Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #15316
Mhassic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Second dumb Question, why is there a locking ring? Can it go up to?
Mhassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #15317
shanekfalcon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Hi everyone,

A few pages back I raised a question about my tacho and the dash light on the tacho side. I was - and still am- planning to replace them with a Vapour in the future. Anyhow today I took the advice of a few inmates and took apart the keylock wiring and the dash. Found a few broken wires and blown bulb. Replace both bulbs as the other looked a bit black and properly re-soldered all wires, adding 12 cms length to make it easier to access. Properly re-insulated, not the shoddy job I had done on other parts in the past.

Looks neat, nice and proper and tacho and dashlights all work nicely.

So thanks everyone for the ongoing advice and support.
shanekfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #15318
vipersvcd
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Please Help me Lower My New DR800s BIG

Hi

I am a new member to the DR800s BIG family ,
abot 10 years ago I had EN500 , but now I wanted a dual sport bike,
I fell in love with the DR800 and I bought one , its 96 and in very good condition , I just have one issue , its a bit too high for me , I am 1.74 and I would have felt better if it was 3-4cm lower and I could place my legs firmer on the ground ,
I am really new to this so any technical talk please take it down to lower level.
What should I buy and from where , direct link to product will help to get the level lower the best way and not lose stabilty , I am no extreame rider.

vipersvcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:11 AM   #15319
Tornero
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanguronte View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-vQ76utOOs
Espero terminar pronto mi proyecto DR BIG Oxígeno (O2)
Hola. Soy Tornero o Ivan08840 en el foro de la DR Big Español :)
Buen cacharro te estás montando
Tornero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #15320
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Viper , If it was me, I would take some preload of the springs, say unwind the tension of the back spring by 3mm, and cut some of the tube spacers on the front so it had no preload at all and also get the seat foam cut 20mm and put the cover back on.
you would get between 30 to 40mm lower at least without upsetting to much,but it means you loose say 25mm of travel for the larger bumps, holes etc.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #15321
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipersvcd View Post
Hi

I am a new member to the DR800s BIG family ,
I fell in love with the DR800 and I bought one , its 96 and in very good condition , I just have one issue , its a bit too high for me , I am 1.74 and I would have felt better if it was 3-4cm lower and I could place my legs firmer on the ground ,
I had the same problem with both my 750 and 800 so I had a new link made up for the rear suspension and removered the spacers (50mm) from the top of the fork tubes. I just sold my 800 and the bloke that bought it may be interested in selling it. Even with Postage from Australia it would probably be cheaper than having one made up.
See attached photo's.

Measurements speak for themselves.

Made up link is on the right and was about 14mm longer than the standard link.

Sitting on my 800 before lowering it.

Sitting on the 750 after lowering it and before restoration.

Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #15322
koko1981
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c...&v=dWeETGYjnZk
koko1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #15323
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko1981 View Post

Looks pretty easy to start well done.

I am waiting for my 800 crank to return from getting it rebuilt, new ones are unobtainable and would have been expensive.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:19 AM   #15324
wundis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko1981 View Post
Really nice job. I wish my big had a kickstarter :/, or the conversion would be simplified to covery my DYI skills.
wundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #15325
shanekfalcon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Levers and perches

Hi everyone,

Last night re-assembled the painted handlebars, risers, handguard mounts etc and pleased with the result. A few scratches will need touching up but overall, OK.

Looking at the levers I wouldn't mind changing the brake and clutch lever to shorty/3 finger levers. I would also really like to change the decompressor lever and perch and clutch lever and perch to units that have two bolts holding them on in lieu of one. Any recommendations on brands, shops, fitting etc. My bike is a 1990 SR42 and so has a switch built into mthe decomp lever/perch.
shanekfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #15326
mleikarnes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Hey!

I have a slight problem, my SR41 seems to have a 525 chain, my chain was completely shot, so i tossed it before i had a chance to see what size it was... In the manual it says 520 116 link, so thats what i bought, but it seems to be a 525 or a 530 now, some links fit, then they wont lay correctly, as if the links are to long! I'm trying to measure which chain it is on my sprockets, but it's a bit harder than i thought. I have a 7,4mm wide sprocket, and 520 has 6,4mm wide sprockets, and 525 has 7,9mm, and 530 9,4mm, so i kinda figure it's a 525, but thats not usual to have on a DR Big, maybe the guy that had it before me bought DR650 sprockets....

http://www.dansmc.com/chainspecs.jpg
mleikarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:53 AM   #15327
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekfalcon View Post
Hi everyone,

Last night re-assembled the painted handlebars, risers, handguard mounts etc and pleased with the result. A few scratches will need touching up but overall, OK.

Looking at the levers I wouldn't mind changing the brake and clutch lever to shorty/3 finger levers. I would also really like to change the decompressor lever and perch and clutch lever and perch to units that have two bolts holding them on in lieu of one. Any recommendations on brands, shops, fitting etc. My bike is a 1990 SR42 and so has a switch built into mthe decomp lever/perch.
Shane , Procycle the dr 650 crowd in California have adjustable levers that fit our perches and flick forwaward for when whearing thick gloves in winter.
As for changing the decompressor perch don,t unless you can find one with the same distance recess for the cable.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #15328
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hello mleikarnes,
you should have a go at talking to Stefan Hessler (Stefan Rallye Big) at www.dr-big-shop.de
He'll be able to tell you which sizes are important and how to look at and how to judge them. I usually change chain and sprockets at a time, only once put a new chain on old sprockets (with bad result, very much and fast wear of the chain!). So I alway buy complete kits and up to this day I never had problems with different sizes of chain and sprockets.
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 02-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #15329
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Sorry, it's me once more ...
I just re-read your statement. What you describe are the usual signs of wear of chain and sprockets. A chain never wears 'regular', you'll always find parts that do look like nearly new and others, that do look very worn. Adjusting an elder combination of chain and sprockets you'll put it to the right amount of slack at one point, turn the wheel over just a bit and find a chain that's overtightened or fully out of adjustment with lots of slack. If you offer a new chain to these old sprockets, this 'feeling' will get even more intensive. Make sure what's the size of your new chain and get yourself some fitting sprockets from Stefan. I'm pretty sure, that the sizes of chains or sprockets are interchangable between the different models of Suzuki's DR Big! And Stefan will know! So you'll avoid loosing more money by choosing wrong sprockets.
More regards to Norway, most beloved holiday-site of my wife Iris, Bambi
---
I haven't been to your beautiful country up to this time. I do know a bit about it looking at Iris' photos. Because of a pack of huskies (up to 7 dogs for some years), Iris and me never went for holidays together. So, I went to the Isle of Man (for the Manx Grand Prix) with the same friends who accompiened her to Norway the other year(s). In the meantime, there are just 2 huskies left and we're looking forward to holidays spent together. I might show her the Isle of Man and she'll introduce Norway to me ... or me to Norway?
Old 02-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #15330
mleikarnes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hello mleikarnes,
you should have a go at talking to Stefan Hessler (Stefan Rallye Big) at www.dr-big-shop.de
He'll be able to tell you which sizes are important and how to look at and how to judge them. I usually change chain and sprockets at a time, only once put a new chain on old sprockets (with bad result, very much and fast wear of the chain!). So I alway buy complete kits and up to this day I never had problems with different sizes of chain and sprockets.
Kind regards, Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Sorry, it's me once more ...
I just re-read your statement. What you describe are the usual signs of wear of chain and sprockets. A chain never wears 'regular', you'll always find parts that do look like nearly new and others, that do look very worn. Adjusting an elder combination of chain and sprockets you'll put it to the right amount of slack at one point, turn the wheel over just a bit and find a chain that's overtightened or fully out of adjustment with lots of slack. If you offer a new chain to these old sprockets, this 'feeling' will get even more intensive. Make sure what's the size of your new chain and get yourself some fitting sprockets from Stefan. I'm pretty sure, that the sizes of chains or sprockets are interchangable between the different models of Suzuki's DR Big! And Stefan will know! So you'll avoid loosing more money by choosing wrong sprockets.
More regards to Norway, most beloved holiday-site of my wife Iris, Bambi
---
I haven't been to your beautiful country up to this time. I do know a bit about it looking at Iris' photos. Because of a pack of huskies (up to 7 dogs for some years), Iris and me never went for holidays together. So, I went to the Isle of Man (for the Manx Grand Prix) with the same friends who accompiened her to Norway the other year(s). In the meantime, there are just 2 huskies left and we're looking forward to holidays spent together. I might show her the Isle of Man and she'll introduce Norway to me ... or me to Norway?

Hey there!
I kinda figured out it's a 525 chain, all the 520 chains I have aint wide enough to fit on the sprockets. I dont have time to order a new set... Going to Krystall Rally in two weeks, and I'm so bored by driving a car... so monday I'm going to buy a 525 and check how it'll work... my new 520 chains fitted directly to a used 520 sprocket from another bike...
But in spring when all winter and salty roads are done for the year, I'll get a new set!

Norway is definitivly a place to visit! Nice roads all over the country, I live on the westcoast right by the Atlantic Road, Trollstigen and Aursjoevegen. I drive my motorbikes year round! I've had downtime since Christmas due to starting problems on the DR and no other bikes with studded tyres. If you check out my youtube channel there is quite a bit videos from Norway, much gravel and twisty roads! The DR has the exact right amount of grunt for the roads here in Norway I think! I can oink you to my Norwegian "blog" I have with google translate for some pictures! Just gotta get on my computer, currenttly on an annual meeting in the local scouting organization, I've been a member for 12 years now, great fun!

Yesterday I also fitted more mudguards to extend the rear inner "fender"
I've been buggered with soaking wet fuses and electronics due to some pretty soggy weather...

Gotten it all back together!

In the garage we also build bikes;
BMW K1100 to be a cafe racer with sidecar in the future!

Our last build on Krystall Rally, it's sold now though...

My other bike on Krystall Rally last year; Suzuki GS500E cafe racer, the DR is going to feel down too minus 30 degrees celsius this year! We'll see how it does starting then....

Edit; Found some internet flowing around, so i can add the links now!
Norwegian "blog"
http://translate.google.no/translate...3D5430&act=url

BMW K1100 build thread;
http://www.k100-forum.com/t7289-bmw-...0-leikarnes-mc

BMW K1100 with sidecar build thread;
http://www.k100-forum.com/t7281-buil...spension#85442

YouTube channel;
http://www.youtube.com/user/varadero1993

I have a lot more pictures! So I'll hook you up with more! (gotta get you to come up here to check out Norway! )

Sent from my Galaxy S3
-84/-96 BMW K100/K1100 under rebuilding to sidecar bike.

mleikarnes screwed with this post 02-01-2014 at 04:07 PM
mleikarnes is offline   Reply With Quote