Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
tessalino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Where do you ride when you feel the need..

..for speed?

I read about your bikes and the mods you make and am sure you like to wind it out periodically. I ride a '14 Triumph Scrambler with Arrow 2 into 1 w/baffle removed and have only been riding since August 2014. But I find myself enjoying to push the bike every so often.

But we have speed laws around here and I swear, 1 PoPo for every five drivers.

Where do you go?

Also, do those little radar detectors for motorcycles actually work?
tessalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Kawasakirob
flick the bean

Oddometer: 1,182
When I really want to open her up I turn my neighborhood into a race track. If I really really really want to turn up the speed I'll go ride in a school zone.

Seriously though, If you want to be super sneaky invest in a jammer. They are not cheap and not all of them do a good job. They may also be illegal in your state, so don't get caught if you start jammin. If you can mount 4 to your bike- front, rear and sides- you will be sitting pretty. When radar is hitting you you will come up as a "malfunction" on the radar gun. Once you slow down, toggle the jammer off and the gun will show your speed at the legal limit. Blows the hell out of a radar detector.

Kawasakirob screwed with this post 04-18-2015 at 10:28 AM
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,021
Speed laws here too but there are some long straight stretches of state highway that get less LE attention. I get that firsthand from my next door neighbor, CHP...
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,640
The closest place for me is near Austin. Speed limit is 85mph which helps if you are going to break the ton and plus. It's a bit deserted too - I don't agree with speeding and putting others at risk-. but that stretch is a bit straight with very few sweeping easy turns, the nicest thing is the Circuit of Americas which comes in point bc if you really want to open in up, try a track day. Cheaper and safer if you have a mishap - either a ticket or knock on wood worse.
But fo me speed is not real fun, turns are real fun. There are places like US129 where speed is not the key, skills is.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
tessalino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Points taken and yes, any situation that puts others at risk is verboten.

So I guess it's expressway hops for me when I want to go fast. We don't have tracks around here and any area that requires "skill" (twisties) has lower speed limits.

I was just curious as to what you long time riders do.

And I'm sure the poster that likes to open it up in his neighborhood is well liked by all.
tessalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
Buliwyf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Were do you live? There's tracks everywhere. My friends wonder why I don't "squid about", it's because I get that out of my system at the track or offroad.

Mid Ohio
Nelsons Ledges
VIR
COTA

...are all easy vacations.

Wayne National Forest
Wellsville

Going 30mph in the woods = 150 on the tarmac. Numbered streets don't test either of my bikes. The DRZ needs singltrack to be the most fun. My Ducati laughs at 100+ on the street, not even fun, just stupid.

The best skill for 129: Being able to dodge oncoming traffic in your lane trying to run you over.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
I live 20 miles south of St. Louis, Mo in a rural community. I ride all of the back roads (most of the time on my KLR) and rarely see the LEO. A good thing about the KLR is you can ride it aggressively, but rarely do you break the law!!!! I always tell everyone that I do my best thinking on my motorcycle or lawn tractor.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #8
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,631
50 west,42 south,93 west,32 west,219 north,24 north,50 east back to the beginning. Oh 'bout 150 miles of mountainous twisty roads virtually devoid of aggressive LEOs. Traffic can be a bitch on 50 but there's plenty of legal passing zones with good sight lines.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #9
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessalino View Post
..for speed?

I read about your bikes and the mods you make and am sure you like to wind it out periodically. I ride a '14 Triumph Scrambler with Arrow 2 into 1 w/baffle removed and have only been riding since August 2014. But I find myself enjoying to push the bike every so often.

Where do you go?

The track.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
Kawasakirob
flick the bean

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasakirob View Post
When I really want to open her up I turn my neighborhood into a race track. If I really really really want to turn up the speed I'll go ride in a school zone.

One of the most difficult things that I had to learn and control when graduating to the street was where to go fast and where to chill. My dad repeatedly would tell me this but I never quite understood. I thought I did, but I didn't. If your out riding in the country and find a nice long stretch of open road where you can see clearly not only in the distance but out on the sides as well, then it is safe to stretch your bikes legs. Same with the corners, if you can look through the corner and have no oncoming traffic in the distance with ample run-of, it is safe to hit that corner. That being said there is a fine line between enjoying the benefits of riding and pushing your riding skills to the limit. I'm sure many people on here can tell you stories and show you the scars of learning to haul ass on the street. Many of them I bet are happy to have lived through such an experience, me for one. Anyway, there are places to go fast and places not to. You can probably decipher those areas by yourself. Enjoy your scrambler man!
Old 04-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
A lot of deserted roads and wide open spaces west of here with excellent visibility and no Po Po's. Biggest danger is a deer, or other critter.

Ive had the little Wee up to a buck thirty indicated, but that was a long straight road with a slight downhill grade and a 15-20 mph tailwind.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:24 AM   #12
motosikel
nopickles

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessalino View Post
..for speed?

Where do you go?

A new (7 months experience!) with a 865cc bike talking about where to go speeding. Oh FFS.

(I'd say this post answers perfectly another thread that posed the usefulness of tiered motorcycle licences in the US)
motosikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:12 AM   #13
st3ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Define speed.

Yesterday and the day before, I was dialing in and blowing out my bike from winter storage and hit/went over the ton several times. (I don't consider that crazy fast, but the police and most fellow citizens would) I did so mostly on familiar back roads, with good sight lines annnnnd, early in the morning, with little if any traffic and lots of sunlight, so when you speed is as much a concern as where IMO. But really, there is no safe place or time to speed on public roads. You can pick your spots and times yes, but you're always taking high risks re the police, or traffic, or road hazards etc. no matter how "careful" you are. But..that's part of the fun, even when those risks are calculated.

st3ryder screwed with this post 04-19-2015 at 04:27 AM
st3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:25 AM   #14
st3ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosikel View Post
A new (7 months experience!) with a 865cc bike talking about where to go speeding. Oh FFS.

(I'd say this post answers perfectly another thread that posed the usefulness of tiered motorcycle licences in the US)
"Harm reduction" methods is better advice than abstinence, when speaking about risky behaviours that are very likely to be undertaken regardless of all warnings against, and speeding on a two wheeler is high on that list.

I was speeding first time ever on a bike; first day with by MC beginners license, and 21 years later, am still speeding. Am I reckless?...not in my opinion because I don't "race" on public roads, which I find deplorable behaviour. I support graduated licensing re size/power of the bikes relevant to time with a MC license, but no one measure can ever stop speeding which can be done on a 125 as easily as a 1200 by beginners or sages.
st3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #15
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,781
Northern Vermont has some serious boonies with many ooportunities for high speeds. Can't beat the scenery either. Must get up there this year.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote