Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 05:51 AM   #121
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart At Play
Great report Kari, as always. But tell us more about the two French girls and the hot springs....or do I have to stop in at chez Hekto for details?
sorry no pics.-- stop by if your in the area....
Old 07-22-2008, 05:54 AM   #122
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader
Karri, so now that you have done this, what's next, running for Mayor in Atikokan.

Great report, however I do have questions and comments !

1. Don't you wish you had some way of getting all thet great junk you saw along the trip back home ?

2. Did you find any Gold at the mines ? Are you going to offer mine tours there next year ?

3. The Balance Rock, are you pushing it over or holding it up ?

4. No Tell Motel....Nice, I thought for second you brought you bike righ into a hotel room...... you did !!

5. NOW, how many of those fish you ate were or will be on the endangered spicies list ? Did you find out what you were actually eating ? I only recognized the Artic Grayling......

Aagin, great ride report.....

Hope you can join us for the Areostich Rally

The Grayling were the only fish I caught and ate.The others were released.I was hoping for a Salmon or something.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:03 AM   #123
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

?

I considered turning around but I really did not want to ride the rubble road again. I walked through the water and checked it out. It was rough and the water was maybe a foot deep in places but I would be going downstream. If I had to come back up it would be harder. I walked back to the bike after having decided I could do the parts that I had seen. Hopefully there is no worse, and I also knew I could some how return the way I came, even if I had to carry my gear through first and then ride the bike up without the luggage.
I had to climb over one more barricade which was a large mound of dirt with one side eroded by the water. When I looked back I could see the road closed signs and the pickup tracks and knew I was through the bad stuff. I got onto a much better road and was able to get out of the lower gears.

My opinion is “ you may be riding, but real adventure riding involves the possibility of having to turn around and backtrack because the route was impassable” I ventured onwards.

I went through more great backcountry, and arrived at the Lussier HotSprings. It was early and nobody was there.

This is a really good place.The pools have hardly any sulfur odor and are nice and hot!

View from the road...then zoomed in....

And down at the pools.....

These are free by the way.There is a small donation box at the top of the trail.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 AM   #124
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Back onto the HWY

I took the easy road out to hwy 93 near Canal Flats. This is a very good gravel road and about 15km to the springs. A road bike could do it no problem. I had done a loop of several hundred KM’s back here knowing there was a simple way to get here.

I spend my evenings, nights and mornings in the boonies. The daytime I enjoy all the amenities of civilization.

I stopped on my way north and had to decide if I was going to ride through Yoho or Kootenay. I chose to run up to Golden, then go through Yoho. I took the side trip into Takakkawa Falls. It was great.

The switchbacks going to the Falls

Old 07-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #125
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Bow River

I Got to Lake Louise and got on the Bow River Parkway, the speeds were slower but the ride was also a good one. At times the road splits into two, and you ride one lane through some nice winding stuff and then rejoin the other lane.

It began to threaten rain, but if I kept moving I was able to stay ahead of it. I was going to stop at Banff, but for the rain coming kept motoring on. After I popped out of the mountains it felt like the ride was over. And it kinda was, I had 2 hard days of KLR prairie cruising ahead of me. It’s ok I have highway pegs and a big windsheild, bring it on. I camped east of Calgary somewhere. Time to pay for campin again.

NEXT DAY....

Next day was more droning along, I coulda done the back roads heading east but I was concerned about my rear tire wear, and stayed on #1 the whole way. Then I got as far as Regina and found out about the Tornado watch issued by Environment Canada. I hung back in the city around 3 in the afternoon, waiting, I could see the massive anvil mushroom cloud waiting for me. I took this photo much later......not as threatening....

After a few hours of this I got back on the bike and went for it. I was able to go another 100 km or so and then decided to stop in a small town campground, and that night the electrical storm was so crazy I actually put my helmet on while inside the tent. If it got any worse I would go into the concrete building at the campground. The storm finally passed and I got some sleep.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:32 AM   #126
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Back

After coming out of the mountains I had a strong urge to get going back to Ontario.It was a great ride. Living off the bike basically, and seeing this great country at a nice relaxed pace, for the most part.I tried to ride at $55 to $65 per day including fuel, food and accomadations.I did it for some sections of the trip, some where actually less. Some days were $65 in fuel alone!I wish I took more photos, so much of the trip is just in my memory only. I don't know what else to say....amazing ride....eh?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #127
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,893
A great ride and pretty darned good report, too.

I'm having a good summer and thinking about Huachinera. Maybe we'll get together in Mexico again.

I'm still in training, but I wanna be a Hektoglider someday.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #128
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,014
Good report, Kari...I think I'm gonna go out and give my KLR a big hug!

Nice day here, I'm going for a ride now...
Old 07-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #129
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Here is Hektogliders well used KLR, near the end of the ride....
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #130
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Ron, thanks again for the sprocket and also having the tire on stanby if I needed it. I was on a "high cloud" when I stopped at your place on my way home. It took about 3 days after I got home to descend.......
Old 07-22-2008, 07:46 AM   #131
ZZR_Ron
Underground

You're most welcome Kari...it's always nice to know you have some kind of backup, in case things go wrong on the road!

Hoping for the same kind of feeling when we get back from riding the Mississippi River in September!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #132
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Looking like a KLR should!

I've been lurking and reading and dreaming. What a great trip. That "river road" picture was intimidating!

Thanks very much for sharing.

J
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #133
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,970
Great ride report, Kari - I'll do my own in the fall when I have more time.

You put the rest of us to shame! Thanks for the memories, and hope to see you out on the road again some day...

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #134
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Amazing trip! Thanks for sharing!

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #135
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
Lost Opportunity

Damn....I wish I had known you were planning this trip!!!

I have a willing KLR, and almost 10 weeks vacation saved up.....I would have seriously tried to accompany you on this trip!!!!!! If I had known about it??

BTW I've been touring ADV rider for awhile now......this report of yours is great.....one of the best I've read!!!!
I regret.....I missed out on a fantastic Tour

Anyone else thinking of a similar ride that will include the North and BC??? I'm IN......Forward your ideas and plans!!!

kl Richard screwed with this post 07-22-2008 at 05:27 PM
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote