ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,492 76.87%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.28%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1941. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #76
Taquito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Borrowing from the bicycling world, I once saw a documentary on making it safer for bicyclists in 4 cities: Copenhagen, Bogotá (Columbia), London, and New York City. Each of these, downtown London in particular, they took lanes AWAY from cagers are made the only traffic allowed in these lanes municipal buses and bicycles.

Why shouldn't we consider taking a lane AWAY from the cagers on the freeway and making it motorcycles only? If/when gas hits $7.00/gal, the number of motorcycles might double...

Los Angeles, California took a street away, or created a street in some cases, for the "Orange Line" high-speed, limited stop bus (no cages allowed on this street). I think it's worked out fine IMO.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:54 PM   #77
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taquito
Borrowing from the bicycling world, I once saw a documentary on making it safer for bicyclists in 4 cities: Copenhagen, Bogotá (Columbia), London, and New York City. Each of these, downtown London in particular, they took lanes AWAY from cagers are made the only traffic allowed in these lanes municipal buses and bicycles.

Why shouldn't we consider taking a lane AWAY from the cagers on the freeway and making it motorcycles only? If/when gas hits $7.00/gal, the number of motorcycles might double...

Los Angeles, California took a street away, or created a street in some cases, for the "Orange Line" high-speed, limited stop bus (no cages allowed on this street). I think it's worked out fine IMO.

I dont think you're going to get any grief for a dedicated bike lane here in LA from the Bikers...

you got one vote from me....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #78
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
Bluhduh

It should be legal as long as it's the same for all vehicles on the road. Since a bike doesn't use all of the lane another vehicle should be able to pull up along side. It's only fair.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #79
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

If there were dedicated motorcycles lanes everywhere, we wouldn't have to deal with this issue at all!

....case closed.

Quote:
Old 08-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #80
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
i think it should be legal.

i don't have to lane split where i live but have been in places where it would have been nice to be able to. i agree with other posters that a big problem would be the 'entitlement' mentality that seems to be rampant nowadays. meaning a cager sees a moto biker getting something that the cager is not. in the case of lane splitting it would be a savings of time. some cagers would say "that's not fair! whaaa whaa whaaaa, i'm not saving any time so why should bikers be allowed to?"

al
Old 08-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #81
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtgeek
i think it should be legal.

i don't have to lane split where i live but have been in places where it would have been nice to be able to. i agree with other posters that a big problem would be the 'entitlement' mentality that seems to be rampant nowadays. meaning a cager sees a moto biker getting something that the cager is not. in the case of lane splitting it would be a savings of time. some cagers would say "that's not fair! whaaa whaa whaaaa, i'm not saving any time so why should bikers be allowed to?"

al

let us not forget that anything simply sitting in traffic is a HUGE WASTE of a fuel and causes lots of pollution. Why make the bikes waste fuel and pollute if they dont need to be? it just doesnt make any sense.
Quote:
Old 08-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #82
BykMyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
split every day on my commute.
Why my caged friends ask?
Here are a few reasons:
1. I'm sitting there breathing car fumes, you're texting in AC comfort.
2. I'm wearing all my ATGATT, it's hot, you're reading in AC comfort.
3. it's hard on the clutch and hand to crawl along at 3mph, you're eating in AC comfort.
4. I'm freeing a car space for a soccer Mom, she's....beating the kid in the back seat.
5. It's safer, you aren't going to rear end me while you're texting and beating your kid.
6. I'm saving gas, you can use it for your SUV.
7. I can get away from the sports car asshats that want to race a bike.
9. 'cause I can!
Old 08-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #83
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,296
Not legal here..

Only folks I have seen do it are the crotch rocket types who don't do ATGATT. Looks dumb and dangerous; Here cagers will cut them off so the biker loses.

Maybe if everyone knew it was legal and understood what was happening it would be safer to do but here cagers get really pissed about it.
begeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #84
specterunseenHouston
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Eek

Bump.

See this post:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413349

We actually have a shot... (BTW, keep the debate to this thread, the other is for taking action, we are short on time as the texas sessions starts in jan 09 i believe!)
specterunseenHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #85
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseenHouston
Bump.

See this post:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413349

We actually have a shot... (BTW, keep the debate to this thread, the other is for taking action, we are short on time as the texas sessions starts in jan 09 i believe!)

Yeah, that's what it said in the other forum, too... why don't you want "debate"?
I attended the WA legislative hearings a couple years ago, and there were good arguments against lane sharing by motorcyclists and legislator's alike.
Those in favor of the bill were not as well prepared.
Mebbe' you'll have better luck in Tejas, but you may as well hear what the opposition has to say... before they're testifying in front of your legislature.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #86
drakehouse
Burnin' & Turnin'

Oddometer: 114
Cleaner / Greener

Our city has but in may bicycle lanes.
Lets clear off part of the shoulder/inside median dedicate lane.
If not dedicated lanes, then allow shoulder usage when pure congestion exists.

Best to swim against the curent than float down stream
drakehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #87
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
It should be legal as long as it's the same for all vehicles on the road. Since a bike doesn't use all of the lane another vehicle should be able to pull up along side. It's only fair.
I hope you're not actually serious. Tell us you're not that moronic.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #88
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
I suspect you were trying for sarcasm, but I'm pretty certain it is legal. Thats what we have here, lane sharing. I have no problem with sharing my lane with a responsible cage. Its exceptionally rare that a cage has done that but it has happened.

You do know that the true reason CA allows lane sharing at all is the CHP Motors did not want to give up the right to do it themselves while not on emergency response? I would think as a Motor you would be solidly in the lane sharing camp. The CA Motors are wizards at the split, and for me it is as entertaining as a good canyon ride to fly behind a Motor while on the split. I have followed Motors at a good 75 mph in 55 mph traffic.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #89
robtharalson
Old, bold rider

Oddometer: 43
In my 50+ years of riding, and (oh, let's see ... haven't figured it lately) 38 years of lane sharing on all roads where it is possible I've never had an accident and only a couple of close calls when doing it. In fact in three instances it has saved me from involvement in accidents that would have been very bad, if not fatal! Most of the time cars will try to give me more room even when I don't need it, and I always try to acknowledge their efforts with a friendly wave. Another aspect of it is I try to make drivers aware of problems with their cars, such as a low tire or brake lights out, and it is always appreciated. I have waved cars into my lane, usually dropping back to make sure the car behind me doesn't fill the slot I've cleared, then splitting past them, and invariably get a most enthusiastic wave of thanks. The point is lane sharing (careful use of words here) means being part of traffic, not separate from it, as many motorcyclists seem to assume.

One memorable incident comes to mind -- on the 10 fwy during "rush hour", there was an accident about a mile ahead that stopped traffic almost completely, and as I was splitting came up next to a LEO car and offered to give him a ride to the scene, which he declined (he was alone in the car), but gave me his walkie talkie and asked if I would be willing to give him a report of the accident and injuries, which I agreed to do. When I got there I reported back on the license numbers, position in lanes, extent of injuries, and condition of the lanes not directly affected. Fortunately there were only minor injuries, most notably a scalp laceration that was not deep but bleeding copiously, and I calmed her down while holding a handkercheif against it until an ambulance arrived. I still get Christmas cards from her, and got a commendation from the police.

Lane sharing, if done properly, is safer than sitting in traffic, and there is no doubt in my mind that it has made me a better rider by teaching the finer points of reading traffic and deadly accurate control inputs: an inch off from your intended path can be a disaster! Needless to say, I voted for legalization.

Rob
robtharalson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #90
GSjoyride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Thumb yes

it works wonderfully in LA traffic,
in San Fransisco traffic,
in Sacramento traffic,
in Santa Cruz traffic......

it's become so customary, that the cagers create a wide