ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,544 77.05%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 96 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 222 11.08%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 192 9.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2004. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #331
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
It's fine, I dont really care one way or the other. I dont do it even where legal because in the cases I have been where it was legal goldwings dont make good lane splitters.

Now I will say it is annoying as hell when riders do it at 50 mph faster than the traffic is moving and are all over the place like they are riding a obstacle course. One quick youtube search will show more doing extremes than riders filtering.

Seems the ones who take it to the extremes of treating it like wheelies on the expressway color others judgements.
I'll disagree with that first statement. The 1200 Wing I was riding did just fine!

M
Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #332
fishwich
El Borbah

Oddometer: 1,647
If lane splitting were legal everywhere...

A lot of things are good in theory. Take passing slower vehicles while on a 2 lane blacktop. If you can go into the opposite lane and safely pass, when it is legal, then by all means do so. As most of us know this is increasingly not the case as more and more vehicles will attempt to pass and oncoming traffic be damned.
1st, as a commercial driver in Phoenix, I travel US93 and US89 on a weekly basis and have seen the horrific results of drivers who have a legal right but not the skill and judgement to safely execute a pass.
I have little reason to believe that 2 wheelers are much wiser than their 4 wheeled brothers so while I think that lane splitting is probably a good idea in general, letting motorcyclists and automobile drivers vie for the same real estate will lead to an increase in freeway mayhem. Common sense and self preservation tend to fade a bit when you're trying to get to Vegas on a Friday night.
2nd, Im a greedy bastard and do not really appreciate sharing a lane with a motor vehicle while operating a tractor and dragging a 48' trailer. Things can get squirrely enough and sometimes lanes are not as wide as Id like.Having driven extensively in many SoCal counties I have twice been sideswiped by riders. Both at low speeds in slow and go traffic fortunately. A bent fender mirror in one case and of course neither stopped. Nothing scares me more than having to be responsible for someone else's life because they are late for work. 2 wheels, 4 wheels, whatever.
I say sure why not but watch out.
fishwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #333
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,720
Why do you hate Darwin.

I really don't care about other riders, if you screw it up, you are either going to lean from it, or remove yourself from the gene-pool. Its on them, its not my responsibility to ensure the safety of the entire motorcycling world.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #334
DaneelOlivaw
Irv Seaver BMW; Parts Mgr

Oddometer: 439
What to do about lane sharing...

Legalize it; Don't criticize it. I will advertize it.

...Peter Tosh
DaneelOlivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #335
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grins View Post
I'm not in a bubble. I do ride.
How is it safer to ride between cars from behind that usually don't see you even when coming at them from the opposite direction?

Grins
When you're filtering, in general, you're riding between lanes of vehicles moving slowly or not moving at all. And in general you're in an environment where traffic is so dense that cars can't easily change lanes anyway. Plus car wheels don't move quickly from side to side anyway, so if vehicles do try to change lanes, you usually have plenty of time to slow down or stop. Plus you're usually filtering at a fairly slow pace. I don't think lane filtering collisions are common, but even when they do happen, they're at low speeds and not exactly violent.

If you choose not to filter, you're leaving yourself at the back of a line, potentially sitting in the middle of a highway or busy road at complete stand-still and put yourself at much more risk due to potential rear-endings.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #336
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwich View Post
A lot of things are good in theory. Take passing slower vehicles while on a 2 lane blacktop. If you can go into the opposite lane and safely pass, when it is legal, then by all means do so. As most of us know this is increasingly not the case as more and more vehicles will attempt to pass and oncoming traffic be damned.
1st, as a commercial driver in Phoenix, I travel US93 and US89 on a weekly basis and have seen the horrific results of drivers who have a legal right but not the skill and judgement to safely execute a pass.
I have little reason to believe that 2 wheelers are much wiser than their 4 wheeled brothers so while I think that lane splitting is probably a good idea in general, letting motorcyclists and automobile drivers vie for the same real estate will lead to an increase in freeway mayhem. Common sense and self preservation tend to fade a bit when you're trying to get to Vegas on a Friday night.
2nd, Im a greedy bastard and do not really appreciate sharing a lane with a motor vehicle while operating a tractor and dragging a 48' trailer. Things can get squirrely enough and sometimes lanes are not as wide as Id like.Having driven extensively in many SoCal counties I have twice been sideswiped by riders. Both at low speeds in slow and go traffic fortunately. A bent fender mirror in one case and of course neither stopped. Nothing scares me more than having to be responsible for someone else's life because they are late for work. 2 wheels, 4 wheels, whatever.
I say sure why not but watch out.
You're thinking like a cage driver. Once you actually do share lanes, you'll be amazed at the amount of room between two lanes of cars.

Its almost like a whole 'nuther highway in there!

M
Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #337
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Why do you hate Darwin.

I really don't care about other riders, if you screw it up, you are either going to lean from it, or remove yourself from the gene-pool. Its on them, its not my responsibility to ensure the safety of the entire motorcycling world.
I like the way you think. Great post.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #338
pcphorse118
The Captain

Oddometer: 15
In my opinion I will never lane split. I see far too many driver that aren't paying attention as it is. I dont want to put my self in close proximity to 2 of them.
pcphorse118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #339
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcphorse118 View Post
In my opinion I will never lane split. I see far too many driver that aren't paying attention as it is. I dont want to put my self in close proximity to 2 of them.

Lots of people say that. Then they come to California and they watch and learn. Next thing you know they are happily moving to front of a line of stopped or nearly stopped cars wondering why they were so vehemently against doing the obvious.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #340
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf View Post
When you're filtering, in general, you're riding between lanes of vehicles moving slowly or not moving at all. And in general you're in an environment where traffic is so dense that cars can't easily change lanes anyway. Plus car wheels don't move quickly from side to side anyway, so if vehicles do try to change lanes, you usually have plenty of time to slow down or stop. Plus you're usually filtering at a fairly slow pace. I don't think lane filtering collisions are common, but even when they do happen, they're at low speeds and not exactly violent.

If you choose not to filter, you're leaving yourself at the back of a line, potentially sitting in the middle of a highway or busy road at complete stand-still and put yourself at much more risk due to potential rear-endings.
You've pretty much described how I lane split, but I see the Squids lane splitting every day at 80mph+ when traffic is moving at 60.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #341
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago View Post
You've pretty much described how I lane split, but I see the Squids lane splitting every day at 80mph+ when traffic is moving at 60.

M
Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #342
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava View Post
Lots of people say that. Then they come to California and they watch and learn. Next thing you know they are happily moving to front of a line of stopped or nearly stopped cars wondering why they were so vehemently against doing the obvious.
For the most part, you're 100% correct.

There ARE a few that 'don't get it,' they're in the minority tho.

M
Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #343
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You're thinking like a cage driver. Once you actually do share lanes, you'll be amazed at the amount of room between two lanes of cars.

Its almost like a whole 'nuther highway in there!

M

Plus they paint these really handy dotted lines on the road for you to follow ... or for weaving through if you get bored great for practicing slow and not so slow skills
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #344
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Didnt read the thread.. because it was boring.. all I know is that I lane split five days a week for four years on a Harley Road King and never had a single incident while commuting up I-15 in SoCal. Despite all the horror stories of CA drivers, they are actually quite aware of lane splitting motorcycles during rush hour. Filtering at stoplights is just a no brainer. Those squids who lane split at 80 when traffic is moving at 60 are breaking the law, even in CA and will eventually pay the price in skin or $$$.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #345
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Didnt read the thread.. because it was boring.. all I know is that I lane split five days a week for four years on a Harley Road King and never had a single incident while commuting up I-15 in SoCal. Despite all the horror stories of CA drivers, they are actually quite aware of lane splitting motorcycles during rush hour. Filtering at stoplights is just a no brainer. Those squids who lane split at 80 when traffic is moving at 60 are breaking the law, even in CA and will eventually pay the price in skin or $$$.
Have you noticed a trend in this thread? People that have actually done it are all for it. Those that haven't are skeered/unsure/hesitant.

Says something when 100% of the riders that have consistently shared lanes think its a good idea, don't it?! Maybe its not such a 'death wish' kind of riding, nicht war?!

M