Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
BrittC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Question 1997 KTM 620 ADV - First Model Year?

Pardon me if this has been beaten to death (it probably has in the huge number of KTM posts). While on vacation I've tried to read as many of the 620/640 threads as I can, but seeing as how I'm ignorant of the KTM world, I want to get my facts straight before I make a move on a new bike.

I have the opportunity to trade my 2007 KLR650 with 3,000 miles on it, for a 1997 620 Adventure with 1,700 miles on it. The current owner bought it a year ago and as a new business owner he simply does not have time to devote to tuning it up and making it a daily rider. He wants something turn-key and low maintenance.

I've spent some time farkling my KLR to make it a good daily rider and a decent dirt/sand/gravel road bike. But it leaves me wanting more when I get off pavement. More power. Less weight, Better suspension and handling.

My research leads me to believe that 1997 was the first year for the 620 Adventure? I've read about the potential bearing issues. Are there other issues to be aware of on an early production 620? Should I just avoid it?

This bike has a sidestand and no centerstand. After my research yesterday (on a cell phone via Tapatalk, so forgive me) I expected it to have a centerstand with no sidestand.

And what's the deal with the dual Supertrapp mufflers? They seem like they'd take the brunt of a fall, and I can't decide if I like how they look. I read of one inmate who converted to a single underseat muffler but it took a lot of parts, time, and money to make it happen. Maybe it's worth me selling the KLR and looking for a newer 640?

Any good estimates of what this bike is worth?

The current owner is an hour away so making a trade is pretty convenient. I stopped today to check it out and take these pictures. It's dusty and needs a good cleaning and tuneup but it seems to be in really good shape.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help educate me so that I make a good decision here!

http://britt-motorcycling.blogspot.com
BrittC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,647
the low exhaust was just the way they were made,,, remember it was built specifically for dakar. you can swap the low for a later year high exh.

unless this bike has the dellorto carb nothing significant changed until 03, so if you sold yours to buy one it should be 03 or newer, otherwise do the trade and enjoy a low mileage early adv.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,522
It should have the Del Orto carb, and thats a good thing. It's better carb than the diaphragm carb that came in the later models. Also it should have the same cam as the Rallye from that era. Buy a used subframe and exhaust from a pre-2000 model Estart bike. Or if you get a later model subframe you will need the newer taillight, seat, and plastic but it will fit your tank.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
12Bong13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Wow that is nice bike!
12Bong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,765
Later models but before '02 has USD forks. They were not typically better, just different. The forks on the machine you are looking at have a stellar rep.

The instruments on your machine are not as nice or maybe as reliable as later years, also the ignition may be different?

SEM rather than Kokosan?, not sure.
Not sure about your alternator either.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 AM   #6
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 426
That looks pristine and probably quite rare now, the sort of bike for a collector to own. Dont mod it. My2c.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:58 AM   #7
BrittC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm really interested in this bike and I believe it has the potential to be an interesting ownership experience - hopefully in the same positive way my Caponord experience has been so far! My KLR is capable and reliable, but a bit boring to own and ride (which can be a good thing to someone who wants to simply fill the tank and ride).

If I go with this 620, it'll obviously need a full fluid and air filter swap. I'll check things like fuel and vacuum lines. The tires look like they have less than 30 miles on them but I don't know how old they are so they might need replacing. The chain does not look perfect, but it's not bad and I might be able to soak it, clean it, and get some use out of it.

Would the factory chain have a clip type master link? This bike does.

Do I need to think about preemptively changing the main shaft bearing or cam shaft bearings on a 1,700 mile 620?

In the end I wonder, once gone over can I trust this early model 620 to be reliable?
Old 08-19-2014, 04:00 AM   #8
BrittC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
That looks pristine and probably quite rare now, the sort of bike for a collector to own. Dont mod it. My2c.
If I spent a weekend detailing it, I think it would look dang close to showroom new. Any thoughts on what a collector would pay for it? I don't know anything about these bikes...
Old 08-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Later models but before '02 has USD forks. They were not typically better, just different. The forks on the machine you are looking at have a stellar rep.

The instruments on your machine are not as nice or maybe as reliable as later years, also the ignition may be different?

SEM rather than Kokosan?, not sure.
Not sure about your alternator either.

bill
No, Kokosan. Same as other years. Different wiring harness than any other 620/640 that I know of. You're right about the 50's, great forks if they are maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittC View Post

In the end I wonder, once gone over can I trust this early model 620 to be reliable?
The weak spot on this bike, in my experience is the wiring harness. With the condition of this bike I wouldn't be worried about it, but I would pop off the tank and fairing and have a look around. Replace all the fluids (shock and fork as well), replace the vac lines to the fuel pump, make sure the fuel system is clean. Do all this and it should be a reliable bike.

This thread will have alot more info on your E/GS-E
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111682
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:

Great looking bike! If you buy it and want to get rid of that sidestand, shoot me a message.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,647
make one, i think i have all of $7 and half an hour in this
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM   #12
BrittC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sso far I haven't learned anything to scare me away from this bike, so I'm working on plans to make the trade with the owner. Hopefully I'll have it in my garage after I do the TWAT ride over Labor Day weekend on the KLR. I don't want to cancel on my riding buddy, and I don't want my test ride on this KTM to be that kind of distance - especially with so little time to go through the bike and make sure it's solid. It hasn't been ridden in 9 months.

Thanks for the feedback so far - keep it coming if you have more for me!
Old Today, 02:32 PM   #13
BrittC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Can anyone confirm the following tire sizes are accurate for the 1997 620 ADV?

Front tyre size 90/90 x 21
Rear tyre size 140/80 x 18

Looks like this trade is happening and even though the tires show essentially no wear, I may need to replace them due to age...
Old Today, 03:20 PM   #14
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Can anyone confirm the following tire sizes are accurate for the 1997 620 ADV?

Front tyre size 90/90 x 21
Rear tyre size 140/80 x 18

Looks like this trade is happening and even though the tires show essentially no wear, I may need to replace them due to age...
Those are correct, at least for a '99 and I can't imagine they changed them.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote