Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
huggybear OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Zumo battery charger

With the Zumo 450 motorcycle kit as advertized on many sites, I see nothing about rechargeing the battery, does anyone no if a charger comes with the kit
Thanks
huggybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 34,352
Garmin shows it as an accessory for 20 bucks.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
huggybear OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
Garmin shows it as an accessory for 20 bucks.
So any time You are hooked to 12 volt bike power it is recharging the battery, is this correct
Thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
I'm confused. Are you trying to charge the battery in the Zumo or a second battery that is not in the Zumo? The battery in the Zumo will charge whenever the Zumo has external power.
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear
So any time You are hooked to 12 volt bike power it is recharging the battery, is this correct
Thanks
Partially. It will charge the battery if the Zumo is on and the cradle has external power. If the Zumo is off it will not charge the battery.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
huggybear OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcrashnthru
Partially. It will charge the battery if the Zumo is on and the cradle has external power. If the Zumo is off it will not charge the battery.
Thanks this is what I was looking for, I went to Garmins site several times and they don't mention charging also called them and was told there was a 45 min wait
Old 07-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,320
Quote:
I don't think that is quite right. When I shut my zumo off and the cradle is still hot, it continues to charge. When I shut it off, the screen goes black with a faint white message in the center of the display that says "Charging Battery" or something like that. Once the battery is charged, it goes to sleep.

You should also be able to charge the zumo from a PC with the USB cable, and the charger is just that, just like a PDA. If you have a cell/PDA charger at home, try it and see if it works first. There are two flavors of chargers, both with the same mini USB connector, who knows, you might get lucky.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
I don't think that is quite right. When I shut my zumo off and the cradle is still hot, it continues to charge. When I shut it off, the screen goes black with a faint white message in the center of the display that says "Charging Battery" or something like that. Once the battery is charged, it goes to sleep.

You should also be able to charge the zumo from a PC with the USB cable, and the charger is just that, just like a PDA. If you have a cell/PDA charger at home, try it and see if it works first. There are two flavors of chargers, both with the same mini USB connector, who knows, you might get lucky.
+1. Also it uses a standard USB charging configuration. If you have any USB cable that fits into the mini USB port of the Zumo you can charge your battery. I have done this using an AC charger with a mini USB on one end and a Regular USB on another, using my computer with another cable that fits, my CLA for my car works, and of course, the cradle, as long as power is hot to the cradle... It's great!!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,320
Only catch is that there are some chargers with the mini-usb connector that run at 3.3V that might not cut it. I had one for Motorola that wouldn't work with the zumo or my wife's crackberry.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
1. The car cradle and the wall charger will charge when the
Zumo
is switched off.

2. The motorcycle cradle will not continue to charge if the
Zumo
is switched off. This allows wiring the cradle directly to the battery without worrying about sucking the bike's battery dry.

3. If you try and power the
Zumo
through the mini-USB with a non-
Garmin
charger, the
Zumo
may power up in data mode. If this happens, you will need a PC or a battery compartment wrench handy as the
Zumo
won't leave this mode without
connecting
to a PC and then being "safely removed" from the O/S.

( Note to self: don't use the Googlebar spell checker when the Firefox spell checker is active.)
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 AM   #11
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Quote:

I was referring to the motorcycle cradle. It does not charge the battery if the Zumo is off.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:46 AM   #12
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,865
Quote:
I was referring to the motorcycle cradle. It does not charge the battery if the Zumo is off.
And what Phil said was that it would charge if there was power to the cradle. If you have it hooked up to switched power on the bike, instead of always on, then it would not charge.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:31 AM   #13
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-950
And what Phil said was that it would charge if there was power to the cradle. If you have it hooked up to switched power on the bike, instead of always on, then it would not charge.
What I said was, the Zumo will not charge in the motorcycle cradle if the Zumo is off. I didn't say power to the cradle was off. I have mine wired directly to the battery and I usually leave it in the cradle when the bike is in my garage. I just shut the Zumo off. I have measured the power draw myself as have others over on the Zumo forum. The Zumo DOES NOT charge the battery in the motorcycle cradle if the Zumo is off.

It does this in the car mount because the car has the battery power to charge the Zumo completely without wiping out the battery. This is not true of some bikes.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
sandstorm
Odd

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Only catch is that there are some chargers with the mini-usb connector that run at 3.3V that might not cut it. I had one for Motorola that wouldn't work with the zumo or my wife's crackberry.
mAh counts too, higher the better.
sandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #15
Videolester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr

3. If you try and power the
Zumo
through the mini-USB with a non-
Garmin
charger, the
Zumo
may power up in data mode. If this happens, you will need a PC or a battery compartment wrench handy as the
Zumo
won't leave this mode without
connecting
to a PC and then being "safely removed" from the O/S.
This is true, but after you disconnect the ZUMO from a non ZUMO charger, you can leave this mode by pressing the power button and the "+" button on the unit simultaneously.
Videolester is offline   Reply With Quote