Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #1
Tripped1 OP
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,944
Pirelli Angle GTs

Ok so who's running them.

I have about a thousand miles on mine and I STILL can't get the pressures right. Starting from 30f/35r yesterday, hot pressures were 34f (good) 41r (da fuq?) just from slabbing it from SD to Orange Co. Get up in the hills and after a couple passes a decent clip really working them I got the same result.

Max pressure is 43 PSI, but I've never had tires with that big of a pressure spread, I'm looking at 30/37 front/rear, this is a new one for me. Its not like I'm pushing the load rating, its a 460pound bike on a 75W.

Anyone having the same issue.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,631
What are they installed on?

I run 40R/35F on the Tuono. Don't bother to check hot pressures. I know what I like feelwise after 100K on the bike.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
all the reviews say they are one of the most sporty sport touring tires.

Here are several reviews

http://www.testberichte.de/p/pirelli...stbericht.html

what issues are you having? i would run the pressures listed on your bike and maybe drop a lb or 2 from there if needed but I do not see a few lbs low or high making any noticeable difference. if you are running extreme low or extreme high pressures then yes but not a few lbs +/-.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
Tripped1 OP
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
What are they installed on?

I run 40R/35F on the Tuono. Don't bother to check hot pressures. I know what I like feelwise after 100K on the bike.
1290 Super Duke

Like I said the front is fine, I've just never seen a pressure spread over 6psi on street tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
what issues are you having? i would run the pressures listed on your bike and maybe drop a lb or 2 from there if needed but I do not see a few lbs low or high making any noticeable difference. if you are running extreme low or extreme high pressures then yes but not a few lbs +/-.
I'm just using the 10% rule like I always do.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Never run Angels. I do 33f/36r on my gen 2 Tuono, but current rubber is Q2. Seems fine, but never checked them hot either.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

what is the problem you are having?

bad handling?

tread wear?

flat tires?

wrong color?

smell funny?
Old 04-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Tripped1 OP
Likely Lost.

Quote:
what is the problem you are having?

bad handling?

tread wear?

flat tires?

wrong color?

smell funny?
Excessive pressure differences between hot and cold, 6 PSI from a 35psi tires is too much, which means that its low.

The front is find though at 30 psi, so I was asking if anyone has similar experiences.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Akronorka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I just switched to gt's from q2's. But I never check my tire pressure hot. Only cold once or twice a week. Am I missing something here?
Akronorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
Tripped1 OP
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronorka View Post
I just switched to gt's from q2's. But I never check my tire pressure hot. Only cold once or twice a week. Am I missing something here?
Ten percent rule, the pressure should only move around 10% between hot and cold.

So for mine
Front: 30 psi cold 34psi hot ,~12% it's quibbling, I'm like 1 psi low cold, likely less.

Rear 35 cold 41 hot, that 15% which usually means it's too low, gathering extra heat etc. Bad for wear, on a street tire.

However, I'm WAY up from where I started and the PSI spread is starting to sound alarm bells.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

is it causing performance issues for you? i really do not measure tire pressure like that. i roll it out in the morning, check it and get it close and do not worry about it until the next day.

even at the track i will do a run, to get it up to temps check the psi and im good to go.

i really do not see what the issue is you are having. do you feel it is causing traction issues or something?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #11
Tripped1 OP
Likely Lost.

Quote:
is it causing performance issues for you? i really do not measure tire pressure like that. i roll it out in the morning, check it and get it close and do not worry about it until the next day.

even at the track i will do a run, to get it up to temps check the psi and im good to go.

i really do not see what the issue is you are having. do you feel it is causing traction issues or something?
Nah they feel fine, more concerned about wear. Poor bike spends to much time up and down.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:53 AM   #12
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,631
150HP/90lb-ft TQ and you are concerned about tire wear? Run 41 PSI and be ginger with the loud switch.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #13
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 1,094
I've had a set on the K16 for right around 2000 miles. I'm running 42/43 and have noticed minimal wear so far. I'm not gentle on them.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:12 AM   #14
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Ten percent rule, the pressure should only move around 10% between hot and cold.

So for mine

Front: 30 psi cold 34psi hot ,~12% it's quibbling, I'm like 1 psi low cold, likely less.

Rear 35 cold 41 hot, that 15% which usually means it's too low, gathering extra heat etc. Bad for wear, on a street tire.

However, I'm WAY up from where I started and the PSI spread is starting to sound alarm bells.

Where are you getting this "rule"?
Unless it's from Pirelli for those tires your just making stuff up. Also a 150 V-Twin puts incredible amounts of torque into the rear tire, and if it concerns you that much you should probably take them off immediately and start using some race slicks. They handle heat way better that the touring tires. That way you will know for sure your getting the maximum traction available.
Like mentioned earlier, if your concerned about wear, you bought the wrong bike and or need to get out of the throttle.
This endorsement is coming from a ex racer on a RC51 now mellowed on a newer Multistrada.

Sent from my iPhat
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:39 PM   #15
Tripped1 OP
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Where are you getting this "rule"?
Unless it's from Pirelli for those tires your just making stuff up. Also a 150 V-Twin puts incredible amounts of torque into the rear tire, and if it concerns you that much you should probably take them off immediately and start using some race slicks. They handle heat way better that the touring tires. That way you will know for sure your getting the maximum traction available.
Like mentioned earlier, if your concerned about wear, you bought the wrong bike and or need to get out of the throttle.
This endorsement is coming from a ex racer on a RC51 now mellowed on a newer Multistrada.

Sent from my iPhat
FFS, where to start
1) If I was worried about max traction, I wouldn't have bought sport TOURING tires.
2) Pirelli "doesnt have a fitment" for a SDR, which means nothing since they do for both the Busa and ZX-14, both heavier and more powerful bikes, with the same size rear.
3) Google 10% rule tires....seriously, I leaned that one 15 years ago when I was racing.
4) I'm worried about the rear being underinflated and squaring early.
5) I'm fine with the throttle, tires usually last me longer than average i.e. the stock tires lasting 8000 miles, the were fucked, but barely to the wear bars....All the way across.

Any other self righteous bullshit you would like to sound at me?