ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,492 76.87%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.28%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1941. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #481
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Two pics from Spain (Barcelona)...

Sign indicating that motos should advance to the filter zone..
Barcelona also has lots and lots of motorcycle parking. Definitely a motorcycle friendly city.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #482
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
That law change in Sydney is a start. I'm hoping that we here in the US can point to that and say 'lookit there. It works! Now let US do it.'

M
Old 10-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #483
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,637
Filter zone, those things should be everywhere.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #484
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
Thanks.

Back to business. Z1000 makes a great lane splitting bike, high mirrors, light steering.
High mirrors = bad for lane splitting here in TX. There are no cars here, everybody drives a damn pickup or SUV! You would think with the price of gas people would start buying cars, but I just keep seeing more new pickups.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #485
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
High mirrors = bad for lane splitting here in TX. There are no cars here, everybody drives a damn pickup or SUV! You would think with the price of gas people would start buying cars, but I just keep seeing more new pickups.
I remember... hell even I had a pickup when I lived there, lol.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #486
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,513
Quote:
When you need a truck, it's nice to have a truck.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #487
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
When you need a truck, it's nice to have a truck.
Yeah, but a lot of them don't need a truck. Most people use them for commuting only, I know people at work that are single, live in an apartment, and drive a truck, because well everybody else does, and they want to look cool, and that's what people drive here. Then they sit around all day and bitch about the price of gas. One of them even drives 110 miles RT a day in a Chevy 3500 Dually . I suggested maybe a Corolla for commuting, he just looked at me and said I'm a cowboy, I drive a truck, and I wouldn't be seen in one of them deathtraps. OK end of discussion.!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #488
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
I prefer for it to be legal to pass on double yellow like in Vermont over lane splitting

if I were a more urban or suburban rider, I'd prolly want land splitting as well, but as a rural rider, I never see enuf traffic to lane split with

on the subject of lane splitting in all 50 states, no way, that would mean that traffic laws would be federalized and I prefer each state to decide what is safe in their state, not some bureaucrat from Washington DC
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #489
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post

on the subject of lane splitting in all 50 states, no way, that would mean that traffic laws would be federalized and I prefer each state to decide what is safe in their state, not some bureaucrat from Washington DC

As the thread starter I tend to agree with this. I wish we could get the backbone back in the 10th amendment that was shattered back in the 1800's. Besides there are states that simply do not need lane sharing to be legal. Montana, Wyoming...

I do believe that filtering to the front at stop lights is a very good idea and would save many injured riders from inattentive drivers making them into a motorcycle sammich.

"sammich" is [Klay] approved adv slang so don't even go there.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #490
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
I prefer for it to be legal to pass on double yellow like in Vermont over lane splitting

if I were a more urban or suburban rider, I'd prolly want land splitting as well, but as a rural rider, I never see enuf traffic to lane split with

Now you're talking about methods, which the original post did not go into. I do think that lanesplitting should be legal everywhere, but agree that the federal government should have nothing to do with that issue whatsoever. The motorcyclists in each state should organize and promote the idea locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
As the thread starter I tend to agree with this. I wish we could get the backbone back in the 10th amendment that was shattered back in the 1800's. Besides there are states that simply do not need lane sharing to be legal. Montana, Wyoming...

I do believe that filtering to the front at stop lights is a very good idea and would save many injured riders from inattentive drivers making them into a motorcycle sammich.
I also completely agree with putting teeth back in the 10th Amendment. The states have to do that for themselves (and there are encouraging signs that this is starting to happen). The biggest setback to that, and a *huge* mistake, was the 17th Amendment.

As for "Besides there are states that simply do not need lane sharing to be legal. Montana, Wyoming...", you are operating from the wrong paradigm. It isn't the things a place needs to be legal; they should have to demonstrate a need for something to be illegal before making it so. The default should be that a thing is legal, and only made illegal if the legislators can clearly show that doing so protects the rights of someone, or prevents some from harming or endangering others.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (232,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)

PhilB screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 08:43 AM
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #491
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Now you're talking about methods, which the original post did not go into. I do think that lanesplitting should be legal everywhere, but agree that the federal government should have nothing to do with that issue whatsoever. The motorcyclists in each state should organize and promote the idea locally.

I also completely agree with putting teeth back in the 10th Amendment. The states have to do that for themselves (and there are encouraging signs that this is starting to happen). The biggest setback to that, and a *huge* mistake, was the 17th Amendment.

As for "Besides there are states that simply do not need lane sharing to be legal. Montana, Wyoming...", you are operating from the wrong paradigm. It isn't the things a place needs to be legal; they should have to demonstrate a need for something to be illegal before making it so. The default should be that a thing is legal, and only made illegal if the legislators can clearly show that doing so protects the rights of someone, or prevents some from harming or endangering others.

PhilB

Scramster
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #492
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
The default should be that a thing is legal, and only made illegal if the legislators can clearly show that doing so protects the rights of someone, or prevents some from harming or endangering others.

PhilB
Agreed. 100%.

M
Old 10-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #493
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
I still say passing on double yellow is more important than lane splitting

maybe cause in a day of riding I'll pass on double yellows several times. situations where I would like to filter is something I just never see, even when I do go to the big city, I do it at time of day when traffic is minimal
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #494
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,528
Quote:

PhilB

BLESS YOU!!!

What happened to the days when the vast majority believed this?
Old 10-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #495
actionshooter10
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Yeah, but a lot of them don't need a truck. Most people use them for commuting only, I know people at work that are single, live in an apartment, and drive a truck, because well everybody else does, and they want to look cool, and that's what people drive here. Then they sit around all day and bitch about the price of gas. One of them even drives 110 miles RT a day in a Chevy 3500 Dually . I suggested maybe a Corolla for commuting, he just looked at me and said I'm a cowboy, I drive a truck, and I wouldn't be seen in one of them deathtraps. OK end of discussion.!
I own a truck but do all my commuting on my bike.

+1 on legalizing RESPONSIBLE splitting/filtering.
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote