ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,490 76.84%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.80%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.29%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1939. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #151
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf
I also ripped the tags off my mattress! Suck it, cops!
Shuuu, that’s federal, It’ll be Guantanamo for you.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #152
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,455
I won't/can't tell you I spent most of a year commuting/splitting in the DC area. Straight up 66 to the Beltway into notoriously bad DC traffic.

I won't/can't tell you that MOST people didn't know I was there till I was in front of em and they couldn't do anything about it.

I won't/can't tell you that there were MAYBE a handfull of people the entire year that were s. 3 stand out as being atypically rude.

On something smaller than a GS-Adv, I'd prolly have been doing it more, but I am on something huge, and well, there's places I don't fit.

Like I've said elsewhere: you gotta do it differently when its not expected. Hop up a few, stop in a gap, hop up a few, stop, repeat till yer a. where you need to be, or 2. outta traffic.

Just keep yer head on a swivel and watch for the front wheel twitch and/or faces in mirrors. Both are precursors to things happening.

M
Old 04-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #153
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
I'm thinking of lane-splitting tomorrow.

Oh, no! Tom Cruise and his band of Scientologists Minority Reporters, just came crashing through my window....

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #154
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Just saved a bunch of time lane splitting on the 101 heading to San Francisco on the way from Sonoma, reminded me of our trip to Europe were everybody splits everywhere. Not gonna happen in Canada anytime soon.

Really enjoyed it today.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #155
hellfire76
haphazard adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Lane splitting is will get you a nice ticket with points on your DL in NJ.

IF I was to lane split on my way home from work I COULD knock 15 to 20 minutes off the time depending on how bad traffic was. I WOULD only lane split while traffic was close to being stopped and keep my speed under 25mph. It should be legal. More people would be encoureged to commute on motorcycles and it would cut down on traffic congestion
hellfire76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #156
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
For obvious reasons I didn’t vote.

Since 1991 lane-splitting is not illegal anymore in this country (the Netherlands). That’s about all it says in traffic law. Therefore some 5 years ago “a code of conduct” has been developed by mc and car organisations, as well as the government for both cars and bikes, how to behave in traffic jams and lane-splitting. This code also has been accepted by insurance companies.

When holding on to this “code of conduct”, everbody on the road benefits of it. It took a while for both car drivers and mc riders learned to practise this. A lot of info was given with posters and folders. So both mc riders as well as car drivers know about it. Both have to be educated. The code itself is based on common sence imho. (no lane-splitting with 60 Mph, cars make room for the bikes etc).

(Translation: Make way for motorcyclists in traffic jams.)

Having to live with traffic jams everyday, this code (and knowing about it) has proven to work.

When I ride for fun, I don’t look up these roads and offcourse some irresponsable nutters will allways remain. Opposite of that, you immediately recognize f.i. German mc riders, who aren’t allowed to in Germany.

Richard-NL
Old 07-12-2009, 04:16 AM   #157
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Most people here are agreed that "lane-splitting" is a good thing. Fine. Now, what are you (I can't say "we", it's not my fight) going to do about it?

From a country that does allow filtering, perhaps you will let me make a few suggestions (with apologies to Sun Tzu's Art Of War):

1. Choose your battlefield
Even before the battle begins, change the terms of the debate. Take control of the terminology. Don't talk about "lane-splitting", it sounds negative, dangerous even. Talk instead about "filtering". Talk also not of "Traffic" jams/congestion - Traffic includes bikes and almost implies it is unfair for bikers to opt out of the jam/congestion. Talk instead of "car" jams/congestion. This (correctly) implies that it is cars that are the problem. And subliminally inserts the idea that bikes are part of the solution.

Think such terminology is too trivial to bother with?

2. Think like a Grandmaster
Movies show games of chess being won by sudden dramatic moves - "Checkmate!" The movies are wrong. Checkmate is never seen in high-level games. Instead, high-level games are won by the steady accumulation of a series of tiny advantages. To a point where your opponent knows when he's beaten, and resigns gracefully rather than be humiliated. If he perceives you as unbeatable, he won't even fight in the first place. The best Generals win their battles without ever fighting.

Example.
Before he was elected, the new(ish) Mayor of London had promised to make bus lanes available to bikers. In office, he faced unexpected organised opposition from cyclists: "Motorbikers (sic) will kill us as they scream past at 100mph". Etc. (Of course, the real reason they didn't want bikers sharing the bus lane was that, like dakarboy's neighbour (see below), they just didn't like being overtaken). The new Mayor didn't want to turn himself into a hate-figure for London cyclists so he cleverly proposed a compromise: Bikers would be allowed to share bus lanes with cyclists for a trial period only. (Note, I initially wrote "experimental period", but use of the word "experiment(al)" invites the hysterical cry, "How dare you experiment with people's lives?"). After the trial period, the safety arguments of the cyclists would be assessed in the light of experience. This was a reasonable offer, and the cyclists would have looked unreasonable if they refused, so they accepted. Several months on, irrefutable statistics showed no increase in cyclist casualties, indeed casualties overall actually fell. The cyclists didn't like it of course, but faced with this evidence they knew they couldn't win. All but a handful of extremists, to whom no-one paid attention, threw in the towel. The Mayor had won. Bus lane use by bikers is now permanently legalised.

Moral? Start off by suggesting to your Congressman(?) that he initially pushes for a permanent change in the law. Then, in in face of opposition, he (not you) can offer a compromise of a trial period. This way your campaign looks as if you are being reasonable. It's much harder for the opposition to refuse to make a concession when you have just made one. But don't play this card too soon.

Of course, during the trial period in particular, bikers need to take extreme care not to have collisions while filtering! Also, courtesy is invaluable. A friendly wave of thanks to every car driver who makes way for you reinforces their behaviour. Conversely, the best response to awkwardness from car drivers is not to flip them the finger, but simply to sail past them. Hearts & Minds, people.

Oh, one other thing, don't be too quick to refer to the (positive) experience of those european countries that allow do not prohibit filtering. You will only invite the redneck response"Yeahbut we're Americans, this is America, we do things differently here". I understand Japan props up its farmers by restricting import of rice on the pretext that "Japanese people have special digestive systems, and can only eat special (=Japanese) rice".You don't want nationalistic arguments clouding the debate. On the other hand, if this is the only argument your opponent can proffer, he makes himself look foolish to anyone with half a brain. But does that give you a win when so many people have less than half a brain? Hmmm.

3. Focus and control your forces
Some motorcycle groups might want to tie a Filtering bill in with other issues - eg helmet law. To allow this would be disastrous. Once a "No helmet" clause, or anything else, gets tacked onto your proposed Filtering bill, you weaken your core argument and give your opponents opportunities to attack you. K.I.S.S.

4. Recognise and know your enemy
Understand his strengths, weaknesses and motives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarboy
my neighbor whom is a pretty laid back guy (who does not or has ever rode) was absolutely incensed when I road by him on my way into the city. he let me have it with both barrels, "its unsafe, its illegal, i did not see you, you are going to kill yourself, why should you when i cannot?"
At least dakarboy's neighbour is wise enough and honest enough to admit the real reason he, as a car-driver, is against filtering. Most car-drivers will not realise this truth, and even fewer will admit it. Instead they will dress up their opposition in safety concerns etc. It is no good ignoring their motive; however ill-founded, it must be addressed.

Have a (non-motorcycling) soccer mom spokeswoman do a TV soundbite: "Sometimes we get frustrated when motorcycles pass us as we sit in congestion. But you know, really, it's not the motorcycles that cause the congestion- it's the cars". Note - blame the cars not the car-drivers - it's less personal and people will feel less defensive. Maybe the soccer mom could be seen pulling over a little when she sees the biker in her rear mirror. The biker should be seen waving thanks to her.

Another advert would show a man standing on his driveway by a big shiny (import) SUV: "I love my SUV, I feel like king of the world driving it. Translation: "I'm just like you". But today, the traffic report looks bad - long car tail-backs downtown, so I'm doing my bit for the environment and taking my bike." (Put him on a Harley or Victory to quietly bang the patriotic drum - or a BMW to imply status to the unknowing public). "And this way, not only will I cause less delay to other drivers, but I myself will get to work sooner". Later, show him temporarily blocking a junction - and hence a car's access to a free lane. A split-second later of course, we see the biker moving forward and filtering, allowing the car behind him to move into the free lane. Maybe you could swap the sexes for novelty value? But we're here to change the law, not sexual stereotypes. Let's not try to be too clever.

Clear, simple message
I suggest the campaign slogan, "One less car" - with a picture of a (small) motorbike next to a big SUV with a cross through it. "One car less" is no good, as it invites the graffiti artist to add the letter "e" between "car" and "less". "One car fewer" is more grammatically correct, but less succinct.

If the public see you, a biker, as an addition to the traffic (and to the jam/congestion), then they will, albeit irrationally, continue to oppose you. If on the other hand they see you on your small machine as being a replacement for the big SUV that would otherwise be blocking them, they will be more amenable.

5. Gather your allies skilfully
ADVriders alone cannot get the law changed. You need a Congressman/Senator/whoever-is-responsible for changing US/Canadian state/province law (please excuse my ignorance, I am not North American). But why should such a person become your ally? You have to present your case so that he can see something in it for him. Since you're not planning to contribute funds to his re-election campaign, that will have to be votes/kudos. Votes not just from bikers, but from greenies and safety-firsters. Common sense alone will seldom sway a law-maker.

So, sell it to the lawmaker on the basis that it is "greener": Because bikes cause less pollution with their small engines; because bikes cause less pollution if they are allowed to cut through the traffic and reach their destination quicker, with engines spewing out pollutants for less time while idling in jams; because bikes, taking less room, allow other vehicles to reach their destinations sooner too, thus causing less pollution. Fed up of the number of times I've used the phrase "less pollution" in this paragraph? Don't be.

Do your homework before you go to see him. He'll want clear evidence that he will later be able to rely on. Don't get it from bike-related sources; these will be regarded as tainted. I am sure there will be some central US government/state agency that collates vehicle pollution figures.

As a secondary argument, you could also sell it to the lawmaker on the basis that it is safer (if you can prove it): Filtering means fewer riders squashed to death in rear-ending collisions. This can be sold to the car-driving public by TV adverts showing how "difficult" it is to see a little bike down there on the ground in front of your big SUV; how much safer for everyone if that little bike just filters past everyone. After all, a bike that filters past you is not blocking you.

The one thing you shouldn't try to do is to sell it to him on the basis that it is fairer/better for bikers. However sincere his nod and smile, that won't wash with him, because it won't wash with his voters.

Another ally you should court is the police, especially police bikers. They will see the wisdom of allowing filtering. If nothing else it will avoid them having to waste time enforcing current anti-filtering laws. The general public will listen to words spoken on TV by a uniformed police officer.

There may be other potential allies out there, but be careful. Potential allies will have their own agenda. Get into bed with the greens, and before you know it they'll be pushing for bicycles over motorbikes. You can't risk this. Sound out and select your allies carefully.

6. Just Do It!
Americans! Canadians! The legalisation of filtering is achievable. All you need to do is make it happen.

SpitfireTriple screwed with this post 07-25-2009 at 03:08 AM
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:23 AM   #158
Snowbird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Most places I ride, it is not legal so I don't regularly lane split; but most places I ride there isn't much traffic. When I am riding and get stuck in traffic and cars are acting stupid like they always do when traffic backs up, it's 'good-bye cars,' I split.

What kinds of things do car drivers do that flip on my lane split mode? Things like pulling into an intersection that they know damn well isn't going to clear by the time the signal changes, thereby blocking those who could move on the next green signal.

Things like blocking side roads so other traffic cannot turn left. Things like day dreaming on the green or not moving forward in step with traffic when it moves.

Why should bikes have to wait? If cagers don't like it, tough. Sell the car and buy a bike.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #159
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird
Why should bikes have to wait? If cagers don't like it, tough. Sell the car and buy a bike.
True. But that argument will get you precisely nowhere.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #160
lycosthenes
locomotive breath

Oddometer: 36
Spitfire Triple-insightful, well written, logical... it'll never work here ha ha just kidding- friends take note of what he wrote, it's the roadmap for getting this done. Thanks Spitfire.
lycosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #161
Cresta
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 152
Great post Spitfire.

... and although I'm also UK, I voted yes to all 50. Only State I had grief in was Alabama.

Was surprised by the Dutch contribution as I've just come back from the Netherlands & Germany and rate these drivers as some of the best in Europe. That they should be so late on the scene to adopt filtering surprised me. I knew it was illegal in Germany, which still surprises me*... but I'll filter anywhere, in any country I ride, regardless of local laws & customs, and face the consequences accordingly.

* They get VERY annoyed in Germany.
Cresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #162
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Filtering saves lives

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #163
Z0RR0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
had the first long-ish lanesplitting experience yesterday (illegal here ... plus there's rarely any traffic), bad bad traffic and I had to get somewhere.

In those 30min I have had more cagers pissed at me than I've had the rest of my life.
Some inbred moron in his Montecarlo thought tailgating me was a clever way to show his bitterness of being stuck in a shitbox. I looked at him, gave him a thumbs up and kept on going.

It sure saved a lot of time, but not necesserily the way I want to travel ... people are completely oblivious when you come from such unexpected place.
Some lady was hogging half way in between lanes, and moved away when she saw me waiting behind ... took her a full minute or 2 before she noticed the bike in her mirror . She was nice and waved ... just had no idea of her surroundings.

If I have nowhere to go I'll just stick to waiting with cages thank you.
Z0RR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #164
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
Filtering saves lives[/URL]
Yes it does

I have stated this before: I teach MSF with a retired 25 year CHP motor vet who told me that he never rolled on a car vs bike collision from lane splitting but rolled on many a bike car accident where the bike was rear ended. He said he will always lane split.

No doubt bike vs car accidents happen from splitting, but I'm convinced not near as often as bikes being rear ended
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #165
trig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
Filtering saves lives

Holy shit man. If the bumper sitting on the seat wasn't enough, the people in the background crying are.

I've recently start splitting illegally (since the Texas house sat on their asses with SB506 that flew through the senate), and I will print and carry this picture with me in my jacket. If I ever get pulled over, I'll just show the cop that.

If a picture is worth a million words, my life is worth a hundred bucks.
trig is offline   Reply With Quote