User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #91
markup
markdown occasionally too

Oddometer: 110
Super

Great report Hekto, nice pictures, true adventure.

Are you running the same rubber for the entire trip and how's it standing up?

Thanks,
M
markup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #92
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by markup
Great report Hekto, nice pictures, true adventure.

Are you running the same rubber for the entire trip and how's it standing up?

Thanks,
M
See post #16 page 2 ( new tires installed in Dawson)
Old 07-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #93
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,807
A great report Kari. A fishing pole, a frying pan and a KLR.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #94
bretoneer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Thanks for sharing!

An incredible ride report - great writing, great photos, great narrative. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #95
drmracni
Montenegro

Oddometer: 275
thanks!
drmracni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #96
PHud
dame los tacos

Oddometer: 67
Very cool stuff. It looks like you are having a great time
PHud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #97
vegasdesertdweller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Great report. I am GREEN with envy. Looks like a great way to spend a few (Alot) weeks meeting people that cross paths with you. Once again, a fascinating read!
Karma=Good
vegasdesertdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:28 AM   #98
trialsntribulations
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Thanks Karri for the fabulous report. Looks like a perfect trip - thanks for taking time to share; Great stuff!
trialsntribulations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #99
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,563
Your Ride Report

Karri, so now that you have done this, what's next, running for Mayor in Atikokan.

Great report, however I do have questions and comments !

1. Don't you wish you had some way of getting all thet great junk you saw along the trip back home ?

2. Did you find any Gold at the mines ? Are you going to offer mine tours there next year ?

3. The Balance Rock, are you pushing it over or holding it up ?

4. No Tell Motel....Nice, I thought for second you brought you bike righ into a hotel room...... you did !!

5. NOW, how many of those fish you ate were or will be on the endangered spicies list ? Did you find out what you were actually eating ? I only recognized the Artic Grayling......

Aagin, great ride report.....

Hope you can join us for the Areostich Rally
Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #100
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsntribulations
Thanks Kari for the fabulous report. Looks like a perfect trip - thanks for taking time to share; Great stuff!
It does take time to share. Had'nt had much last few days. I like to contribute, as I get so much from here. I was gonna add a bunch more, but Smuggy is down at the moment...........
Old 07-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #101
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

continued

I had first seen this KVR on ADVRider , and had to include some of it while going through the area .Its late in the day when I first get on it , but it doesn’t matter how far I go as I have everything I need with me on the bike. I passed several nice campsites and keep going. A really nice looking twisty paved road runs along part of the KVR, and at times I am tempted to ride some of it. The rough going in places allows my gas can that I had been carrying since the Dempster fly off the bike at some point. So I ride about 30 km of the KVR and when I hit Otter Lake and see the great spot I decide to stop for the night.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #102
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

The next day I continue on wondering where these tunnels are. Soon enough I go through the first one. I think I saw an interpretive sign also that showed what’s up ahead. I was a bit concerned about riding on a route that had been signed in such a way that I felt motorcycles were prohibited.

I went through the next tunnel and got onto the pavement at Princeton and then Summerland road. The rail line can be kinda slow going on a loaded bike in places and when I got onto Summerland road and then saw the gates that I would need to open and close to access the rail(farmland), the nice road sucked me in and I cruised on it for quite a ways. What a great road! I feel that the Coldwater road and Brookmere would have been equally great had I not been on the rail there, but I think I missed going through one of the tunnels by skipping that chunk of KVR. I went past Chain Lake, Osprey Lake, and at some point the road turned to hard-pack dirt and I got back on the KVR, went over some cool bridges before rolling into Summerland. I hit the Tim Hortons for coffee and looked at my map. The KVR was cool, some parts are rough, some are great scenery, and I enjoyed riding the parts that I hit. Lotsa campsites along the way too. Made it without being busted for riding a motorcycle on it.

So here I am bombing along Okanagan Lake going north, thinking this is cool. I go from a town, travel through the boonies and camp out, then pop out on the other side and hit the pavement and hit civilization and Tim Hortons coffee, and now am scenic slab riding up to a big metro area. What a great bike, I am seeing a lot of the stuff the road bikes and RV crowd is seeing, but then seeing so much more and at the same time doing it way way cheaper. Fuel , food, accommodations. Got’er beat all the way…..

Once I get up near Peachland etc, I find a nice area along the waterfront and fill up my water jugs, stop for a bit. Shoulda took more pics.

So I read on the Site that Westside road is a good one. No kidding! I really liked motoring along here going north. I stopped halfway for some lunch with the other riders who were out .Can't eat noodles and tuna all a time.

Saw a lotta bikes and sportscars on that road. I pull into Kelowna for some stove fuel and what-not. I just missed the classic bike show and talk to some of the attendees. Nice H2, I used to have a couple of them….

I connect from Vernon over to #6 and down to Fauquier and ride the boat across. Its getting near suppertime as I roll into Nakusp for fuel and some local knowledge. The St.Leons hot springs are no longer open to the public according to the gas attendant.

The Halfway springs are nice though, I get some directions and motor on north. I find some vehicles parked on a pull out about 13 km in from the pavement. I ride down the steep hill and find a spot for the tent and in a short while go for a soak in the hot springs. Another perfect day. A bit of off-highway stuff, some super pavement, a big Quesadilla for lunch with the Harley riders, pick up supplies and end the day soaking in the springs and free camping. Not bad at all.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #103
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
I'm sorry for the dumb question, but, where were the last couple of posts written about? I lost you at Graham Island.

Great report! Can't wait for more.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #104
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
I'm sorry for the dumb question, but, where were the last couple of posts written about? I lost you at Graham Island.

Great report! Can't wait for more.
I never took enough photos to do a really good Ride Report that covers every detail and place.Some of the RR has big chunks of the actual ride missing. But I tried to include some of the highway #'s so if you are able to look at a map of BC you can see where I was. People familiar with the area will know exactly where I went through. The last few posts were about the Kettle Valley railroad that goes from Merrit BC down to Princeton, and from there over to Summerland just north of Penticton.I guess I failed to mention the towns surrounding that area....hope that clarifies it. Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #105
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

In the morning I go for a pre ride therapeutic soak. What the hell. I load all the crap back on the KLR and the bike winds over r e a l s l o w , backfires a few times and fails to start. Damn battery. I crank some more and on the fourth attempt it fires! I go north and catch 31 which becomes hard pack dirt and head back south around Trout Lake. I stop and check out the vintage pumps. Again, more great riding , no semi’s- no RV’s.

Vintage Gas Pumps at Trout Lake

Trout Lake on hwy 31 going south

View looking back north....before crossing the Lardeau River....

This is great, climbing up high along the lake, I rode into a few side roads just to see if I could waypoint a few campsites and there were some great ones but they were occupied and for long term stays by the looks of it. I follow the Lardeau River down past meadow creek and run the great pavement down to Kaslo. More supreme riding.( I met a few bikes on this road.)

Arriving in Kaslo......