ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #1411
robdogg
turnip truck driver
 
robdogg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: wren-tonne, WA
Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
I would get this before the Sony. Just for the out of the box features.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...beat-the-gopro


based on feature set alone, I'd say the JVC has missed the mark a bit.. the only feature advantage that I can see over the Sony, is the waterproof/shockproof case.. the Sony has image stabilization (which is a huge improvement for helmet and bike mounted video), 4x slow motion and even the high end Sony version is $100 cheaper ($150 less then JVC if you don't want/need wifi).. the JVC seems to be directed at taking on the GoPRO 2, not the Sony or even the GoPRO 3.. now if they dropped the price by $100, then it would be of interest, but it would really depend on image and sound quality, which trump any and all features IMO

but I personally think image stabilization is just too good a feature to pass up.
__________________
"ride hard, live righteously"
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #1412
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail
 
munchmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming
Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post


based on feature set alone, I'd say the JVC has missed the mark a bit.. the only feature advantage that I can see over the Sony, is the waterproof/shockproof case.. the Sony has image stabilization (which is a huge improvement for helmet and bike mounted video), 4x slow motion and even the high end Sony version is $100 cheaper ($150 less then JVC if you don't want/need wifi).. the JVC seems to be directed at taking on the GoPRO 2, not the Sony or even the GoPRO 3.. now if they dropped the price by $100, then it would be of interest, but it would really depend on image and sound quality, which trump any and all features IMO

but I personally think image stabilization is just too good a feature to pass up.
Just FYI, the specs listed in the link include "Digital Image Stabilizer (DIS)" which might be similar to Sony's stabilization. All the Mfg's seem to call stabilization by different names. In the DSLR world, Nikon's is "VR" and Canon's is "IS." Just something to check if that is a feature you're interested in. I like the fact that it has a built in screen so you don't have to f**k with a smart phone to frame your shot and get the mount set right. The last thing I want to do is suck the minimal life out of my Droid battery, when that might be the thing I need to use to call for help or a tow.

BTW, just checked B&H Photo, they list the JVC "in stock" for $299.
__________________
Munchmeister
2002 R1150GS - It's not about the knockdown, it's about the recovery.
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #1413
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,490
ell my atc9k arrived today, it arrived in a giant box, concerned i opened it to find the tiny atc9k in the bottom surrounded by bags of air.

it wasnt ment to come with a battery and its like a blister packet, no battery in it, but wait, whats that poped out into the corner, the battery, yay, screw u ups postage.

set it up with the gps module, battery, etc, cant wait to use it. sees pretty good so far,

although the installation cd is concerning, all that was on it was an auto run file to load up the download site on its website. why did they bother.

http://youtu.be/9OodS9HcNIY

a small test with ym new atc9000, need to work on mounting points, it was a bit loose when i strapped it down on the pannier.
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #1414
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,490



trying to work out this software, it records it in a MOV file, not avi, like the atc3000, so its a bit fiddly to edit.

the gps records it into a file, it doesnt display it on the actual video, although will if you watch it via a hdmi cable from the unit,

as to the g accelerometer,

the software that comes with ti, will ply the video, a round gforce ball and a google map with the gps, but it doesnt export the file, or anything else, just watch it

hard to edit mov files, silly things, but heres an audioless hd version
http://youtu.be/F236byHqvLc.

Storm Shadow screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 05:10 AM
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #1415
c.vestal
Rally On
 
c.vestal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: COS
Oddometer: 4,830
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/07/drift-hd-ghost/
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #1416
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,093
ATC Chameleon anyone?
http://us.oregonscientific.com/chameleon/
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #1417
c.vestal
Rally On
 
c.vestal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: COS
Oddometer: 4,830
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/13/g...us-adventures/

c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #1418
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am
 
darkstarmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: SEPA
Oddometer: 323
Bit the bullet and put a Drift HD Ghost on pre-order. The features sound really good and they are offering $100 in accessories during pre-order time...should ship on the 19th.
__________________
Current Beaters:
08 KTM 530 EXC-R - 07 Ducati MTS1100S - Redneck Engineering Mutant

darkstarmoto screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 01:55 PM
darkstarmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #1419
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,649
Soggy GoPro

See what happens when you hit a big puddle and you don't have the GoPro in it's waterproof case. Skip to 6:36 if you don't want to watch the whole clip. Also had some problems with fogging on the other GoPro.

__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #1420
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail
 
munchmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming
Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarmoto View Post
Bit the bullet and put a Drift HD Ghost on pre-order. The features sound really good and they are offering $100 in accessories during pre-order time...should ship on the 19th.
Keep us posted, bro. The Drift HD hits a lot of the features on my list, especially the built in screen. WiFi schmi fi, I don't really want to have to f**k with a smart (SLOW) cell phone to frame my shots. And a remote. I have a VIO POV and love having the screen AND a remote. But it has the camera head with a cable to the DVR unit so ya got a cord running down the back of the helmet, then have to stick the DVR unit in your pocket or something. I'm gonna keep that one mounted on the bike and am looking for a helmet mounted cam, to get those multiple points of view which, IMHO, are what make a video interesting. They are selling a 720p version too, for very little money, comparatively. Me likey.
__________________
Munchmeister
2002 R1150GS - It's not about the knockdown, it's about the recovery.
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #1421
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am
 
darkstarmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: SEPA
Oddometer: 323
Will do...this is going to be my 1st POV camera so it might take me a bit to figure out how everything works. The main feature that really did it for me was the ability to leave it in loop mode and tag anything up to 5 minutes old to save instead of shooting hours of footage and having to weed thru it all in order to find "that moment". Of course there's also the 2way remote...something so simple but still so genius. As I understand it I can have it running in loop mode and shoot still photos at the same time, also very high on my list.

The only reason I never got a POV before is my friends have GoPro's and I found it really annoying to keep being asked to check to see if the things were recording...nothing wrong with the footage quality, just annoyed it couldn't be easier. We're planning to do a ride in Coloardo next spring and I wanted something stone stupid easy to work with. Hopefully this is it.
__________________
Current Beaters:
08 KTM 530 EXC-R - 07 Ducati MTS1100S - Redneck Engineering Mutant
darkstarmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #1422
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail
 
munchmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming
Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarmoto View Post
Will do...this is going to be my 1st POV camera so it might take me a bit to figure out how everything works. The main feature that really did it for me was the ability to leave it in loop mode and tag anything up to 5 minutes old to save instead of shooting hours of footage and having to weed thru it all in order to find "that moment". Of course there's also the 2way remote...something so simple but still so genius. As I understand it I can have it running in loop mode and shoot still photos at the same time, also very high on my list.

The only reason I never got a POV before is my friends have GoPro's and I found it really annoying to keep being asked to check to see if the things were recording...nothing wrong with the footage quality, just annoyed it couldn't be easier. We're planning to do a ride in Coloardo next spring and I wanted something stone stupid easy to work with. Hopefully this is it.
The VIO POV has a remote and mine has the loop mode which I love for the very reason you give: time. I've been shooting photos for decades but video is all about time. And the time it takes to go through long video clips so you can assemble a reasonably watchable one is, well, painful. Of course, having a really, really fast computer and intuitive software helps the editing process. But the loop mode enables you to capture that great curve and canyon you just went through 5 minutes ago. Yes. 5 minutes ago. It is pretty cool. What you end up with is meaningful clips and you can pick and choose among those, then assemble your video. The remote on the VIO POV, in clip mode, also works well. Just hit the button when you want to record a few secs, then hit stop and you have a clip. Not a fricking hour of footage no one wants to see.

But, I digress.

The VIO also has a screen. Again, I agree with your point. "Didja get it... didja get it???" If you don't have a screen you won't be able to answer that until you get home. Not acceptable to me. I gotta have a screen. If I need to re-do the shot, I want to know before I get home.

Anxious to hear more about this unit.
__________________
Munchmeister
2002 R1150GS - It's not about the knockdown, it's about the recovery.
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #1423
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
But the loop mode enables you to capture that great curve and canyon you just went through 5 minutes ago. Yes. 5 minutes ago. It is pretty cool. What you end up with is meaningful clips and you can pick and choose among those, then assemble your video. The remote on the VIO POV, in clip mode, also works well. Just hit the button when you want to record a few secs, then hit stop and you have a clip. Not a fricking hour of footage no one wants to see.
As does the new GoPro.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #1424
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail
 
munchmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado and Cheyenne, Wyoming
Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
As does the new GoPro.
No doubt, it is a competitive world and it is nice to have all these choices. The Hero 3 Black with its LCD Touch BacPac shows up at about $490 in the shopping cart. That's a bit more than the Drift, but it might be a better value since it comes with the familiar GP shell case making it waterproof. Some of the comparo's on YouTube are helpful if ya haven't bought yet. I'm still waffling.
__________________
Munchmeister
2002 R1150GS - It's not about the knockdown, it's about the recovery.
munchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #1425
max384
Disgruntled Student
 
max384's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sugar Notch, PA
Oddometer: 3,053
I just ordered the Sony Action Cam with Wifi. It was a tough choice, as there are now so many new 'action style cameras' available now. Budget was certainly a factor for me, so although there seems to be plenty of shortcomings to the Sony, for what I plan to use it for, it seems the Sony has the most bang for the buck. I also liked the video quality on this camera when watching comparison videos with the new GoPro white and silver editions.

I'll report back once I get a chance to put the camera through its paces.
__________________
'09 Suzuki SV650, '02 KLR250, CRF70 and 80 for the kids
IBA # 56419

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014