Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 01:34 AM   #15991
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Ray when riding one they go like a big kwaka triple 750 2ooey but sound like Honda 4 , the first bike in the first link I posted the orange one does look a bit like this
well at least there is some orange .
Hey Rob...
What racks are those ? I've been looking at some Mosko ones which seem to have a similar backing plate.
Triumph looks the biz. except for the tyres which do look a bit schitzo (nice description Ladder) I would've liked to have test ridden one, but the local distributers didn't seem interested in selling me a new bike. I really liked the 900 motor in my old Trophy, but it'd been quite extensively moddified

While I'm here.... I still have a new genuine piston and rings for a Big, if someone wants it ?
ztaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:13 AM   #15992
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Gidday James, I gather you are talking about the large flat bits , I bought a small sheet of its called Tobi Tuff, or Toby Tough its just a bit flexable and about 4mm thick maybe 5 and it does not burn , easy to cut with a jig saw and easy to drill.
I used stainless with rubber inserts that's how they come P clips to hold it to the racks and countersunk screwheads and nylock nuts .
It is easy to make cut outs for the straps for soft bags where required and also knotch the top for keeping the straps in the right place that run across the seat.

Ray I put some Rox risers on it about 30mm up and 30mm back and it now has since the pic 15mm lower foot pegs, if the big out of 10 was 10 which they are also with risers , the trumpet now is only 9 for me .

Allso if any one is interested in the piston from James from memory its a standard one , correct me if I am wrong James ,anew barrel sleave can be bought from the states on Ebay or just google to find one .

Tobi Tuff is the bit on the bottom of stelleto shoes heels, I don,t wear them myself thanks .

robmoto screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 04:19 AM
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #15993
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hello guys,
have been away for a few days.
First a few words to the ones that are bothering with the dynamo and it's harness: contact Stefan at his www.dr-big-shop.de
You can also discuss your probs with him and make good use of his experience.
I myself spent a fun-weekend taking part in a 24 hour Mofa-Race off-road . Our team was formed by 5 riders (I was one of them), one mechanic and a very kind and nice line-up of supporters caring for us by helping us riders into or out of our riding-gear, making sure that we drank enough in the heat of the race and that we got something to eat. At last we finished 19 th of 36 teams although we had to spanner about 3 hours during the race. Taking that in account we could have finished 10th or so ...
In the meantime, the Mofa's taking it's revenge on me: my left knee and hip are aching. Reminds me of being 57 years old ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #15994
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Well done Bambi, its all about having a go , you are in the heat and we may get some snow above 600mts , and me and a few other blokes are camping this weekend luckily its further out west .
some pic,s to follow.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #15995
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Yepp, didn't realize that it's winter-time down-under now. Wish you a nice weekend!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 08-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #15996
kstklt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Greetings from a total noob. =)

hi guys!

Greeting from Malaysia! Really glad to finally find a place to meet DR.Big owners and experts from all over the world!

I got my 1990 SR42A since last November, but it is not in a very ideal condition, mainly with the electronics. Right now, it wouldn't start and I fried my new battery while trying to figure out what happened ... could it be something short circuited? How do I find out what went wrong?

Before that happened, there was some problem with the key switch, sometimes after I turn on the key switch, there is no power (battery is perfectly new), but if i push the cockpit (speedo and ordo panel) or turn the steering a few times, the power will be back on. It seems like it is caused by poor wiring connection somewhere, but I couldn't find out where it is even though I take off the entire front fairing.

Here's some picture of the bike during my last ride, after this the power system stops working ...

I really miss riding this monster, would really need you guys help to make it come back alive!

best regards,
Gunn
kstklt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #15997
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 338
Sounds like a broken wire at the back of the ignition barrel ! if you remove it and have a look i think you will find a loose connection good luck
spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #15998
kstklt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spen View Post
Sounds like a broken wire at the back of the ignition barrel ! if you remove it and have a look i think you will find a loose connection good luck
Thank you so much! I would go have a better look at the ignition barrel then! Thank You!

Should I just get a new ignition switch? Or is there any chance that it could be fixed by soldering the loose connection? I couldn't find any new ignition switch for DR800, but there are some OEM as well as after market ones for DR650, are they compatible?
Old 08-03-2014, 02:35 AM   #15999
shanekfalcon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstklt View Post
Thank you so much! I would go have a better look at the ignition barrel then! Thank You!

Should I just get a new ignition switch? Or is there any chance that it could be fixed by soldering the loose connection? I couldn't find any new ignition switch for DR800, but there are some OEM as well as after market ones for DR650, are they compatible?
I've had exactly the same problem. The first time it was just a loose wire on the bottom of the ignition barrel. However later on it was also the internals as well and I've just replaced it. The ignition barrel for the DR800 is fairly expensive and the same part for the TS125R fits but the cables are short and need lengthening.
shanekfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #16000
kstklt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekfalcon View Post
I've had exactly the same problem. The first time it was just a loose wire on the bottom of the ignition barrel. However later on it was also the internals as well and I've just replaced it. The ignition barrel for the DR800 is fairly expensive and the same part for the TS125R fits but the cables are short and need lengthening.
Hey that is a great piece of information sir! As I remember my local part shops did mentioned they still keep some TS125 parts! Thank you so much shanekfalcon!

Do you think the lossen connection can cause short circuit that could fry the battery?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #16001
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
Do you think the lossen connection can cause short circuit that could fry the battery?
What do you mean by "fry" the battery. Do you mean the battery overheated and melted or that all the water evaporated and the battery started smelling like sulfur? Or that the battery just lost charge?

Evaporating all the water is due to overcharging. A bad connection in the system (like in the ignition switch) will tell the voltage regulator that the battery is not getting enough voltage. Then the overcharge condition will occur.

Check all electrical connections but pay attention to those between the stator and the rectifier and the rectifier and the rest of the system.

The problem can occur anywhere and Big are noted for poor quality ignition/key switches that they vibrate to pieces over time. The problem can be simple at the base of the switch with wires coming off .... or ... complicated with poor connections inside the switch due to water/dirt/wear.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #16002
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I have a new DR650SE and am looking to add some kind of fairing. I have seen a few pics of other riders attaching the nose plastic from a DR BIG to the 650. Has anyone done this before that could offer me any advice? Also, anywhere I could buy the plastic would be great.

I had an NX650 that had a nice little fairing, and I feel like with a small fairing the DR650 would be the perfect bike. I already looked into the XF650 Freewind, which is closely related to the DR650, but the fairings would just be too much work to get to fit. Again any help on this subject would be very appreciated.
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #16003
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
I have seen a few pics of other riders attaching the nose plastic from a DR BIG to the 650.
Really?? post links to some of those photos.

But unfortunately, since the Big never came to the USA, Big plastic bits are "unobtanium" in the US. You'd have to check european eBay or other sources. Even then, it's still pretty rare.

Have you considered mounting the windscreen from the early BMW 650 Dakar to your front fairing. I have one on my DRZ 400 that uses the same piece. Happy with the result.

Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #16004
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstriffler View Post
I have a new DR650SE and am looking to add some kind of fairing. I have seen a few pics of other riders attaching the nose plastic from a DR BIG to the 650. Has anyone done this before that could offer me any advice? Also, anywhere I could buy the plastic would be great.

I had an NX650 that had a nice little fairing, and I feel like with a small fairing the DR650 would be the perfect bike. I already looked into the XF650 Freewind, which is closely related to the DR650, but the fairings would just be too much work to get to fit. Again any help on this subject would be very appreciated.
Try these guys.....
http://www.screensforbikes.com/shop/suzuki/dr-650/

or alternatively, make your own

I made this one pretty easily, I'll have a look and see if I can find an electronic version of the template I can email to you. If you decide to go that route.
ztaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #16005
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Its got the bling on now
Ah, nice! :)

Rob, just in case - I think it is best to look for something like Touratech tank bars to put on some protection to tank. I got those on mine - except that first batches were a bit (to say least) fiddly to fit because of measurement off on left side - now it supposed to be fixed - those are excellent quality and really do protect tank. They install separately from lower bars, so no interference with lower bars you installed.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote