ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,491 76.86%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.29%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1940. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #211
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,428
Hell yes!!

I would love to see it allowed in Colorado. We don't have a helmet law and, I would gladly support any candidate who would re-institute the helmet law and, at the same time allow "filtering, lane sharing, etc."

I love visiting California. This was me back in May of this year, with my daughter, visiting the Golden State.

What a time saver!
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #212
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasser
Hell yes!!

I would love to see it allowed in Colorado. We don't have a helmet law and, I would gladly support any candidate who would re-institute the helmet law and, at the same time allow "filtering, lane sharing, etc."

I love visiting California. This was me back in May of this year, with my daughter, visiting the Golden State.

what a time saver!
Well...not to piss on yer parade but that's 580 on the Dublin - Pleasanton stretch. You're going too fast and when traffic has big holes in it like that cars like to dodge in and out of them. It isn't a carpool lane on the left and when you have a hole you should duck into it to give yourself more clearance on the right.

I know the bike ahead of you zoomed off and vanished---that kind of fast stuff does give it a bad name.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #213
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
Well...not to piss on yer parade but that's 580 on the Dublin - Pleasanton stretch. You're going too fast and when traffic has big holes in it like that cars like to dodge in and out of them. It isn't a carpool lane on the left and when you have a hole you should duck into it to give yourself more clearance on the right.

I know the bike ahead of you zoomed off and vanished---that kind of fast stuff does give it a bad name.
Ummm... he couldn't have been going more than 20mph at the fastest part. You where doing fine guy even if a car pulled out and hit you the worst it would be is a dropped bike and it would have been there fault for not checking there blind spot. CHP has rode up behind me much faster than that with no problem.

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #214
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin_mathis
Ummm... he couldn't have been going more than 20mph at the fastest part. You where doing fine guy even if a car pulled out and hit you the worst it would be is a dropped bike and it would have been there fault for not checking there blind spot. CHP has rode up behind me much faster than that with no problem.
The passing speed is roughly 13.63 mph (passing a 40 ft. semi in about 2 seconds.) Traffic is making 20 (by eye) at the faster pulses for a 33 mph splitting speed. Ever hit something at 33?

If a car pulls out you will get thrown into the median barrier--you don't "drop it", you get hit hard---if you're lucky. If you're not you get spun back into following traffic---hopefully they miss you.

Who's fault it is means nothing. You're on the ground and bleeding with a wrecked bike.

Watch the white dashes on the road and get a feeling for the timing. Next time you are in traffic watch them again.

Not that I'd tell you what to do but every accident splitting adds to a tally that argues against other states permitting it.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #215
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The passing speed is roughly 13.63 mph (passing a 40 ft. semi in about 2 seconds.) Traffic is making 20 (by eye) at the faster pulses for a 33 mph splitting speed. Ever hit something at 33?

If a car pulls out you will get thrown into the median barrier--you don't "drop it", you get hit hard---if you're lucky. If you're not you get spun back into following traffic---hopefully they miss you.

Who's fault it is means nothing. You're on the ground and bleeding with a wrecked bike.

Watch the white dashes on the road and get a feeling for the timing. Next time you are in traffic watch them again.

Not that I'd tell you what to do but every accident splitting adds to a tally that argues against other states permitting it.
I think we will have to agree to disagree here, I trust your math but not you eye, I think those cars and trucks are rolling about at idle 5mph-ish and I counted those passes at about 2.5 seconds so more like a 10ish mph passing speed. Anyhow any CA commuter has seen much much much worse on a daile basis so I don't think he is the problem.

I have been hit (more like rubbed) by a car when I was going.... let's say faster than he was and the result was a little nudge, didn't even come close to dropping the bike.

IMO you where doing fine Dude

Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #216
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,197
When I relocated back to California with a bike, it took me a while to figure out the lane splitting thing. I was very cautious at first, then gradually worked up to doing it all the time, everywhere. But the vast majority of cagers there seem to be used to it.

Were it to be instituted everywhere in the states, I would favor its implementation in stages, over a period of a few years. That would allow a gradual acceptance of the general public to something very different, and potentially very dangerous.

There's lots of hostility against motorcyclists in many areas of the country, whether it be due to noise issues or hooliganism (squid behavior), or whatever. A sudden allowance of filtering or lane-splitting might not meet with high approval ratings by the masses in cages.

just my $0.02
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #217
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero
Were it to be instituted everywhere in the states, I would favor its implementation in stages, over a period of a few years. That would allow a gradual acceptance of the general public to something very different, and potentially very dangerous.
How could it be done in stages?

Granted, places like Montana have no need for lane splitting. (well there is Reserve street in Missoula... but other than that???)
Old 07-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #218
DeeCee
Silver Surfer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero
There's lots of hostility against motorcyclists in many areas of the country, whether it be due to noise issues or hooliganism (squid behavior), or whatever. A sudden allowance of filtering or lane-splitting might not meet with high approval ratings by the masses in cages.
This would be my concern as well.

That, and inattention creating a steep learning curve on both sides.
DeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #219
SilentJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
How could it be done in stages?

Granted, places like Montana have no need for lane splitting. (well there is Reserve street in Missoula... but other than that???)
I think it could be done in stages by allowing filtering at stoplights of 4 lane intersections only.

I'd be happy if that's all that was ever allowed. Most of the heavy traffic areas I've been in haven't been heavy enough for stop and go unless there was something else in the way (accident or construction).

I have a friend that used to filter at stoplights until Bubba (random redneck name) and his F-250 was unhappy my friend tried to cut in line. Bubba proceeded to turn his wheels toward my friend indicating he was going to hit him. My friend was easily able to pull away without inconveniencing Bubba, unless you count getting angry an inconvenience.
SilentJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #220
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:

I think you're just personally a more conservative rider than others. There's nothing wrong with that, but I doubt most riders will watch that video and see anything even close to reckless. In fact, I thought he could have been a bit more aggressive in putting the bike in between the traffic. Plenty of room to get by that tanker, for example.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #221
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentJohn
I think it could be done in stages by allowing filtering at stoplights of 4 lane intersections only.

I'd be happy if that's all that was ever allowed. Most of the heavy traffic areas I've been in haven't been heavy enough for stop and go unless there was something else in the way (accident or construction).

I have a friend that used to filter at stoplights until Bubba (random redneck name) and his F-250 was unhappy my friend tried to cut in line. Bubba proceeded to turn his wheels toward my friend indicating he was going to hit him. My friend was easily able to pull away without inconveniencing Bubba, unless you count getting angry an inconvenience.
I lane share (illegally) here in Georgia when the traffic is REALLY bad (about once a week) and occasionally I get a honk or two. No big deal. The funny part is when some jealous a-hole tries to turn in to block me. It never works. I always find room.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #222
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentJohn
Bless you.

Are you running for office? You have my vote.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #223
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,360
YES!!

Lane splitting and filtering is good stuff.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #224
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf
I lane share (illegally) here in Georgia when the traffic is REALLY bad (about once a week) and occasionally I get a honk or two. No big deal. The funny part is when some jealous a-hole tries to turn in to block me. It never works. I always find room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf
The funny part is when some jealous a-hole tries to turn in to block me. It never works. I always find room.

That can happen here in L.A. where it's legal to lane split as well, when you look at the car it's most often one of three types of people, out of state plates, asshole texting or asshole with a 3 foot lift kit truck (that has never been off road) with a monster energy drink sticker on the back window and a flat billed hat. In any case if there crowding that side of the lane that means that the other is open so I just go around the open side and let them know what I think of them as I go by.

On the other side of the coin if someone makes room for me which is more often the case I make sure to give them a friendly thank you wave.

I spent some time in Atlanta and that city needs lane splitting considering how bad traffic is in that city.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #225
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
I wouldn't trust any of the yahoo 4 wheelers around here. They don't know where they are going or why 99% of the time.

In the video above to who and why is the rider waving? Is this in response to single finger salutes?
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote