ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,491 76.86%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.29%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1940. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #316
gr8grins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Yep. I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Do you even ride a motorcycle?

The reason lane splitting should be legal in all 50 states and the reason it is legal in CA and the rest of the World outside of the so-called Free USof A is because IT IS MORE SAFE FOR THE RIDER NOT LESS!!!!

Get back in your bubble.
I'm not in a bubble. I do ride.
How is it safer to ride between cars from behind that usually don't see you even when coming at them from the opposite direction?
I agree, it should be legal. Not because it's safer but because it's every persons responsibility to ensure their own safety. If a person chooses to take a risk, they must bear the responsibility of the consequences for taking that risk.
The logic that it's safer escapes me. Please explain and don't be rude. My apologies if my post came across as brash. I have always been perplexed by lane sharing with cages that don't see me anyway. Please help me understand how it's more safe.
Thanks,
Grins
gr8grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #317
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grins View Post
. Please help me understand how it's more safe.
Thanks,
Grins
For one if you are between cars at the lights you are a HELL of a lot less likely to get sandwiched between two cars.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #318
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
Quote:
I'm not in a bubble. I do ride.
How is it safer to ride between cars from behind that usually don't see you even when coming at them from the opposite direction?
I agree, it should be legal. Not because it's safer but because it's every persons responsibility to ensure their own safety. If a person chooses to take a risk, they must bear the responsibility of the consequences for taking that risk.
The logic that it's safer escapes me. Please explain and don't be rude. My apologies if my post came across as brash. I have always been perplexed by lane sharing with cages that don't see me anyway. Please help me understand how it's more safe.
Thanks,
Grins
Your post was not brash. I do find it odd how an educated man such as yourself fails to recognize how/why it could be more safe. It is quite simple. Rear enders are FAR more common than side swipes.

This is the reason it is legal where it is and should not only be condoned but also promoted, accepted and encouraged IMO

I like the fact that you recognize the personal responsibility aspects of riding and how a rider is responsible for the consequences. As with every type of riding, lane sharing can be done right and done wrong.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 07:51 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #319
Mike Bradford
Twist It

Oddometer: 2
Safe if you do it safely

It is safer to lane split if you follow some basic rules. First, don't get too much speed differential-about 5-10 mph. Second, don't squeeze tight if the traffic is moving at more than walking speed. Third, be cautious when the cars aren't side by side where one can change lanes into an open space by crossing your path.If you follow the rules it is safer because you are not going to get hit from behind in traffic where the speeds are changing and you are otherwise at higher risk if you are behind/in front of cars in congested traffic. You have the initiative and manuever around the cars, not vice versa. It doesn't matter if the cars don't see you because you assume they do not see you. Protect yourself at all times. The more you can make cars seem like stationary objects the safer you are. Finally, since you go through traffic in less time you spend less time in jeopardy.Don't be offended because someone asks you if you ride when you question lane splitting. Most people who are good riders reach the conclusion it is safer. That's why someone is questioning your experience.
Mike Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #320
gr8grins
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
For one if you are between cars at the lights you are a HELL of a lot less likely to get sandwiched between two cars.
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
I'm still unclear as to how it's safer when the traffic starts to move if you're not to the front yet at a light. Also how is it safer when traffic is backed up at rush hour and moving slowly and you're moving faster between them from behind if they change lanes or approach the line you are following.
The rear ending risk makes more sense the more I think about it. it seems like more riders get hurt this way than any other when another vehicle is involved.
Is it because it's easier to anticipate/ predict their movements when you're approaching from behind? Kind of like looking at their front tires when approaching from the front.
I am a fairly new rider and I'm always game to learn how to be a better, safer, more courteous rider. Thanks for the help.
Grins

gr8grins screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 10:19 PM
Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #321
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Hey, if it floats your boat, go ahead. Remember the door prize. Survival of the fit. I think fit people don't lane split. It'll get ya someday. Riding a bike is dangerous enough, why add to it?
It should be legal. However you shouldn't be eligible for state or federal medical care if you choose to tempt fate in such a fashion. You crash, you pay.
Dakez:

There's your answer right there why you get a 10% against it here. Lanesplitting LOOKS dangerous to those haven't done it and don't have experience with it. I always thought it was dangerous too and swore I'd never do it - until I got stuck on I-10 in Santa Monica at 5pm on a Friday. I've never looked back.... (but I do check my mirrors )

When I split (I ride in CA a fair amount) I feel MUCH safer filtering at lights or when in stop-n-go traffic. If you're not right in the cars' lane of travel then it's much harder to get rear-ended.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #322
gr8grins
Gnarly Adventurer

Please re read my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Dakez:

There's your answer right there why you get a 10% against it here. Lanesplitting LOOKS dangerous to those haven't done it and don't have experience with it. I always thought it was dangerous too and swore I'd never do it - until I got stuck on I-10 in Santa Monica at 5pm on a Friday. I've never looked back.... (but I do check my mirrors )

When I split (I ride in CA a fair amount) I feel MUCH safer filtering at lights or when in stop-n-go traffic. If you're not right in the cars' lane of travel then it's much harder to get rear-ended.
I stated it SHOULD be legal. I voted for yes. I am starting to understand how it is safer thanks to some folks here. I see the logic so now I would not only vote yes because I believe in personal responsibility but because I see how it can be safer in some situations. Not because the cages won't still try to kill you, they just don't have as good of odds of succeeding because they are less likely to rear end you and you can hopefully avoid their indiscretions more easily. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks,
Grins
Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #323
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,893
Quote:
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
I'm still unclear as to how it's safer when the traffic starts to move if you're not to the front yet at a light.
Have you ever paid attention to how long it takes the forth car in line to get moving? You could slide a WHOLE lot of bikes through there and just merge into traffic.

Quote:
Also how is it safer when traffic is backed up at rush hour and moving slowly and you're moving faster between them from behind if they change lanes or approach the line you are following.
Its actually pretty easy, when you get real grid lock going on cars that need to change lanes have to actually *gasp* use their signals and hope someone lets them it, so you can see lane changers coming (usually) likewise if there is a gap next to a car, expect it to get filled so approach with caution.

A small car is something like 10' long, a large bike is 6 feet long..you have all sorts of wiggle room.

Quote:
The rear ending risk makes more sense the more I think about it. it seems like more riders get hurt this way than any other when another vehicle is involved.
Is it because it's easier to anticipate/ predict their movements when you're approaching from behind? Kind of like looking at their front tires when approaching from the front.
I am a fairly new rider and I'm always game to learn how to be a better, safer, more courteous rider. Thanks for the help.
Grins
Yeah, I've lived in Chicago, Honolulu, and Philly, you DO learn to anticipate traffic...or you get run over in my experience. The odds of goofiness are obviously higher if you are traffic humping in rush hour....vice a country cruiser but that is that.

The other advantage of splitting is that you can clear the fuck out when you get out of a traffic snarl, that way you just beat the drag race when you pass that troublesome interchange.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #324
gr8grins
Gnarly Adventurer

Keep it coming

Thank you all for helping me to understand. I really do see how in many instances it's more safe. Please, anyone else that has something constructive to offer, I'm all ears.
Grins
Old 04-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #325
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
I stated it SHOULD be legal. I voted for yes. I am starting to understand how it is safer thanks to some folks here. I see the logic so now I would not only vote yes because I believe in personal responsibility but because I see how it can be safer in some situations. Not because the cages won't still try to kill you, they just don't have as good of odds of succeeding because they are less likely to rear end you and you can hopefully avoid their indiscretions more easily. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks,
Grins
I was just using your post as an example of why some people think it's more dangerous. I myself used to think it was dangerous too until I got some experience doing it. My post wasn't any sort of personal attack against you or your riding skills or anything.

The one area where I think it has the potential to be more dangerous is filtering at lights. If you're "first off the line" when the light turns green then you're exposed if somebody cross-traffic runs a red. But like many other things riding, you can avoid it if you've got your situational awareness up and are looking for it.

I don't think that people are actually out to kill you, just prone to being inattentive and not seeing/looking for motorcycles. My first basic tenet of riding is this: when I hit a car I want it to be my fault. (In other words, I do my best not to give them an opportunity to take me out.)

duck screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 11:09 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #326
gr8grins
Gnarly Adventurer

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I was just using your post as an example of why some people think it's more dangerous. I myself used to think it was dangerous too until I got some experience doing it. My post wasn't any sort of personal attack against you or your riding skills or anything.

The one area where I think it has the potential to be more dangerous is filtering at lights. If you're "first off the line" when the light turns green then you're exposed if somebody cross-traffic runs a red. But like many other things riding, you can avoid it if you've got your situational awareness up and are looking for it.
It is a good example, I thought it was more dangerous until an hour ago!
I came to the same conclusion about lights. Please, any other tidbits of wisdom would be welcome!
If only everyone was so lucky to live in the PNW and have the great beer we enjoy!
I agree, they're not out to kill us, but we are safer to assume they are and ride accordingly.
Grins
Old 04-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #327
KradmelderSA
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Its legal here and I lane split all the time. With a few simple safety rules it is fine:

1. Dont lane split at more than 30 kmh faster than the cages. Thius gives you time to react. If they not moving do 30, if they doing 30, you can do up to 60.

2. All bikes lane split in one lane. If someone gives way for a bike it doesnt cut off someone splitting past on other side

3. Put your light in their mirror and watch if their head turns to mirror

4. Accelerate past

5. Dont lane split at intersections

6. Be careful of gaps. Someone may try to cut into it quick and cut you off

7. Be wary of chicks with cell phones in one hand, a cigarette in the other, and their heads nodding to blaring music. They wont even look. The other threat is men in big trucks or SUVs with an attitude. they will see you and cut you off since they must sit in traffic, you must as well

8. If someone gives way, give him a thumbs up. It will make life easier for the next biker
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #328
iantochips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Lane split for 40 years- with attentive/defensive riding it's fine. Lots of drivers here in Europe will see you coming and move over. I thank them as elaborately as possible! They'll do it again. Never had an objection from police anywhere.
iantochips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #329
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by KradmelderSA View Post
Its legal here and I lane split all the time. With a few simple safety rules it is fine:

1. Dont lane split at more than 30 kmh faster than the cages. Thius gives you time to react. If they not moving do 30, if they doing 30, you can do up to 60.

2. All bikes lane split in one lane. If someone gives way for a bike it doesnt cut off someone splitting past on other side

3. Put your light in their mirror and watch if their head turns to mirror

4. Accelerate past

5. Dont lane split at intersections

6. Be careful of gaps. Someone may try to cut into it quick and cut you off

7. Be wary of chicks with cell phones in one hand, a cigarette in the other, and their heads nodding to blaring music. They wont even look. The other threat is men in big trucks or SUVs with an attitude. they will see you and cut you off since they must sit in traffic, you must as well

8. If someone gives way, give him a thumbs up. It will make life easier for the next biker
9. Watch for 'Jesus fish' They drive like they want to go to heaven and don't care if they take you out too

10. Watch for hats. Something about em. ?Cuts off the blood circulation to the brain? People in hats drive like people with Jesus fish

11. The more bumper stickers there are, the less likely someone is to be a 'driver' and more a mindless drone. They're prone to zoning out listening to NPR and will usually do something stupid

12. Prius drivers. See above. The new Volvo. Where it used to be 'I'm safe' now its 'I'm green.' Neither are good.

13. DWA 'Nuff said

There's more...

M
Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #330
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
It's fine, I dont really care one way or the other. I dont do it even where legal because in the cases I have been where it was legal goldwings dont make good lane splitters.

Now I will say it is annoying as hell when riders do it at 50 mph faster than the traffic is moving and are all over the place like they are riding a obstacle course. One quick youtube search will show more doing extremes than riders filtering.

Seems the ones who take it to the extremes of treating it like wheelies on the expressway color others judgements.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote