ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,491 76.86%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.29%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1940. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #46
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
I love California! Half of the reason I take my bike is so I can split during heavy traffic times.
You just have to be SUPER careful and SUPER aware........
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #47
wjpjump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
make it legal in 49/50. probably no traffic in north dakota anyway
wjpjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #48
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward
Uh, R1150RT-P?
Nope, though my main bike is bumblebee, a very yellow one but I get the same treatment on my XR.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #49
Le Barge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
It should be illegal...It's dangerous and stupid and shouldn't be approved of by the government officially.....That being said ...
I am all for the new philosophy of mine which clearly states that no thinking human should or will enforce some crappy law that is just plain ignorant .....I am a firm believer in the ...We don't screw around state philosophy ... The first state to addopt this as their motto and put it on their flag and into practice has me for a citizen..
As good citizens we need to defy ignorant laws and make the sacrafice nessesary to change them ....or at least the guts to stand up against them ...
Everyone knows Mac Donalds food sucks But how many of us will pick up a rock and throw it at the building in subtle protest......I see millions of stones and not a building in sight ..except for the guy next door making really good burgers ..and cowering a lil bit .
Le Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #50
TheBigSteve
I wish my name was Dick.

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Barge
It should be illegal...It's dangerous and stupid and shouldn't be approved of by the government officially.....That being said ...
I am all for the new philosophy of mine which clearly states that no thinking human should or will enforce some crappy law that is just plain ignorant .....I am a firm believer in the ...We don't screw around state philosophy ... The first state to addopt this as their motto and put it on their flag and into practice has me for a citizen..
As good citizens we need to defy ignorant laws and make the sacrafice nessesary to change them ....or at least the guts to stand up against them ...
Everyone knows Mac Donalds food sucks But how many of us will pick up a rock and throw it at the building in subtle protest......I see millions of stones and not a building in sight ..except for the guy next door making really good burgers ..and cowering a lil bit .
How can you even say that with all the evidence that it's safer (already having been posted in the thread)?
TheBigSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #51
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigSteve
How can you even say that with all the evidence that it's safer (already having been posted in the thread)?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #52
crazymactech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
That is a idiotic assumption. Why would someone on an air cooled engine want to sit in traffic? I ride a Harley and lane split illegally so my engine doesn't over heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
I cant think of any rider that actually wants to sit in traffic.... well, other than the Harley riders around here in LA - they love sitting in traffic for some reason. Plus wearing a leather jacket and chaps whiles stopped in 90 degree weather sucks.

crazymactech screwed with this post 07-16-2008 at 05:36 PM
crazymactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #53
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Barge

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #54
amr2ul
Machinery 2 Upper Level

Oddometer: 294
Not sure how often I'd take advantage of it but it would be nice to have the option. Of course it will be a problem when misused in an irresponsible way by various redneck squids...
Diver
Check out my novel, DEFENDER, a Kindle e-book, www.Amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Z1U7UI
amr2ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:52 AM   #55
mistercindy
In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer: 2,905
Couple of thoughts. First, I think the biggest opposition to lane splitting in America, whatever people may say about safety, is a combination of jealousy (ie., "I can't do it so why should he!?!") and particularly ignorance. I remember when I lived overseas how I was first exposed to lane splitting. I was driving on a busy city road in Johannesburg. At a stoplight a motorcyclist lane-split by me and it pissed off the ugly-American in me ("How rude!!!"). It didn't take but a day or two to realize that it was customary, perfectly legal, and safe. But try to convince most Americans of that and they will insist otherwise because they just don't know any better.

Lots of comments about it being illegal in America, and a couple of comments about Texas. There is no law in Texas that specifically forbids lane-splitting. Rather, the law simply does not address it. If you lane-split in Texas and get a citation it will not be for lane-splitting. It'll be for some catch-all offense like "unsafe driving." It depends on the officer. If the officer is a motorcyclist then you probably won't get pulled over, or if you do, you'll only get a warning to be safe. I've heard of people going to court over lane-splitting, and if you get a judge who is a motorcyclist you stand a decent chance of being found not guilty. It again goes to American ignorance. While you do risk a citation for lane-splitting in Texas (and most places in the USA), its not because its specifically outlawed. Its because the American culture, including law enforcement, doesn't know any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO
Yes all the way. I hate sitting in traffic after work.

While were at it, legalize (decriminalize, at least) that other thing that gets bantered about quite often.
+420

The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.

mistercindy screwed with this post 07-18-2008 at 07:35 AM
mistercindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #56
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,481
Lane Splitting Legalize it!!

i lived in Cali for a number of years and I always enjoyed the ability to "share" lanes. It isn't that is legal, it just isn't technically illegal. I moved to Hawaii for a year where traffic was HORRENDOUS and just filtered all the time on my way to and from work until HPD's finest pulled me over one day to let me know that "this isn't the mainland" and he "didn't want to see me doing that again." Not to mention all of the people who got supremely pissed and would honk horns and sometimes even open their doors. If it is legal, there neds to be a public awareness campaign to educate drivers about the fact that it is okay and highlights the reasons it makes sense.

I did it the other day driving into NY through Connecticut and got a lot of honking angry drivers riled up. I wasn't flying either, just making my way through almost completely stopped traffic. The last thing i want is someone to rear-end me as they are drinking their double mocha cappucino, talking on their cell phone and scolding the kids in the back seat as they read their morning paper.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #57
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59
I didn't like the choices...
+1

Its not something that could ever be 50 state legal everywhere all the time.

the first problem to address is the entire system of licensing, making drivers more educated and qualified. this includes rider education. and tv commercials about watching for cycles and such.
then you gotta consider where its a good place and where its not, which roads, which intersections, etc. and you'd have to make a sign system to inform people where splitting is allowed and where its not. then, maybe, it could work.

but yea, while we're dreaming, lets decriminalize the weed too. im down.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #58
tiger4me
Never to cold to ride!

Oddometer: 39
soooo....is california the only state that allows it?
tiger4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #59
AKStrom
Just call me 'Magellan'

Oddometer: 1,233
Not sure about Cali-style high-speed splitting here. I really do think they ought to de-criminalize filtering though.

As it is right now if a local cop sees you filtering up through stopped traffic, you're likely to get a Rodney King.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #60
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStrom
Not sure about Cali-style high-speed splitting here. I really do think they ought to de-criminalize filtering though.

As it is right now if a local cop sees you filtering up through stopped traffic, you're likely to get a Rodney King.
It is interesting that, from what I understand, in Japan filtering is totally legal and expected. I have been told there were two lines at traffic lights, one where cars are to stop and one closer to the intersection for bikes to filter up. They know the bikes will accelerate quicker -even scooters do - and it is a time saver by closing up traffic, eliminating all those gaps created by having bikes sit in the traffic line. I am sure the safety factor comes in there somewhere too.

Of course this would require intellegence, understanding, and courtesy to be applied in the U.S. None of which exists when people get behind the wheel; or legislators and law enforcement agencies take into account creating and enforcing laws. We're S.O.L. in that respect...

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote