User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #46
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Camping out in Dawson

Lotsa bikes were arriving in town and things were starting to get busy for D2D.The local campground in town was getting kinda jammed up. I figured I could find a good renegade style hide-out campsight, and also wanted to ride up to the big lookout as had been recommended.From the lookout I could see a short ways down to a com tower.Such locations had been good to me in the past and sure enough I found a nice quiet spot.

I had a great view from up here. I went back into town to check things out.

When we had completed the Dempster the bikes were very dirty.Dick from the hotel where I left my tires, had mentioned that when we get back to Dawson pull around back and wash the bikes.I stop back at the campground where all the bikes are and its getting quite full.

Diamond Tooth Guerties

The next morning I went to the Dempster Information place and brought the girls there some donuts.They quizzed me about my ride and I told them it was great. I signed the book there, and began chatting it up with the locals as I usually do, this leads to all kinds of usefull info.Such as the grizzly bear thats been sighted up at the lookout. Really? tell me more about this.
There is a time and place for being cheap and saving money, and this is not it(camping out at the com tower) I figured I would move down from the grizzly country and set-up at the campsite just a mile or two from town.I got a nice spot and the couple next to me were riding around the world for the last year and a half.Good neighbors at the campsite.

Ok so its time to do some tourist stuff and go ride around.

I met these 2 fellows who were waiting for their ride.They were doing some kind of river expedition or something.I recognized the accent as they were struggling to speak to me.I began talking to them in Finn and they were a bit surprised. I had a good long talk about Finland, and Canada, and travelling.It was a great moment.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 07-14-2008 at 09:47 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #47
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider

Oddometer: 238
OK U got me hooked just like the fish.Planning to that way next year. Why is your MC battery going dry all the time.Is it overcharger? I really enjoy GOOD pictures too. Keep them coming.
BlueByU06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #48
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

D2d

I never took a pile of photos.I entered in the slow race with all the luggage on the bike and was doing ok, but dabbed near the finish line. Some of the scenes from Dust to Dawson.

This rider was going all the way down to Ushuia.There was another rider on a KTM going also on a similiar trip.I never got a photo of the KTM.

It was great to meet all you FF's at D2D !

Now from here I continue onwards.There is more exploring to do. I think it was 4 nights in Dawson after having done the Arctic segment up north.

More coming......
Old 07-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #49
jeckyll
Kneedragger

Oddometer: 589
Great stuff!

Liard river brings back memories. I was up there in '92 looks much the same from what I remember.

Looking forward to the rest of the report!

jeckyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #50
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06
OK U got me hooked just like the fish.Planning to that way next year. Why is your MC battery going dry all the time.Is it overcharger? I really enjoy GOOD pictures too. Keep them coming.
I dunno. It does'nt seem to be overcharging,I never put a meter on it yet.They had some(lots) in stock at Canadian Tire in Whitehorse Ykn,but I cheeped out and never replaced the battery, the last chance to do so before heading up into the boonies.Every 2000km it needs to be refilled.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:20 PM   #51
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.

Oddometer: 345
Great RR. I'm in!
SmugMug Goodness Coupon Code (GZnn7vYHaHJjg)
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:52 AM   #52
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider
I dunno. It does'nt seem to be overcharging,I never put a meter on it yet.They had some(lots) in stock at Canadian Tire in Whitehorse Ykn,but I cheeped out and never replaced the battery, the last chance to do so before heading up into the boonies.Every 2000km it needs to be refilled.
I checked mine recently as well...it was pretty well bone dry!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #53
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Silver Trail

The evening in Dawson...the locals say the get some awesome looking sky quite often up there at night with the midnight sun.

I rolled on down the road and took a side trip to here and then further on to Keno City.

I took the back way from Mayo to Keno City and found it to be rutted up, and the road was shrouded by vegetation offering no good views.

I took a ride up to the signpost lookout before getting my camping spot.

I went back down into the campground and set up my tent.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #54
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Keno City

I walked up into town to check out the museum and maybe talk to some locals at the snack bar.

Rokon Trailbreaker. Sitting in a museum up in Keno...
Actually walking around the town had a museum feel to it.

So i spoke to some French tourist /hiker types and they told me if I take the road up to the signpost hill but veer off of it at one of the lower switchbacks onto an old road, I can go see the abandonded mines.Theres a few washouts and rough spots but you should make it ok.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #55
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,404
Battery's going dry on KLR's is a common thing.
Keep it full and should be ok.
It is also a good idea to check the oil on a KLR everytime you gas up.
Great bikes . If you keep an eye on them they will not let you down!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #56
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Old 700 mine

I found the turnoff, this was the next morning so I had all my gear loaded back on and was climbing up the rough road.It had some deep ruts full of water, and also some rough washout areas with rubble rock here and there.

Going to old abandonded places is a part of adventure riding I like.

Down below you can see the road that leads up to here.Once I got to the top I could see it connects to the signpost road, and it would have been easier to ride from the top down.(But sometimes going downhill into rough stuff can lead you into a jackpot) I never took photos of the rough spots but the VStrom/GS type bikes would struggle doing it.Beleive me.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #57
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Goldwing crash!

I left there and rode,rode,down the road.Thoughts swirling in the head the hum of the tires on the chipseal eating them away.What hungry roads up north! The whistle of the wind in the helmet, earplugs keep it from whistling right through.....

I see the flashing cop lights.No ambulance yet. Riders laying in the ditch.I stop next to some other Goldwings.They were returning from a rally in Whitehorse going north to Dawson.The bike was heavily loaded,carrying a passenger and pulling a huge trailer.From my assessment: they came over a small crest of a hill, hit a dip and went into a speed wobble crossing the centerline and hitting the ditch on the opposite side of the highway.The people were alive,and once the paramedics stabalized them, I helped load them into the ambulance.
I attempted the Campbell Hwy again and it was so wet(thus no photos) I actually went up about 30 km and was totally covered in grey greasy mud.I lost control of the motorcycle twice.I was not liking it and turned around and went to Whitehorse.I went for sauna at the Olympic Complex and then the campground had a big party amongst the French people there celebrating St John Baptiste? or something like that.Guitars and Harmonica.

Ok so now its time to knock off some more good riding, with a side detour around Carcross ...

A scenic lake along the way...

another....
Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #58
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Stewart -Cassier Hwy 37

I turned south and was into BC hoping to camp at Boya Lake Provincial Park.It was said to be one of the warmest lakes in northern British Columbia, suitable for swimming.It turned wet and cool as soon as I got onto the 37 hwy and would remain that way for 2 days.I got to Boya lake early so I kept going further. I stopped at Jade city for some free coffee that was offered to lure people in to buy the cool Jade stuff that was made from locally mined Jade. I bought a can of soup, and motored on. Earlier I had quizzed on of the flag persons at a construction zone about good campsites and was turned on to this nice spot at Simmons lake.I made a fire and put my can of soup on to heat up.I could see fish jumping but was unable to catch one.This is free camping here.Big piles of bear crap on the highway just where you turn in....be brave and set up......

There is a nice stream flowing beside here with good water.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #59
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,868
This is a wonderful story.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #60
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Dempster Gpx

Ron, I seem to have trouble attatching Gpx files.Unable to share the data.One of the great things about ADVRider is the knowledge base here and I like to contribute as I receive so much from here. Ron ZZr Maybe you can get the file posted if i email it to you.