra screen or cables needed. I have even used mine as a backup camera to hook up my trailer

Just about any laptop $500 or more made in the last couple years, can edit 1080p fine. *if you have good software.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #1377
ThomD
Is this thing on?
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
Quite sure that is a Contour HD.
Contour GPS and Contour+ models have a bluetooth connection. With a free app and a smartphone you can see the view out the camera and adjust your framing. no extra screen or cables needed. I have even used mine as a backup camera to hook up my trailer

Just about any laptop $500 or more made in the last couple years, can edit 1080p fine. *if you have good software.
Oops. You are right. You can see the name on the box on the table.
__________________
www.tandemhearts.com
ThomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #1378
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail
 
munchmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming
Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
Quite sure that is a Contour HD.
Contour GPS and Contour+ models have a bluetooth connection. With a free app and a smartphone you can see the view out the camera and adjust your framing. no extra screen or cables needed. I have even used mine as a backup camera to hook up my trailer

Just about any laptop $500 or more made in the last couple years, can edit 1080p fine. *if you have good software.
What do you recommend for the software editing (PC). I've got an older version of CyberLink PowerDirector, vers. 7, I think, which works well enough for 720p despite its goofy interface. Some of the software programs don't seem to keep up with all the various codecs, etc. that these cameras use. This shit gets expensive though, when the Contour line up with blue tooth is around $400 without and add ons. Shit you can buy a decent entry DSLR for that money. Amazing what "small" can cost you.

Recommendations?
__________________
Munchmeister
2002 R1150GS - It's not about the knockdown, it's about the recovery.
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #1379
c.vestal
Rally On
 
c.vestal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: COS
Oddometer: 4,866
For PC, I think Premiere Elements is the best bang for the buck. $100 for the full version. Adobe keeps up with codecs and there is a strong support community behind it. Performance kicks up if you have Windows7 in the 64bit version.


Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
What do you recommend for the software editing (PC). I've got an older version of CyberLink PowerDirector, vers. 7, I think, which works well enough for 720p despite its goofy interface. Some of the software programs don't seem to keep up with all the various codecs, etc. that these cameras use. This shit gets expensive though, when the Contour line up with blue tooth is around $400 without and add ons. Shit you can buy a decent entry DSLR for that money. Amazing what "small" can cost you.

Recommendations?
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #1380
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,132
Novacut has potential...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014