ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,512 77.02%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.74%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.16%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 187 9.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1963. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #106
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob
Why? We promise we will not hurt you. The "rapidly appearing" thing is not really a problem if you are paying any sort of attention, and if you are not paying attention the bike is most likely past you before you know its there.

I guess you should not drive a car or ride a bike in CA.
Have you ever been on the highways in the Northeast? I been to California a few times and let me tell you I was absolutely shocked when vehicles ahead of me actually used the pullouts in the road to let me by. This happened repeatedly so know it wasn't just a fluke. Out here , it's people in their own world driving completely out of step in the left lane, crossing 3 lanes in one swoop to exit or the other half thats all about me, me ,me and swerve , speed up or cut off anyone who dares get in the way. Until they combine rear facing cameras into cell phones and eye scanners that automatically activate turn signals, No way I'm riding down the middle of fast moving traffic here.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #107
AKStrom
Just call me 'Magellan'

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast
Mandatory minimum one year driving disqualification for first offence in UK - and as I noted earlier, there is no "drive to work" license or any other way around it. No mopeds either, as they also require a license. You'd be riding public transport or cycling.

Back on topic; provided you have a license, filtering between lanes of traffic on your motorcycle is legal. Had fun back in June, leading a US friend through Birmingham, on the M-6, at rush hour, in the pouring rain.
Even the cops drive drunk around here.

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=0a5...a-0b3df3a769b7

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/stre..._calkins_must_

The drunk drivers were out in force even before the sun set on the 31st, I saw three obviously impaired drivers at 3pm.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #108
2Evil4U
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
I suppose I'd want it to be legal, but having grown up near Rhode Island and New Jersey, and now living in Louisiana, there are many states where I wouldn't trust the cagers as far as I could throw them.

Every week down here I see some new stunt that just comes out of the "Did I just see that?" area of the driving manual. Latest favorite. I was running about 10 over on a 55mph fairly straight road. Car comes up my ass, tailgates for about 1/4 mile, passes me and about 1/4 mile up stops and turns left into a driveway with no signal. Other personal fav's are the use of the center turn lane for passing, and turning either direction from the farthest lane away from the direction you're turning or stopping at the top of an interstate on-ramp and waiting for traffic moving 75mph to let you in. And that's not including about 80% of all drivers running every stop sign when they're turning right.

Lane split in Louisiana? Not even if it WAS legal.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #109
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Evil4U
Lane split in Louisiana? Not even if it WAS legal.
Y'all have kind of a strange notion of sharing. TYPICALLY traffic's not going faster'n about 30 AND in bumper to bumper traffic, what're they gonna do?! Lane 2 potentially COULD open a door and lane 1 potentially try and squeeze you. Either potential thing is see-able if your head's on a swivel and you're alert to the signs.

When sharing, I'll look in the mirrors of the drivers I'm about to pass. Typically you don't see faces (ie: they're not lookin in the mirrors like they was taught in driver's ed. ) till they're about to do something. See a face and PAY ATTENTION!

If you can't see faces in mirrors, watch the front tires or watch for the cage drifting to one side of the lane or another. Front tires will twitch/turn before the car does, giving you that extra time to get the funk outta the way.

I know its been said above somewhere, but the safest place to share lanes is between two cages. If there's a gap, there's a chance someone's gonna try and pull into it! I've BTDT. I'll actually wait to pass till there's two cages side-by-side if I've been spooked that day.

I've spent a significant amount of time sharing lanes up and down the 5 in Sandy Eggo. Its not bad, just different! Course its gonna take some SERIOUS edumacating of yer typical brain-dead commuter to get it thru their thick skulls. Gee wonder what the AMA has going on other than fighting helmet laws?

BTW, its nothing you don't already do! yer just in closer quarters.

M
Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #110
PU Skunk
not quite as noobish

Oddometer: 214
I would love to lane split in places I know are chronically backed up, only at certain times of the day. The place it really needs to be legal is Atlanta, already when the interstate is backed up, all the bikes go down in between the HOV lane and the next lane in that wide section.

I remember when I had a 8-5 job, that hit rush hour both ways, and I had to ride home through the most congested part of the interstate on the way home, where it backed up before an exit for another interstate. No reason not to split there.
PU Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:06 AM   #111
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Of course it should be legal.

The only thing I worry about is that riders in a lot of areas have invested heavily into the "BIKERS GET EQUAL SPACE" mentality and it's taken a lot of work to get cagers to stop trying to share the lane with motorcycles (i.e. steal our lane and squeek by us). If we can do it to them, they will want to do it back to us. I really like having a little bit of confidence that my lane is MINE (90% of the time at least) and that most drivers won't just try and run me off/out of my lane.

Do you California drivers find that your "right to a full lane" is lessoned by the acceptance of lane-splitting/filtering? Or am I worried about a non-issue?

I would think that cagers would think "what is good for the goose is good for the gander...."

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:16 AM   #112
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,414
For most people, lane spliting means a motorcycle speeding between cars at high speed on the highway.

Personally, most of the lane spliting I have done is when traffic slows down to a crawl, bumper to bumper, I maneuver between cars at speed below 25 mph. I've ridden past police cars stuck in traffic, numerous times on the Schuylkill Expressway, or NYC tunnel traffic, never once they turned on the siren/lights and gave me a hard time.

I vote that lane spliting should be legal at all traffic pattern, but below certain speed that is well below the speed limit.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #113
tuffgong
Bon Pilote

Oddometer: 136
[quote=markk53]He'd shit himself in parts of Europe. Drivers allow lane splitting on two lane roads, provided there is room. The drivers will open up for the overtaking vehicle. Legal? I don't know, but sure is courteous as heck! One friend in the military told me they do it for cars or bikes. A few others did the Alps tour on BMWs and said the same - the European drivers realize some drivers will go faster, at legal speeds or not legal speeds, and will allow those faster drivers the right-of-way needed to allow them past. That was especially true with bikes on the tighter roadways.

There was even a video out on the web, I think it was posted here, of a supermoto rider who was blasting around the roads (clearly some European country), wheelying past cars, left of center... never a horn honked at the idiot. He even split the two lane road - on the back wheel, with the oncoming vehicle giving room.

Imagine that happening in this country... drivers think they're entitled to screw everyone but them. There is so little courtesy it stinks.[/quote

I just spent two years in the Pyrenees in SW France, and they move over for you with no thought at all. This includes oncoming traffic on two lane roads. Throwing out your right leg in thanks as you pass is considered the polite thing to do. You never wait at lights or the few stop signs that you encounter(mostly roundabouts,which are a total blast on a bike). You also can park virtually anywhere you want. Many shopping centers have covered parking with lock bars as well. Generally, they respect Motos and riders and treat them well .As for licensing, it takes months to get a license. Very tough written standards and difficult rraod tests. Moto Ecoles are everywhere and groups of "in training" riders can be seen on caged bikes and flour vests. And the Scooters.......!!! I miss it greatly.

tuffgong screwed with this post 01-16-2009 at 07:15 AM
tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #114
OldManDragon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
FWIW, I vote to make it legal everywhere in the US. We can start here in Georgia!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #115
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
Learned in a splitting-legal country... repatriated to traffic central

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
The only thing I worry about is that riders in a lot of areas have invested heavily into the "BIKERS GET EQUAL SPACE" mentality and it's taken a lot of work to get cagers to stop trying to share the lane with motorcycles (i.e. steal our lane and squeek by us). If we can do it to them, they will want to do it back to us.
I got my initial MC license in Norway, and over there the both of the above scenarios are legal! Two cars may not share a lane, but a car and motorcycle can. So, if you want to pass/split: legal. If a bike is going slowly for whatever reason, the polite thing to do is to ride in the right wheel track and let cars blow by. As long as everybody plays by the same rules, everything is kosher. This is, in part, necessitated by the relatively narrow roads and relatively low speeds that are the norm in Norway, however it probably won't ever happen in the USA with the state-by-state licensing system and greater number of multilane roads.

Now that I am back in the USA I wish it were as accepted here. Most urban areas tolerate limited lane splitting, but as has been pointed out, that's more a function of gridlock than driver awareness and isn't legal except in CA. I ride my BMW when I want to either go far or fast... both are required on my current commute, but I take the cage these days because traffic is so bad that the BMW is just too heavy and the R bike clutch does not like the stop-start-slip required for extended stays on the Beltway. Splitting through traffic would save wear and tear on both the bike and my psyche. My scooter is perfect for traffic, but would be even better if I could legally nip up to the head of the line at traffic lights. Its light weight and peppy engine means it can keep up with traffic in the city/burbs, especially if it gets off the line first.

F

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #116
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Where I live splitting is not legal or common, so when I choose to split it is usually met with much honking and name calling from the drivers sitting in their cages caught in traffic, I have even have drivers open a car door to block my way. Very weird. Seems trapped cage drivers can not stand to watch a bike glide through the mess they are stuck in, go figure.

Taking my chances.
2001 KTM 640 ADV....most versatile
1999 KTM 300 EXC....woods weapon
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #117
curbjumper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoskiguy
Where I live splitting is not legal or common, so when I choose to split it is usually met with much honking and name calling from the drivers sitting in their cages caught in traffic, I have even have drivers open a car door to block my way. Very weird. Seems trapped cage drivers can not stand to watch a bike glide through the mess they are stuck in, go figure.

Taking my chances.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Lane splitting is not legal where I live and ride- but when I'm on the highway and there are two pickups- one in the left lane, and one in the right- apparently content to stay like that until their next oil change... it's not even a consideration or a question for me.
It's just done and I'm on my way.

It should be legal.
curbjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #118
Drewdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
If I see a bike coming through the lanes and I'm kinda close to the other car I give some space before I stop.

In Cali I think they just don't want there to be more than a 10mph difference between the cars stopped and the bikes splitting. Totally reasonable.

Bikes deserve a break. We have to deal with idiots in their cars and we are also better for the environment.
Drewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #119
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills
When you break through some really dense section of bumper to bumper, hurry up and get to the next really dense section of bumper to bumper before you get taken out by somebody that sees a few empty spots in line.
Said another way, if when sharing lanes you stumble across a car sized hole in traffic, either occupy the lane or put it behind you.
Sound wisdom
Old 03-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #120
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '14

Oddometer: 1,801
I was once heading up from NYC to the Finger Lakes (pre-GPS days) when a trucker at a gas stop warned me there was 9 miles of backup on the (only) route north around there...due to an accident.

I got back on the highway and found the delays a half mile up the road.

I lane-split for the next 8.50 miles at about 5-10 MPH. Four lanes, thousands of cars were passed I estimate.

Then I got a weird Spidey sense just as I was coming up to the accident and pulled back into traffic and waited.

3 minutes later a motorcycle LEO came flying up the shoulder, passed by me fast, and kept going.

-Eff