Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #1381
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
Which camera is that?

Seems everybody is making "HD" cameras now.

I'm still using my VIO POV 1.5 but like the time lapse feature of these and with higher quality stills, that might move me to buy again.
Contour HD
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #1382
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
I bought the Sony Action Cam about a week ago and have really enjoyed it. The Zeiss lens is really fantastic but the image stabilization is the biggest plus for me. Smooths out all the jitters. I bought an extra battery and use a 32g micro SD that can hold 4:30 hours of HD video.

The waterproof case is very well made but I have one argument about it. There is a large water tight button which allows you to start/stop the camera. It needs two more smaller ones for the NEXT and PREV buttons. Then all functions could be adjusted with the case on. You can swap from HD to Slow or Super Slow or Interval pictures all from the outside. Fro folks who are water or snow skiing, your going to be opening it up, changing the settings and then closing it back into the case with moisture inside. (NOT GOOD)

For my uses, it's perfect and better that the GoPro. The mounts are good. I mounted mine on the top of my helmet. They side helmet strap is ok but the angle is pitched down making your field of view far too low. I'll use it was a head band for non-helmet us.

The Sony Action Cam is really nice for $199. and I'm happy I bought it!
Kingsized is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #1383
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsized View Post
I bought the Sony Action Cam about a week ago and have really enjoyed it. The Zeiss lens is really fantastic but the image stabilization is the biggest plus for me. Smooths out all the jitters. I bought an extra battery and use a 32g micro SD that can hold 4:30 hours of HD video.

The waterproof case is very well made but I have one argument about it. There is a large water tight button which allows you to start/stop the camera. It needs two more smaller ones for the NEXT and PREV buttons. Then all functions could be adjusted with the case on. You can swap from HD to Slow or Super Slow or Interval pictures all from the outside. Fro folks who are water or snow skiing, your going to be opening it up, changing the settings and then closing it back into the case with moisture inside. (NOT GOOD)

For my uses, it's perfect and better that the GoPro. The mounts are good. I mounted mine on the top of my helmet. They side helmet strap is ok but the angle is pitched down making your field of view far too low. I'll use it was a head band for non-helmet us.

The Sony Action Cam is really nice for $199. and I'm happy I bought it!
Would love to see some footage from you Sony, especially showing the stabilization. Sony has always had stabilization down pretty well, as well as exposure, so I'd love to see whatcha got.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #1384
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
Would love to see some footage from you Sony, especially showing the stabilization. Sony has always had stabilization down pretty well, as well as exposure, so I'd love to see whatcha got.
I'm riding in the morning and will upload some when I get back. Another thing since you mentioned exposure is that it's said to be superior in low light situations. I saw a video a guy made using a GoPro and Action cam side by side and it is far better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSgK2KS0y6Q

And a longer comparison between the two regarding image stabilization. I skipped through it cause it was boring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvfXWzmldYI
Old 10-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #1385
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,841
Here is another good test going from indoor to outdoor light.
This may be my next camera.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/12/s...-sample-video/
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #1386
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer

Well, I now have video but while it shows a steady video, the best comparison is the one I linked to that shows them side by side. It's really the best way to see what the stabilization is doing.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #1387
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Doin a little research on the Sony, found that B&H Photo lists the WiFi version of the Action Cam as the AS-15. From what I can tell the wifi will connect with your phone, etc. running Sony's PlayMemories mobile app. It allows you to grab the video feed, to frame the shots, and allows you to upload the video after the ride using said app. That gets us past the problem of framing the shot. It uses a Sony NP-BX1 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery, so you could buy a second one if you're planning a ride longer than 80 minutes of continuous shooting. The 120 FPS looks cool, Sony does a good job with low light and with the image stabilization, so it may be a good alternative to the GoPro and Contour stuff.

http://youtu.be/Wu8MKceMve4

Found a vid of the wifi on the AS-15

http://youtu.be/ErO_WSgKm2o

munchmeister screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 04:26 PM Reason: another youtube vid
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 AM   #1388
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,492
http://au.oregonscientific.com/cat-Price-sub-$300--prod-ATC9K-HD-Action-Camera.html#

what are these like, chargable battery, 1080p hd, and a remote control at 1/3 of the price of a GoPro?
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #1389
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
http://au.oregonscientific.com/cat-Price-sub-$300--prod-ATC9K-HD-Action-Camera.html#

what are these like, chargable battery, 1080p hd, and a remote control at 1/3 of the price of a GoPro?
The early, non-HD, versions were pretty much dismissed as being terrible. But, hey, everybody's getting on the HD wagon so there may be great improvements. Check out YouTube for some of the comparo's done with this camera, against the GoPro, etc. FWIW, to me it comes down to deciding what features you want. For me, some kind of screen was important. I hate it when I get back home from a ride and the framing was way off. With these super wide angle lenses, you get everything in, but everything also looks so damned small. Compare to your rear view mirror, which warns "objects may appear smaller than they really are..." Same is true for these little video cams. So, if your framing is off, you may end up with 3/4 of the screen showing sky, for example. DAMHIK !

If you are brand new and just wanting to get a feel for these, go cheap but don't expect too much. There is a reason GoPro has stayed at the top of the heap. It's now got about everything you could want... you just have to pay for it. Want a screen? They have a "backpack" for that. Want Wifi? They have a "backpack" for that too. But you'll end up spending closer to $500 than $300. I think that is why the Sony is getting some attention. And the others, too, such as the Replay, the Drift, etc. Sony is known for high quality video in their high end stuff so they oughta know how to build an "action" cam. One version, the Sony HDR-AS15, comes with Wifi, which allows your smartphone to act as your screen, for less moolaa than the GP. It's on the web for $268, & has their SteadyShot image stabilization, which might work well for motocycles. Don't have one, so don't know, but some of the web videos of the HDR-AS15 look pretty good.

Choices, choices. It's a wonderful world, ain't it?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #1390
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Well ive got the atc3k which is good. Never had an issue with ir but the no screen thing. The atc9k has a laser to aim with and a screen.

Your right with the go pro add ons. I like the fact this comes with a remote thats water proof too.

Although im reading the fine print they remove the battery due to post restrictions. We will see. Half the rrp of 300 what i paid anyway. Plenty of chineese batteries for it 12 bux for 2 n charger car n wall though.

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Old 10-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #1391
Alloveroz
RaceRecall

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post

Not a bad camera, bur really flimsy mounts. Broke em the second time I used it.
Alloveroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #1392
Alloveroz
RaceRecall

Oddometer: 13
Pissed Sony Acrtion Cam - DEALBREAKER!!!!

Just been testing my new Sony Action Cam. Good little camera, but with one feature thats a dealbreaker for me. To turn the camera on from cold, you need to take it out of the housing! It's quite a snug fir and so you have to tilt it forward and prise it out of the case.

It can be set to stay on, but that runs down the battery.

How do they expect a person to take a camera out of a mud covered case and turn it on without getting mud everywhere, or worse still, dropping it in the dirt.

This is typical of a design that was made by engineers with no practical experience.

Alloveroz screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 01:04 AM Reason: spelling
Alloveroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #1393
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloveroz View Post
Not a bad camera, bur really flimsy mounts. Broke em the second time I used it.
really, ive had the atc3000 and atc2000 mounts and have never had an issue, not the best or easiest attachment admitting
Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #1394
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloveroz View Post
Just been testing my new Sony Action Cam. Good little camera, but with one feature thats a dealbreaker for me. To turn the camera on from cold, you need to take it out of the housing! It's quite a snug fir and so you have to tilt it forward and prise it out of the case.

It can be set to stay on, but that runs down the battery.

How do they expect a person to take a camera out of a mud covered case and turn it on without getting mud everywhere, or worse still, dropping it in the dirt.

This is typical of a design that was made by engineers with no practical experience.
huh... that sounds like it could be a PITA.. but then even with my GoPro, I am pretty sure when I know I want to film, and when I don't.. so a few extra seconds to remove it to turn it on doesn't sound to far fetched. Also, if the three hour battery life is anywhere near claimed (about three times more then I get with my GP), you can at least leave it on for quite a while without worrying about the batteries dying. Maybe it's something they could fix with a firmware update though.. like having the shutter button on the end, cause the camera to boot up if it's off; and add an auto shutoff feature (unless it already has?) if the camera is not used for a certain amount of time.

I have a question about the mic/sound though. I hate how my GoPro picks up wind noise, but there's a company that makes a wind sock for the camera and others have made their own.. but with the stereo mic's mounted on the front of the Sony, I am thinking it's going to be a problem to cover the mic to reduce/eliminate wind noise. That's MY deal breaker.. cuz I like hearing the motor sounds, and not shrieking wind noise or some lame death metal band added to the clip, when watching my videos..
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #1395
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

what programs are we using to edit the videos, ive been using the free windows movie maker, but want to do picture in picture