Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Rob Healy OP
Metropolis Hopper

Oddometer: 5
KLR 650 develops high idle when warm

Hello All,

Searched through the threads and ingested a lot of Stu's advice on wrenching on your KLR before posting this. I'm not looking for a diagnosis (well maybe a little diagnosis) on this problem as much as I'm looking for some courage to undertake the repair.

I have owned this used KLR since January and put about 3,500 miles on it since then. Just passed the 10K mark last week and threw 520 miles on it this weekend doing my Jersey City to Boston 2-Tank Evaporator Trip.

Anyhow, on the return I pulled into a rest stop and while parking realized my idle was up to like 1700 RPM. I've had the bike creep up to 1500 from my normal 1300 in strange weather, but this was excessive. I got a coffee, had a cig and restarted it and all was back to normal around 1250 to 1300.

That was in no. CT. By the time I approached traffic near the GWB, I went to make a stop and when I pulled in the clutch the thing was at like 4000 RPM!

I cracked the throttle to see if it was a stuck cable. No dice. Pulled over after the bridge and looked to see where the stop was in relation to the idle screw on throttle release. Was resting fine on the screw. Sat for a minute or two scratching my head and was on my way again. When starting, Idle was down to around 2000.

Once I got back to JC the thing was howling again. Parked her for the night.

Took her up to my garage the next day and when I started the bike, all was fine. Within a minute of her idling, i noticed the RPM creeping up to 2K. By the time I got the 0.75 miles to my garage idle was around 3K.

So, throttle return is out of the question. Choke worked as expected when I started her the next morning. When I wanted no enrichment, I killed the choke and the RPMs went to normal.

From what I have read, this seems like it must be time for intake valve adjustment? I'm just saying, I got the bike with 7K and it's now got 10.5K with no other servicng aside from 2 oil and filter changes.

Safe to say it's time for the valves to be tended to? The guy I got the bike from never gave me the owner's manual so should I do a bunch of other servicing at this mileage mark?

Thanks much,
Rob

Rob Healy screwed with this post 06-30-2008 at 01:39 PM
Rob Healy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,788
I've seen a small rock get stuck in the linkage where the cables terminate on the side of the carb more than once.
It's only one screw to remove the assembly from the carb body and take a peek...

I'll bet if you do the valves, you will find the problem.

Check the fitting on the left side of the carb where the enricher (choke) bolts on. It's common to crack the plastic there...

With the tank off and the carb, airbox, choke, and carb boots right there just take a look at everything and you'll find it.

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
reverend
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
This sounds like a vacuum leak. Though just when it's hot...?

It wouldn't take that much time to loosen the carb and twist it, then pop the cover and bowl off and just inspect and clean.

Torn diaphragm (would that cause your issue? no idea)?

Baffle between carb and cylinder torn?
reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
farmer fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,493
Vacuum leak, or stock lean jetting. Has the idle screw plug been drilled out?
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Rob Healy OP
Metropolis Hopper

Oddometer: 5
THanks for the suggestions all.

Idle has not been drilled out. The carb is in nice, stock shape.

I've been road cruising on the old shovel for the last 3 weeks, so I've been lax about tracking this down.

Will post results upon fix
Rob Healy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,302
The next time you see it, physically confirm that the throttle linkage is at the idle stop at the carb.

Make sure that the choke (enricher) cable is not have any signifigant tension at the carb connection point.

I'd also recommend that you check the bands/clamps on the carb boots and make sure they are tight.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
grit.grease
moto hobo

Oddometer: 83
i would guess vac leak too, a crack or a hose fitting that expands with heat.
grit.grease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by grit.grease
i would guess vac leak too, a crack or a hose fitting that expands with heat.
A vacuum leak would make it pop or backfire a lot.
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
If it's a vacuum leak, you should be able to find the leak using some ether. Just spray around the carb or vacuum lines. You should hear it rev up if there's a leak. Ether is not very good for the engine though, but I have found a lot of leaking vacuum lines this way.

Make sure your throttle linkage opens freely and closes freely when the handlebars are at full lock (both sides) and in the center. Like mentionned earlier, a visual at the carb making sure the throttle returns at its idle stop is a good idea.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #10
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 7,102
Sounds like the choke, er... enricher, is still on.
KiLeR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,726
Lots of good suggestions, but I would just go for a good carb clean first. I've seen a dirty carb cause a "hung" idle like this.
I doubt it's valve related.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
Epicrat
n00b

Oddometer: 1
High Idle

Experiencing the same thing on my KLR650, did you every figure out what was causing it on your bike. Thanks
Epicrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,479
Leaking enricher is my first guess, then mebby the diaphragm(s).

Has the slide been drilled? That makes the throttle more touchy & magnifies a small problem.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
feetfirst
n00b

Oddometer: 4
OP sent me a reply as I was having the same issue. In the spirit of posterity here it is:

[the problem was at the grip at the fastener from the cable. I never thought to look as that little boot is always over it and couldn't understand how it could come loose but all I did was pull out the small amount of slack, tightened the nut and no more fast idle!"
feetfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:30 PM   #15
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by feetfirst View Post
OP sent me a reply as I was having the same issue. In the spirit of posterity here it is:

[the problem was at the grip at the fastener from the cable. I never thought to look as that little boot is always over it and couldn't understand how it could come loose but all I did was pull out the small amount of slack, tightened the nut and no more fast idle!"
But how would that change when the bike heats up? My KLR has the same high idle when hot, when I have been in stuck in stop and go traffic for a long time. But when it is running cooler, I only have a little upwards creep with the idle speed. It hasn't gotten worse than 2000 rpm yet, so I have just ignored it. I just figure it is the result of an older carburated bike. (2001, 13,000 miles).

I will check the cable however. But that doesn't explain why it gets worse when the bike heats up. I am interested in more suggestions.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote