Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #1396
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,087
Mmmmmm......

GoPro Hero 3 Black Series...

30% smaller. 25% lighter. 2X faster processor. 4X higher resolution. Wi-Fi enabled.

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #1397
CrustyD3mon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Mmmmmm......

30% smaller. 25% lighter. 2X faster processor. 4X higher resolution. Wi-Fi enabled.

seems amazing....probably my next camera....

CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #1398
onefastrph
Shut up and ride.

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Mmmmmm......

Looping video. Time for an upgrade!

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

R1200GS
onefastrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 AM   #1399
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastrph View Post
Looping video. Time for an upgrade!

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
it loops, like a DVR crash cam?
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:10 AM   #1400
Alloveroz
RaceRecall

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
what programs are we using to edit the videos, ive been using the free windows movie maker, but want to do picture in picture
AVS Video editor is a great little program that will do PIP etc. You can download a trial version and it's around $40 to buy
Alloveroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:14 AM   #1401
Alloveroz
RaceRecall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyD3mon View Post
seems amazing....probably my next camera....

Here's mine...waterproof to 10 metes without the case and a wifi option that takes up no extra space.
http://www.iontheaction.com.au/

One easy slide switch turns the camera recording on and off with no power-up needed.

Alloveroz screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 04:27 AM
Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 AM   #1402
Alloveroz
RaceRecall

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
huh... that sounds like it could be a PITA.. but then even with my GoPro, I am pretty sure when I know I want to film, and when I don't.. so a few extra seconds to remove it to turn it on doesn't sound to far fetched. Also, if the three hour battery life is anywhere near claimed (about three times more then I get with my GP), you can at least leave it on for quite a while without worrying about the batteries dying. Maybe it's something they could fix with a firmware update though.. like having the shutter button on the end, cause the camera to boot up if it's off; and add an auto shutoff feature (unless it already has?) if the camera is not used for a certain amount of time.

I have a question about the mic/sound though. I hate how my GoPro picks up wind noise, but there's a company that makes a wind sock for the camera and others have made their own.. but with the stereo mic's mounted on the front of the Sony, I am thinking it's going to be a problem to cover the mic to reduce/eliminate wind noise. That's MY deal breaker.. cuz I like hearing the motor sounds, and not shrieking wind noise or some lame death metal band added to the clip, when watching my videos..
Sound quality is similar to the GoPro as the mic is still housed inside the plastic case.

Also, read the fine print on the battery life, that is with both batteries combined. On my testing so far, it's closer to one hour one battery, even less if you're using wifi. I drove it to work with the wifi steaming to my iPad for about 20 minutes and the battery indicated on 1/4 left!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #1403
Alloveroz
RaceRecall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloveroz View Post
Just been testing my new Sony Action Cam. Good little camera, but with one feature thats a dealbreaker for me. To turn the camera on from cold, you need to take it out of the housing! It's quite a snug fir and so you have to tilt it forward and prise it out of the case.

It can be set to stay on, but that runs down the battery.

How do they expect a person to take a camera out of a mud covered case and turn it on without getting mud everywhere, or worse still, dropping it in the dirt.

This is typical of a design that was made by engineers with no practical experience.
Here's an update on some testing I did today. Simply drove to work on a sunny spring day, with it suction mounted to the windscreen and by the time I got there, it had fogged up so badly, you could barely see anything. I think this is a function of having to open and close the camera to turn on and off all the time. This allows moisture inside and then the heat from the camera drives the moisture to the coolest part, which is of course, the lens! Looking at the case, it would be difficult to fit even the GoPro antifog bits inside. They only have limited number of uses in any case and the constant opening will soon negate them anyway.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #1404
draven
Here Today

Thumb Sony Action Cam

Hmm, I've been turning mine off and on inside the waterproof case without a problem. To get it out of the case when I want to shoot by hand I just give it a little tap on the back and it pops out enough to grab it.

Overall I've been really impressed with the camera. Underwater videos have been a lot better than I imagined. The software I'm not so keen on. It seems like it takes forever to stream the video to my phone although the remote control via phone is really good. I've only taken it on one long ride on the bike but it performed like a champ, it did get a little foggy on one day when I left it on for over an hour but it was really cold out too. I might try just rubber banding it in the housing when it's not really raining.
draven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #1405
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
what programs are we using to edit the videos, ive been using the free windows movie maker, but want to do picture in picture
Sony Vegas. I'm running 7.0, but I think it's up to 10 or 11 by now.

It's a memory hog and is far from user friendly - but it will do anything. I've done 5 angles in a single view - I think it'll do 10. But, 2 (PiP) is cake.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #1406
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,828
really good footage. Sure it has been sweetened by a pro editor.. but still nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarlyKarle View Post
Have you guys seen this?

Shot with the new GoPro Hero3.

They did a really nice job.

c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #1407
c.vestal
Rally On

After seeing the first hand reports with the Sony, it is not for me.

Here is what I used in my race, any why.

Contour GPS on helmet. It has the best features and form factor for this.
- At the start of the ride, I frame the shot and confirm settings with my Android phone via blutooth.
- While on the ride I can quickly aim and confirm power is on with the lasers and adjust with the pivoting head.

GoPro on chest harness. GoPro has the best form factor for this position.
- Wide lens is perfect for this view. Captures bars of bike, roadbook, forward view.
- Flat shape and harness plate feels good and safe on chest.
- Versions 1& 2 horrid menu and blinking light can be easily seen with the chest mount. Do not need a buddy to confirm.
- Version 3 looks very promising.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #1408
c.vestal
Rally On

I was able to demo this camera at the Indy Dealer show last Feb. I have not seen it available to purchase yet.
It was real small and has similar specs of the Contour.
http://www.liquidimageco.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liquidi...7628765221063/
Old 10-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #1409
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
im still waiting for my atc9000 to arrive but im thinking of buying the gps module for it, but i recon that will chew batteries, but i have ordered 5 batteries for it, for quick swapping over.

anybody used the gps?
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #1410
c.vestal
Rally On

I would get this before the Sony. Just for the out of the box features.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...beat-the-gopro