Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,497
Fresh Skunkworks Panniers

Ken's special Skunk Works that is....
A pair of Black 1550 Pelicans measuring 34" side to side mounted to a custom pannier mount system. Its been in the works for a while and needs a little tweeking to make it uber cool, but over all I am super happy with the result.

Coming up in the Skunk Lab is a 2-1 muffler and a AUX fuel tank that will mount on the left where the muffler was.

The 1550s are mounted to the lids so the major volume is in the down position when loading, then the bungee helps keep things in place while closing. My Dell 830 laptop and bag fits easily into the case.

bungee clips to a small Stainless hook that is mounted to the opposite side

Head2Wind screwed with this post 07-07-2008 at 06:03 AM Reason: better title.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Cool2 really neat-0 pelican 1550 mounts

maybe I should have used a different title. No comments? wow

I guess that I am the only one that is excited

I have also verified that the new POS camera that Head2Wife purchased is truely a Piece of C@#$@#$^%@#$%^P
Old 07-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind
maybe I should have used a different title. No comments? wow

I guess that I am the only one that is excited

I have also verified that the new POS camera that Head2Wife purchased is truely a Piece of C@#$@#$^%@#$%^P
Maybe folks are just so overwhelmed that they are speechless
I love Pelican products. You go brother

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Madhatter
More bike than brains

Oddometer: 154
Thumb Why?

Very cool Ken, but why? You didn't like the Gobi boxes? Too many euros? Too small? Why reinvent the wheel here?

Of more interest to me is the 2-1 pipe project. What is the advantage of 2-1 exhaust? I like the idea of the fuel can for sure, but are there benefits to going 2-1?

Jack
Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
but are there benefits to going 2-1?
Weight saving.
Some tests have shown slightly improved bottom end torque too - else very little diff, performance-wise.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:51 AM   #6
mutt2jeff
Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer: 972
I have a 2-1 on order for my adventure, main reason being that I can do useful things with the space saved, spare gas, tool holder, any number of things. All for $700, making it one of the cheapest exhaust options as well.

The only thing Homeopathy cures is dehydration.
mutt2jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:55 AM   #7
AntoD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutt2jeff
I have a 2-1 on order for my adventure, main reason being that I can do useful things with the space saved, spare gas, tool holder, any number of things. All for $700, making it one of the cheapest exhaust options as well.
With a 2 to 1 you also loose some low end torque as well though....if you do nto mind that...no problem.
AntoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Head2Wind OP
MotorcycleMayhem

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Very cool Ken, but why? You didn't like the Gobi boxes? Too many euros? Too small? Why reinvent the wheel here?

Of more interest to me is the 2-1 pipe project. What is the advantage of 2-1 exhaust? I like the idea of the fuel can for sure, but are there benefits to going 2-1?

Jack
I suppose that there is not so much new about this nor do most find the need to reinvent this particular wheel. I just can't help myself.

1: My bike is a early 04 that did not come with the Gobi boxes nor the mount system . the PO did not buck up for the system. Hell, it only had 562 miles on it when I purchased it in Dec 06
2: I wanted as narrow of a total package as possible. I don't know how many times Hammer and Furndog had to get off their bikes to open vehicle gates when I could slip through the man gates on the KVR. I did not have these bags then but it is part of the incentive to go as narrow as possible.
3: Yes, I am frugal (cheap, parsimonious?) . I am just not into spending $300 +/- for the KTM mount system and another 3-400 +/- for a pair of Gobi bags that fall off. This set up so far: $200 total + my time and they are not going to fall off.
4:Why Pelican 1550s? they are "just the right size" (for me at least). They side load. they are black. they are inexpensive for quality that you get. they will be narrower than a Gobi and have better exterior to interior volume capabilites.

The 2-1 exhaust is driven by the desire to keep it simple, reduce overall weight, open up the left side for a AUX fuel tank. Most with a ADV are not looking to carry extra fuel (unlike the SE crowd) and for those who are, they are willing to do it with a TourTech or a MSR jug. Agian, I want to keep it tight and clean, so an extra 3-5 liters of fuel tucked into the bike somewhere is my preference if I can manage it. There will be a slight change in performance, probably slightly less peak HP, maybe a little reduced TQ. There has been a fair bit of development with the SE running a 2-1, most like the result. I just picked up a used SS supertrap and a secondary pipe from a SM.... A little metal carving and welding and I will have 2-1 to test. If I don't like it I can go back to the stock 2-2 can solution.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoD
With a 2 to 1 you also loose some low end torque as well though....if you do nto mind that...no problem.
No you dont! You gain low to mid and loose a little on top. Do your homework.
woodchuckexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc
Do your homework.
Meeow!
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
Madhatter
More bike than brains

Oddometer: 154
Pelicans

The previous owner did put a rack and Gobi's on my 950A, and so far I like 'em well enough. I could do w/o the double wall feature. Just makes 'em wider. But overall I like them. Didn't hear about them falling off though...

How much space do you save with the Pelicans? I suspect that Pelicans will also stand up to the occasional ding a bit better than the H&B plastic. Pelicans are tough.

I'd make a liner bag, or bags, for them to make loading/unloading easier. Side loading has it's advantages, but I have found bags make it easier to use side loaders.

Very cool project though.

Please post pics of the 2-1 exhaust and fuel system. These bikes could benefit from a bit more fuel capacity IMNoobO. (I carry a couple 1L bottles as you predicted .)

Cheers,

Jack
Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #12
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,403
What he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc
+1
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
AntoD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc View Post
What a jerk....

Did you do yours?
Cause I have the damn thing on for years.

AntoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,513
AntoD,

Do you realize that reply was from 4 years ago? I think we are all past it now.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Nice that he could finally get it off his chest and move on with his life.