ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,493 76.88%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.28%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1942. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #346
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
...they are actually quite aware of lane splitting motorcycles during rush hour. Filtering at stoplights is just a no brainer.
Lived in Tokyo for 3 years andlane splitting was the standard, especially filtering at stoplights. Normal intersection downtown would have 20+ two-wheelers at the front when the light changed. I only ever saw one accident involving a motorcycle while I was there and it was a single vehicle caused by the rider cutting the corner too close and catching the curb with the hard parts. Where it is legal and practiced, drivers are used to it and look for the motorcycles. Drivers looking for motorcycles was a good thing last I checked whether they are lane splitting or not.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #347
baybueller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Rode 100 miles a day for 10 years and now do 50 a day in Ca bay area. The commute drivers as a rule work with bikes and make a little extra room. The weekend crowd, not so much.
One observance is as the afternoon weather gets warmer the drivers get squirllier .( i give up, 3 tries and still can't spell it).
baybueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #348
fishwich
El Borbah

Oddometer: 1,647
Never done it but I said I was for it. I think like a cager because I put in 10k miles a month in a 75' cage. I see lots of crazy behavior. Mostly from car drivers but some riders, too.
I do love Darwin but the NTSB and wrongful death attorneys don't view highway carnage as a natural result of survival of the fittest, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Have you noticed a trend in this thread? People that have actually done it are all for it. Those that haven't are skeered/unsure/hesitant.

Says something when 100% of the riders that have consistently shared lanes think its a good idea, don't it?! Maybe its not such a 'death wish' kind of riding, nicht war?!

M
fishwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #349
Any2wheelz
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Lived in California for 13 years and lane splitting is just part of life saves a lot of time sitting in traffic and i feel that it helps keep cages aware of us since we go ripping by while they are stuck going nowhere.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Any2wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #350
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Have you noticed a trend in this thread? People that have actually done it are all for it. Those that haven't are skeered/unsure/hesitant.

Says something when 100% of the riders that have consistently shared lanes think its a good idea, don't it?! Maybe its not such a 'death wish' kind of riding, nicht war?!

M
I have no doubt that lane sharing / lane splitting can be perfectly safe.

The problem is public awareness. Who is going to pay for all the PSAs advising the cagers on the new law? Who is going to encourage police to ticket drivers who act like jackasses?

We have a "slower traffic keep right" law in my State. It's irrespective of speed. In otherwords, you can be doing the speed limit in the hammer lane and if someone rolls up on you at something over the speed limit, you are obliged to move right and let them pass.

The State erected signs stating "slower traffic keep right". Allows cops to ticket people for not moving right. STILL, it's almost impossible to get people to move right, and when they do, most of them seem put out.

It would be a long, bumpy road getting the average driver to accept the fact that 2-wheelers have "special priviledges" like lane sharing...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #351
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
It would be a long, bumpy road getting the average driver to accept the fact that 2-wheelers have "special priviledges" like lane sharing...

Difficulty in application is no reason to keep it illegal.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #352
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Difficulty in application is no reason to keep it illegal.
I think it is exactly the reason why it is being kept illegal. A really bad reason of course, but just what I imagine is going through legislators' minds when something like lane splitting or filtering is proposed.
\
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #353
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
I think it is exactly the reason why it is being kept illegal. A really bad reason of course, but just what I imagine is going through legislators' minds when something like lane splitting or filtering is proposed.
\

I agree 100%. How do you convince the idiot masses to set their egos aside?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #354
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
i think it is exactly the reason why it is being kept illegal.
+1
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #355
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
You guys must not ever actually filter. The awareness/acceptance level of car drivers really matters very little. You're riding right past them before the drivers even know you're there. Of course you have to be alert at all times, but it really does not matter whether drivers see you coming or not (you should assume NOT). By the time they're aware of you, you're already well past them.

The only drivers you really need to worry about are the ones with red and blue lights on top. But from what I've seen in my area, they either don't care about bikes filtering or know they couldn't really catch up to you even if they wanted to.

There are so many misconceptions about filtering from riders who've never done it. I think the biggest one is that the non-filterers assume we're moving fast. Usually not true! I'm in first gear when I'm doing it here. I do it when traffic is stopped or just creeping.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #356
fritzthecat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I agree 100%. How do you convince the idiot masses to set their egos aside?
You have to make Filtering/Lane Splitting sound like it is for the Cages benefit.
Signs stating "It's the Law, let MCs by" are just going to piss off the drivers. But if you make it sound like the poor motorcycles are doing this for the Cars benefit, then a lot of drivers will get on board.

"Lane Splitting Reduces Congestion"
"Let MCs Get Out Of Your Way"
"Moving MCs = Less Commute Time For You"
"Get Home Earlier When MCs Clear The Road"

etc.

Fritz
Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #357
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf View Post
You guys must not ever actually filter. The awareness/acceptance level of car drivers really matters very little. You're riding right past them before the drivers even know you're there. Of course you have to be alert at all times, but it really does not matter whether drivers see you coming or not (you should assume NOT). By the time they're aware of you, you're already well past them.

I filter pretty often. Many drivers are quite aware that you are coming. Some will try to pinch you off. Others will open the door at you. Others still will chase you and try to swerve at you if they can get next to you. Most just honk and shout obscenities.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #358
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,215
With California plates i can lane share in all 50 States.
Modulating headlight really gets the attention of cage pilots.

Back in the late '80s a friend bought a used CHP KZ1000 for his long daily commute.
Lane sharing was never an issue for him.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #359
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I wish I could filter here in IL, but I know some jackass will do his best to kill me if I do.

Of course, I get cages filtering up next to me on a regular basis since I always try to stop far to the left or right so they know which way to go when the see me at the last moment (and I can jump up next to the car ahead.)
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #360
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf View Post

The only drivers you really need to worry about are the ones with red and blue lights on top. But from what I've seen in my area, they either don't care about bikes filtering or know they couldn't really catch up to you even if they wanted to.

There are so many misconceptions about filtering from riders who've never done it. I think the biggest one is that the non-filterers assume we're moving fast. Usually not true! I'm in first gear when I'm doing it here. I do it when traffic is stopped or just creeping.
I'll second the motion of 'you're gone before you register' concept. Can't tell you how much lane sharing I've done in the DC area. I'm actually COUNTING on the brain-dead/zombie commuter to not see me. IOW its up to me to make sure that I'm riding in a safe manner. TYPICALLY its 1st/2nd gear stuff, but in CA I'd share faster depending on what's going on around me.

There are things you can do to mitigate the risks (that are in another thread).

Among other things, and especially here in DC, sharing lanes would relieve more than a bit of congestion by getting a percentage of the cages off the freaking road in the first place!

I *know* there's a metric sht ton of bikes here that don't get commuted on because there's really no benefit. In actuality, there's lots of downsides if you can't move thru traffic.

...but try and get the AMA or ABATE to see this...

M