User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 07:09 AM   #1
robbyzg OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
640 adventure, most confusing engine problem

Went for a Saturday ride with friends, 30 miles more or less,bike behavs normal all the time.
decided to stop by friends that have a motocross track to c them practice, come to the parking area and shuting bike of,nothing weird!after more or less half an hour time to go,turn the key press starter;just clact sound of starter engage, engine doesn't budge a milimieter!
thinking there is not enough power to push through tdc pulling de compression lever and trying to kick it,doesn't move a bit!trying to push it to release a bit,back and forward, nothing, engine turns to tdc back and forward and can't go through it,luckily we didn't try to force it as we saw later.asked guys to put a bike on a trailer with there machines and bring it back to tow to the shop to my mechanic! We check starter in the shop,everything seems fine;next step taking cylinder Head apart to c what is causing the problem!we find nut m12 in the combustion chamber on top of the piston that doesn't belong there obviously! luckily as I said before we didn't try to force it so no damage was done to the engine, everything is like new but no one know from where is it and how it got there!puzzled
robbyzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:28 AM   #2
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,849
Old Today, 07:38 AM   #3
robbyzg OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Exactly, if someone would tell me I wouldn't believe him!
it seems that only logical explanation is that it came through carb some how, but no idea how or from where,on the air box there is no nut like that!
Old Today, 09:05 AM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyzg View Post
Exactly, if someone would tell me I wouldn't believe him!
it seems that only logical explanation is that it came through carb some how, but no idea how or from where,on the air box there is no nut like that!
When I did the first oil change on my 640 almost 11 yrs back I found the spin on filter very hard to turn when removing it.... Once I got it off I looked inside it and found an m-8 nut inside that was jamming against the mounting threads.... Phoned the dealer and talked it over and it was decided that because the oil lines are too small to pass a nut like that it must have been there from the factory... The explanation is that they dropped the nut into the filter upon assembly and put her together that way... They agreed to warranty the engine should it have an oil restriction failure in its future...

M-12 is a big nut, I can't even recall one on the bike, m-16 on the flywheel and other shafts... Perhaps the nut dropped into the air filter during the cleaning process and went unnoticed.. Still though it would be a tight squeeze to get through the valves...

gunnerbuck screwed with this post Today at 12:13 PM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:17 AM   #5
robbyzg OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
When I did the first oil change on my 640 almost 11 yrs back I found the spin on filter very hard to turn when removing it.... Once I got it off I looked inside it and found an m-8 but inside that was jamming against the mounting threads.... Phoned the dealer and talked it over and it was decided that because the oil lines are too small to pass a nut like that it must have been there from the factory... The explanation is that they dropped the nut into the filter upon assembly and put her together that way... They agreed to warranty the engine should it have an oil restriction failure in its future...

M-12 is a big but, I can't even recall one on the bike, m-16 on the flywheel and other shafts... Perhaps the nut dropped into the air filter during the cleaning process and went unnoticed.. Still though it would be a tight squeeze to get through the valves...
I don't know how all of this happend but I know that 5 of us could not believe it last night when mechanic opened it,it was WTF moment !
I was only so lucky that as it seems now,nut dropped in, in the moment when I shut down bike and nothing was damaged as 1 min before that I was running 100 mph!
Old Today, 01:46 PM   #6
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 320
Do you mean an M12 or a nut that takes a 12mm wrench? An M12 is 18mm across the flats - that's huge. The closest to a 12mm wrench is M8 which is 13mm (there is no 12mm):

http://www.protoindustrial.com/en/su...aspx?chart=419

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, honest, just trying to envision how an M12 could get in there!

Glad you found it when you did...

DD

2011 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, Red
2008 DL1000 VStrom , Black - SOLD
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:27 PM   #7
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,805
That is bizarre. Sounds like the Twilight Zone - did you happen to see Rod Sterling standing in the corner, wearing that suit, smoking a cigarette?

You're lucky it didn't cause any damage.
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #8
robbyzg OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmodab View Post
nut that takes a 12mm wrench?
Sorry I wasn't specific enough,this!^
Old Today, 02:43 PM   #9
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,769
early april fools
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:06 PM   #10
robbyzg OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
That is bizarre. Sounds like the Twilight Zone - did you happen to see Rod Sterling standing in the corner, wearing that suit, smoking a cigarette?

You're lucky it didn't cause any damage.
Man,don't know what to say,people initially don't believe until my two friends that were next to me don't confirm as they were next to me all the time!mechanic initially thought that some one did it on purpose to me but when I told him that no one has access to it at home as its under lock and out I don't leave it parked unattended ;he told me that he doesn't have reasonable explanation how this happened!
Old Today, 08:31 PM   #11
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 5,147
Who removed the spark plug the most recent time?

Do you have a snorkle on the air box?

Since it didn't jam the valve open I think it came in through the plug hole.

That or a cat or aliens.

Or miss witch.

I sucked an 8 mm bolt through the air box on my BMW twin but it jammed the intake valve open. The old airhead went 500 miles on one cylinder, about half of that with a passenger and luggage.
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post Today at 08:41 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:44 PM   #12
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,661
No way the engine would run with that in there. An M8 nut would cause instant and catastrophic damage.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote