ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,491 76.86%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.29%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1940. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #421
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Yabbutt... that's Yurp. That shit won't fly here! They'll run ya into the oncoming car insteada moving.

M
Right, Exactly, Bullseye.............
And yet......You dumbasses still think it's a good idea.
Remember the original poll? 50 United States.
The poll said nothing about CA, it asked nothing about Europe or Asia, yet every illiterate moron on this damn forum has told me my opinion isn't valid because I Haven't ridden in CA (which I have stated that I was stationed there and rode there, but that's ok, because we know you can't read anyway) or Europe.
It's already legal in CA and most of Europe, we know that, the poll isn't talking about that.
I agree with Dummee, and the other stooges, it's not excepted and expected in the other 49 states therefore a bad idea. Thats why riders in 49 states shouldn't do it. I personally won't do it because I think it's rude. Ride your ride, I'll ride mine.
Now, if you mouth breathing moronaphyles feel like exchanging insults just step right up, I don't usually dip into those waters but I can when I feel like it.

ray h screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 07:33 PM
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #422
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
The poll said nothing about CA, it asked nothing about Europe or Asia, yet every illiterate moron on this damn forum has told me my opinion isn't valid because I Haven't ridden in CA (which I have stated that I was stationed there and rode there, but that's ok, because we know you can't read anyway) or Europe.
It's already legal in CA and most of Europe, we know that, the poll isn't talking about that.
I agree with Dummee, and the other stooges, it's not excepted and expected in the other 49 states therefore a bad idea. Thats why riders in 49 states shouldn't do it. I personally won't do it because I think it's rude. Ride your ride, I'll ride mine.
Now, if you mouth breathing moronaphyles feel like exchanging insults just step right up, I don't usually dip into those waters but I can when I feel like it.
I like the part where you take insults which have clearly been hurled at you all your life and try to use them to describe your betters.

And the word you're looking for is accepted.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #423
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I agree with Gummee, and the other stooges, it's not excepted and expected in the other 49 states therefore a bad idea. Thats why riders in 49 states shouldn't do it. I personally won't do it because I think it's rude. Ride your ride, I'll ride mine.
In the situation I was answering, the rider was passing into oncoming traffic NOT filtering or lane sharing. I know its done in Yurp, but its also expected in Yurp. It won't be expected here. Closest thing I've heard of is rural W. TX where they'll pull over on the shoulder for you to get by.

Now filtering and sharing are different critters. While lane sharing here in the DC area, typically I'm gone before I'm even a thought in the brain of the brain dead commuters. In the 18mos of commuting from outside Manassas to Rockville, I had precisely 3 incidents. All 3 were 'locals' IOW angry rednecks. The rest of the population of drivers? Not a clue I was there till I was well in front of them.

So, while its your *opinion* that its rude, I don't share that *opinion* and will continue to lane share when its safe regardless of legality.

If you wanna exchange insults, take it to Jo Momma.

M
Old 10-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #424
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
So, while its your *opinion* that its rude, I don't share that *opinion* and will continue to lane share when its safe regardless of legality.
On the way back from the inlaws this weekend, we took Lake Washington Blvd through Seattle, a very scenic park like road on the shore of Lake Washington.

It is clearly posted "yield to bicycles" and "bicycles have right of way".

By your logic, someone may choose to not yield to or respect a bicycles right of way if they can do it safely?
Are you ok with that type of individual picking and choosing of traffic laws when the shoe ends up on the other foot?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #425
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
On the way back from the inlaws this weekend, we took Lake Washington Blvd through Seattle, a very scenic park like road on the shore of Lake Washington.

By your logic, someone may choose to not yield to or respect a bicycles right of way if they can do it safely?
Are you ok with that type of individual picking and choosing of traffic laws when the shoe ends up on the other foot?
I pick and choose. Perhaps I shouldn't be OK with it, but it's what I do.

I always end up breaking the speed limit, just like 90% of people around me.
I always use my blinker, UNlike 80% of people around me.
I always stop at red lights, unless Right On Red is allowed.
I almost never filter, for fear of being assaulted by "yer jumping the line!" people.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #426
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

As long as its safe, I don't particularly care what you do. Its only when its unsafe that I get riled up. If you've read any of the 'Dear Bicyclists' thread in JM you'll see that I don't waver any from that stance.

In fact, had a 'student driver' car pass me over the crest of a small rise just now. WTF these people are teaching the kids is beyond me. Oh, and did I mention that the kid was riding the brake pedal? Yup. Brake lights on the whole time I could see the car.

If you're trying to catch me in an inconsistency, it won't happen.

...besides... we ALL know that people in cars don't yield to bicycles and we (bicyclists) certainly never have the ROW no matter what the signs say.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #427
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Thinking about lane sharing here in the DC area a little more. I'm curious how many people would actually ride something with 2 wheels if it were actually legal...

As it is, where's the benefit? Sit there in your gear alternately freezing or sweating your nethers off to act like a car? No thanks.

Now, if we were allowed to lane share, I'd bet that there'd be an amazing number of motos on the road. ...which would mean a subsequent decrease in the # of cars.

AFAI'm concerned, win-win. I/we get to have fun riding to work and you/they have fewer cars to deal with.

M
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #428
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
As long as its safe, I don't particularly care what you do. Its only when its unsafe that I get riled up. If you've read any of the 'Dear Bicyclists' thread in JM you'll see that I don't waver any from that stance.

In fact, had a 'student driver' car pass me over the crest of a small rise just now. WTF these people are teaching the kids is beyond me. Oh, and did I mention that the kid was riding the brake pedal? Yup. Brake lights on the whole time I could see the car.

If you're trying to catch me in an inconsistency, it won't happen.

...besides... we ALL know that people in cars don't yield to bicycles and we (bicyclists) certainly never have the ROW no matter what the signs say.
I was just woundering how you felt about others "playing on your lawn".

I've noticed that more often than not, folks who take liberties are often the first to cry foul when it's turned about.

While I may disavree with you, I will say kudos for having a sense of fair play.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #429
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Quote:
Private property is rooted in, and protected by, violence and the threat of violence.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #430
Sweetzombiejesus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I believe in North Carolina lane splitting is allowed like it is in CA, where it is not specifically forbidden.
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...spx?stateid=33
I don't know if it is common there or not.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #431
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
I split/filter do whatever I need to to keep moving. I go right by cops, not a fvck is given.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=236421
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #432
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

I've noticed that more often than not, folks who take liberties are often the first to cry foul when it's turned about.

While I may disavree with you, I will say kudos for having a sense of fair play.
I know that I'm an obstacle on the road. Note: I didn't say 'in the way.' So I try and make it fairly easy to get around me when its safe If it isn't safe, I'm pretty wide.

I've noticed that the people that kvetch the loudest are the ones that are most likely to do the offending action too so I try and not do the things I kvetch about. Most times it works.

If you've got the cojones to share lanes here in the DC area, I'm gonna make it easy for ya not the opposite. I'm all for it! If more of us did it, more would do it, and we'd ALL win.

M
Old 10-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #433
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Quote:
I know that I'm an obstacle on the road. Note: I didn't say 'in the way.' So I try and make it fairly easy to get around me when its safe If it isn't safe, I'm pretty wide.

I've noticed that the people that kvetch the loudest are the ones that are most likely to do the offending action too so I try and not do the things I kvetch about. Most times it works.

If you've got the cojones to share lanes here in the DC area, I'm gonna make it easy for ya not the opposite. I'm all for it! If more of us did it, more would do it, and we'd ALL win.

M
Ditto and Ditto.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #434
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,463
Quote:
.....If you've got the cojones to share lanes here in the DC area, I'm gonna make it easy for ya not the opposite. I'm all for it! If more of us did it, more would do it, and we'd ALL win.

M
No doubt. After being rear ended on the bike once and twice in my truck I hate sitting in a traffic jam with a target on my back. But road raging assholes scare me even worse than getting rear ended.

So I don't do it. But if I see somebody doing it they get as much room as I can give. Same for intersections. I would love to see more people do it. I just don't care to be an early adopter in this road raging hell.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #435
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
No doubt. After being rear ended on the bike once and twice in my truck I hate sitting in a traffic jam with a target on my back. But road raging assholes scare me even worse than getting rear ended.

So I don't do it. But if I see somebody doing it they get as much room as I can give. Same for intersections. I would love to see more people do it. I just don't care to be an early adopter in this road raging hell.
The one idiot in a truck I mentioned above? He saw me coming from a few cars over and started to hug the lane lines.

I saw him from a few cars back. Its actually pretty easy to spot problems before they're problems if you lane share enough. This one was obvious from a ways back.

So I keep moseying up the middle as this guy's getting closer and closer to the lane lines.

I see him in his rear view mirror looking at me with an evil eye

So I slowed down just to see what he was gonna do.

Mind you, I'm in stop and go traffic. He'll move maybe 10' at a time so I have PLENTY of time to assess the sitation.

So he's all the way over on the line. I could see the daggers in the rear view. He's thinking he's 'teaching me a lesson.'

So I wait till he's darn near over into the other lane

...and just go around him the other way.

I don't remember if I told him he was #1 but I doubt it. IIRC I was too busy laughing and waving at him. After all, I'm around him with very little hassle. He's stuck in traffic. I'm moving. He's pissed off. I'm not.

All in all there was really no need for me to do anything but shake my head in amazement and keep going.

...and this was on a GS-Adv WITH the Adv bags! Point being: there's more room in the lanes than people think.

M