ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 03:20 AM   #151
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,275
Wow, congratulations!

I bet 1 case of Hoegaarden beer that after you will install Wilbers kit and have first ride you will be amazed how much better bike will handle.

I was (amazed that's it) when did it to my past bikes
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #152
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
I might just pull the new one to bits and just replace half of the old one, that'd be a good scheme aye nordie
Don't be silly. It wouldn't fit.

Without a lot of work. You could bring it around and we could give it a go though
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #153
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman

800rider, as for taking on DR in twisties gimme good tarmac and I'll take my VTR1000 against my DR800 any time Let's not expect it to be more than it is - an excellent 50/50 bike in my opinion superior to many more recognized makes/models. And for tarmac it desperately need big wide 17 inch tyres like supercorsa, then we can realize it's excellent road manners into considerably fast bike. But on my 800 front slides WAY earlier than it does on my VTR, and low-down torque of VTR leaves no chance to DR. And my friend's GSXR K5 eats my VTR for breakfast. So...DR is good, but not that good. Perhaps you just much better rider than other guys - did you thought of that?

But as for other kind of tyres. I had excellent experience in this Norway tour with Michelin Anakee. And they seem to last good but at same time very grippy for DS tyre. I guess they will suck offroad thou...
Hi Bluesman,

Ive been busy lately but am just catching up with thread now.
In regard to your comments I,d say that your bike needs more front wieghting, mine used to push the front a little so I dropped the front end in yokes by 10mm and jack up the back with the spring preload 10mm, no more push, In regards to 800 back road abilities I think that the trick is that off ease off riding, ability to deal with uneven road surfaces,monster usable low end, and good ground clearance that make the DR:s Fast in the twisties, though I will admit to being a little crazy when dueling with others, Usually I tell myself off afterwards and promise to take it easier next time ( yer right )

A friend of mine Who owns a 08 Fireblade and an ST1300 did a bike swap with me when he was out on his ST and was suprised how well the DR cornered so Im happy with that,

Chow for now

MCmad screwed with this post 10-07-2008 at 12:39 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:51 AM   #154
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,275
well, it is true - DR on road suprisingly good handler..

I already tried dropping front. Over 145 kmph my DR starts to...weave?shake? when I do that and then front still slides too early and too scary comparing to full-scale asphalt bike. It's just contact patch too small...

BUT wait until I will put SV wheels on it ;)

BTW - just done my ride on Pirelli MT21s. Thanks for boosting my confidence back then - it was totally OK. Yes, they are much easier to slide but I had my trip to back and there with no probs and offroad riding with them was miles better than with Mefo's I had before. I even learned how to ride DR in soft dusty sand, thou must admit with my height it takes me imitiating forced wheelie to unload front of DR in sand :) I am too small :)
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #155
enduroprofi
TR Adventurer
 
enduroprofi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Istanbul/TURKEI
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Welcome will add you to post 1,How do you find the Knobbly tires in comparison to the Dual sports tires on and off road, personal I find the Dual sports give no front end bite offroad in sand but they are excellent on road and I pitty any road burner who wants to take an 800 on in the sub 140kph twisties, Also was there an Earthquake when you landed that Jump, Impressive
Sorry for delayed and for my bad English writing,
Firstly thanks for good receiving!
Rear tire is Pirelli MT21, It has a good shape for all ground but It's not safely in new rainly asphalt or very strong ground.
Front tire is Metzeler MC5, It's not good in this machine, DR800 is very heavy for this shape, Driving isn't stabil and the machine is plunging to left or right side.
I want to use MT21 all time and all wheel but must be careful on little wet asphalt.
They are excellent on dry and nonslick asphalt road, muddy road, sands.
I'm to be unable to get one's in English.





























enduroprofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #156
enduroprofi
TR Adventurer
 
enduroprofi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Istanbul/TURKEI
Oddometer: 14


enduroprofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #157
ztaj
jatz
 
ztaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Nelson-ish New Zealand
Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Wow, congratulations!

I bet 1 case of Hoegaarden beer that after you will install Wilbers kit and have first ride you will be amazed how much better bike will handle.

I was (amazed that's it) when did it to my past bikes
Thats a big call bluesman, 1 case of beer , they must be good. But I don't really drink beer, make it a case of bourbon and coke(woodys)

Can't hardly wait 'till they get here, itching to get them in and go for a blast

ztaj screwed with this post 10-08-2008 at 01:30 AM
ztaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #158
BrianDR800
DR800 BIG 93`
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Koege, Denmark
Oddometer: 5
Hi
I have a 93` DR800 SR43, 31500 km
Bought it in May 08, and I love it!!!

Need some help uploading image, need to resize the pic!!


Brian DR800 Denmark
BrianDR800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:07 AM   #159
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1220607773


Click above for pic

Welcome to New Owner Contributers
aapo
Drbig
Jack Rabit
Brian DR800
Will add you to post 1

some great pic,s etc going on while Ive been away, Take a look at these from Drbigs Israel trip Im sure he wont mind

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393050

MCmad screwed with this post 10-09-2008 at 03:13 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:03 AM   #160
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
well, it is true - DR on road suprisingly good handler..

I already tried dropping front. Over 145 kmph my DR starts to...weave?shake? when I do that and then front still slides too early and too scary comparing to full-scale asphalt bike. It's just contact patch too small...

BUT wait until I will put SV wheels on it ;)

BTW - just done my ride on Pirelli MT21s. Thanks for boosting my confidence back then - it was totally OK. Yes, they are much easier to slide but I had my trip to back and there with no probs and offroad riding with them was miles better than with Mefo's I had before. I even learned how to ride DR in soft dusty sand, thou must admit with my height it takes me imitiating forced wheelie to unload front of DR in sand :) I am too small :)
Something sounds amiss there as My DR is rock steady, off course without knowing your exact settings it would be hard to compare, at the momment Im running Conti Escape tires perhaps they are particly good in this regard??

Extra sets off wheels would indeed be the ultimate answer though as you said,

I also wonder about different Riding styles Im a dirt biker from way back and tend to ride around what evers happening on bike to compensate I dont Really have a road ridding style, as soon as the corners go under 70kph I stick my foot out motard style, sometimes even on my Harley if Im
desperate, Or Else maybe your just going way faster than me ?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1220607527




Click above for pic



Cool that the MT21s worked out Ill be getting a set to try soon, but to be Honest they will probable go on my NX650, Im doing the Road thing at the mo with the DR and loving it, So much low end, my mates CB1300 feels weak down low by comparison and as I try to keep within the NZ Liscences Loosing speed off 140kph, I dont want top end which of course those road burners have in abundance,

MCmad screwed with this post 10-09-2008 at 03:12 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #161
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,275
well, I might be pushing DR a bit wrong since I am used to ride VTR which is very nice taking corners. On other hand I realized it (front whell on edge) happens to me over 90 kmph in kinda typical sportbike-heaven corners, which demand stiffer chassis and generally are more of high-speed corners.
I felt it in Norway when few times pushed DR to take corners at 90+, so I think I should just adapt better. Below 90 it seems to have enough grip. Plus I know I do one thing wrong - I really taking corners in sportbike style, leaning a lot which often not that necessary and that obviously reducing contact path.

As for stability - I posted this story once here. Seems it is to do with me and particular setup rather than with DR. I am short guy but not too light, so my riding position is very specific to me...It happened on my friends bikes too when I tried it (non-DR)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=dr800

Here is whole story. As of moment I did unwind preload a lot (to factory medium setting) stability issue dissapeared. When I try to up preload at rear or drop forks in front it comes back....
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #162
drbig
Solo Sailor
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Israel
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1220607773



Click above for pic


Welcome to New Owner Contributers
aapo
Drbig
Jack Rabit
Brian DR800
Will add you to post 1

some great pic,s etc going on while Ive been away, Take a look at these from Drbigs Israel trip Im sure he wont mind

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393050
Thanks from Drbig. great to be here!
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #163
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
well, I might be pushing DR a bit wrong since I am used to ride VTR which is very nice taking corners. On other hand I realized it (front whell on edge) happens to me over 90 kmph in kinda typical sportbike-heaven corners, which demand stiffer chassis and generally are more of high-speed corners.
I felt it in Norway when few times pushed DR to take corners at 90+, so I think I should just adapt better. Below 90 it seems to have enough grip. Plus I know I do one thing wrong - I really taking corners in sportbike style, leaning a lot which often not that necessary and that obviously reducing contact path.

As for stability - I posted this story once here. Seems it is to do with me and particular setup rather than with DR. I am short guy but not too light, so my riding position is very specific to me...It happened on my friends bikes too when I tried it (non-DR)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281380&highlight=dr800

Here is whole story. As of moment I did unwind preload a lot (to factory medium setting) stability issue dissapeared. When I try to up preload at rear or drop forks in front it comes back....
Thats all very interesting,
My thoughts are

1, that you are probable talking about speeds at the uper limits off the DRs capabilities I personal experience is that over 150kph cornering things start to flex a bit but Im still ok (just) till 160kph with my riding style, A VTR wouldnt even flinch at those speeds as its designed to do them easily, and my Harley starts to bend at 140kph quite badly and I cant ride it In the company of sports bikes at all, though I have done but they all laugh at how much I have to lean off it to turn, I talking hard cornering and switchbacks as per map below,

Last Ride was from Clevedon to Miranda and back up through Hunua if you type in Clevedon, in front off Auckland you will get start point and just go up to Kawakawa bay and then down coast in satellite mode, dont ya just love Google Earth

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Auckland,+New+Zealand&layer=&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=13&iwloc=addr


2, Bike setup to you personaly is obviosly criticle,more rear bias sounds like what you need and perhaps we could do setup comparisions between our bikes if you want, the best way to do this is to firstly measure the rear sag with you sitting on the bike, eg distance from rear mufler bolt to rear axle, I could post some pics to ilustrate if you like, and then hieght of forks in top triple clamps, you wieght in Kg would also help to estimate front suspension load

3, definatly something going on with you riding style perhaps you are to forceful at speeds and over imputing into Bike, at higher speeds that can happen with these kinds of bikes since the turn quite easy on thier own,
Al interesting stuff for us bikers to nut out, Chow

MCmad screwed with this post 10-10-2008 at 04:37 PM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #164
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbig
Thanks from Drbig. great to be here!
Your most welcome,
Checked out your Israel ride post, Wow I am most jealous,
Many off my christian friends have been there but Ive not seen biker type of pics with such cool scenery before, I was reminded off this biblical phophetic verse written about 700BC

Isa 35:1 THE wilderness and the wasteland shall be glad for them,

And the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose;

Isa 35:2 It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice,
Even with joy and singing.
The glory of Lebanon shall be given to it,
The excellence of Carmel and Sharon.
They shall see the glory of the LORD,
The excellency of our God



Israel has that Type off Heritage I quess,
Out of interest New Zealand is the furtherist country in the world from Israel as Ive mention before to nave but it looks similiar in someways but we dont have deserts, only huge sand dunes on some of the beaches,
Chow for now will post some, pics soon
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:44 AM   #165
drbig
Solo Sailor
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Israel
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Your most welcome,
Checked out your Israel ride post, Wow I am most jealous,
Many off my christian friends have been there but Ive not seen biker type of pics with such cool scenery before, I was reminded off this biblical phophetic verse written about 700BC

Isa 35:1 THE wilderness and the wasteland shall be glad for them,

And the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose;


Isa 35:2 It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice,
Even with joy and singing.
The glory of Lebanon shall be given to it,
The excellence of Carmel and Sharon.
They shall see the glory of the LORD,
The excellency of our God




Israel has that Type off Heritage I quess,
Out of interest New Zealand is the furtherist country in the world from Israel as Ive mention before to nave but it looks similiar in someways but we dont have deserts, only huge sand dunes on some of the beaches,
Chow for now will post some, pics soon
I like the south of Israel a great deal. I like the north I and the center. I just don't like Tel Aviv with it's big city mentality and GO GO Go living style.
Parts of Israel still resemble how things were during those anciant times of the Bible. In others you have to try and let your imagination do the work for you. A week ago we rode to Bet Shean in the the east This is a very anciant city that is mentiond in the book of Joshua and in the 1st book of Samuel ws the city were the body of King saul was presented after he lost the battle on mount Gilboa. The whole city has been dug and is quite amazing to walk through ( though it is from a later period , Roman and mostly Bizantine). They have created a light and sound spektical that really allowes one to walk around and get a feeling that there is still a living city around you with all it's hussle and bustle

P.S As my wife and I were in New Zealand in 2003 (Mostly the south island) I can tell you with some confidance that NZ is really unique and very far from what Israel looks like. I wouldn't mind having some of that NZ beautiy arond here!
Attached Images
 
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014