Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
motif OP
Banned

Oddometer: 266
heavy offroad on 17", no spokes wheels-why not?

anybody did that? is there another myth that best for offroad are spoked. 21" wheels? Like with bicycles, some prefere 26" some 29". There are adventure bikes has 17" wheels so why not as long as you have good offroad tyres?
I have seen clips with multistrada and nc700x offroading just fine as big wheelers.
motif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
My personal experience is that 17" front tire tends to not roll over stuff as well as washes out easier.

I've trashed cast wheels on 3 different bikes doing what I would call mild off-roading. Though around here even mild off-roading involves rocks. Steel is not only strong, it flexes better and doesn't crumble.

YMMV.
windblown101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
motif OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post
My personal experience is that 17" front tire tends to not roll over stuff as well as washes out easier.

I've trashed cast wheels on 3 different bikes doing what I would call mild off-roading. Though around here even mild off-roading involves rocks. Steel is not only strong, it flexes better and doesn't crumble.

YMMV.
roll over stuff maybe better but smaller wheel is more nimble. Washes out easier? don't think so. Spokes flexes indeed but only when you bottom the tyre
what you should not o anyway. I have seen many broken spokes.
Good offroad tyre and you can rock and roll on 17" wheel.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by motif View Post
roll over stuff maybe better but smaller wheel is more nimble. Washes out easier? don't think so. Spokes flexes indeed but only when you bottom the tyre
As I ended with - YMMV.

I have seen broken spokes. Never broken one as of yet myself. Might happen tomorrow. Who knows, maybe I've just had really crappy luck with cast rims. You have your experiences, I have mine. You're the one that asked the question.

If you're looking for validation to rock 17" cast wheels by all means, rock on. :)
windblown101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:

Kinda strange though, that there's a 21 front on almost every enduro and motocross bike?
Old 11-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
motif OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
[/B]

Kinda strange though, that there's a 21 front on almost every enduro and motocross bike?
yeah, it's weird - probably because they wanted to distinguish enduro bikes from road bike for client convenience.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
Ever tried to ride a skateboard over gravel ?

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
If 17 inch act like skateboard wheels, how do peewee 50s not just crash instantly?
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
If 17 inch act like skateboard wheels, how do peewee 50s not just crash instantly?
Less weight.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Skateboards weigh less that a 50cc though so they should be fine by that logic.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
anybody did that? is there another myth that best for offroad are spoked. 21" wheels? Like with bicycles, some prefere 26" some 29". There are adventure bikes has 17" wheels so why not as long as you have good offroad tyres?
I have seen clips with multistrada and nc700x offroading just fine as big wheelers.
For non-technical, mostly intermediate/hard surfaces, knock yourself out.

It depends on the surface and the type of riding though. Some people like wide tires on sandy roads, for example, like on a TW200. They aren't typically riding at higher speeds and cutting sharp turns though. A narrow 21" front cuts turns like the blade of an iceskate, instead of washing out, when pushed hard in turns.

I'd also rather replace a few spokes than an entire cast wheel.

This is not to say that a 17" front wheel won't work offroad. People ride SMs all over the place. A 21" front will go over holes, logs, bumps, roots, and other obstacles easier on the trails than a 17"er will though. You don't typically see SMs riding technical singletrack as fast as similar enduro bikes with a 21" front knob. I wouldn't want to ride an SM through thick mud either. Once the knobs get slicked, the only thing keeping the wheel tracking, instead of washing, is the narrowness.

21" front knobs are also usually MUCH cheaper than 17" knobs.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:39 AM   #12
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
" Washes out easier? don't think so "

dude, your understanding of basic MC dynamics is just overwhelming...
Old 11-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #13
kimber45
I'm over it.

Oddometer: 760
sounds like you know all the answers.

maybe your post would be more helpful sent to the manufacturers and riding/racing organizations.

kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #14
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
[/B]

This
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #15
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,431
This guy will win Dakar and the Lucas 450cc class Motocross championship this year in the stupid troll series!