User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 AM   #2296
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Hmm... I feel like discussion
If you wont ride 600 Hornet either bike is restricted or you totally missed it's buzz. I had Hornet for few years (old one) and it was one of most aggressive, hooligan and do it all at same time bike I ever had.
Hornet starts to feel good moment you cross 6500 rpms, which is just little twist of trottle and this engine is very quick revving, so if we compare 620 multi to 600 Hornet with all my love to twins (and to Multi 1100 in particular) Multi is way more sluggish on rpms pick up.
Not sure if you are aware but there is such thing as Hornet Cup in Europe, where this bikes raced almost stock.
But that's offtopic.
I have to ask more questions :) how important is weight?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 AM   #2297
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by morse
1. Budget. Today I think maybe 5-6 K Euros... Maybe more. (prices from mobile.de) But who knows what is going to be in three years.
2. Purpose: A mostly tarmac rideout for like a month and daily commutes to work and such. And in some cases gravel and a little offroad (but I do have a "offroad sledge" for track also)
3.Relaibility: I don't mind mending and improveing things, but they HAVE TO ride themselves to the garage.

So far it seems as I'm speaking of the almighty Dr Big.

4. Personal preference. Assuming that it's not DR, I tend to fancy 950Adventure and the 800 beemer, I havent ridden either of them, but I REALLY like the seating position of the KTM.
5. Practicality... Is there such thing when talking about motorcycles? Maybe an ability to drive it economically (fuel-wise) would be a pro. But an enormously unpractical heard of horses in the engine wouldn't be bad.
6. As for keeping my license, this is a problem, but in my case I say that I would rather drive a Multistrada 90 km per hour than a 600 hornet. The bike has to feel GOOD in legal speeds, but it may go faster. In my oppinion for example the hornet starts to feel good from 120 km/h. OH! AND THE TUONO! OH MY GOD!!! This thing should be FORBIDDEN I have opened this monster's throttle valves all the way a few times.
7. Visual is secondary but my taste is the bikes with rough edges. Like DR, Beemer and KTM Lc8 Adventure in some way also...
8. A bike HAS to HAVE character. Period.

So it seems you guys could tell your oppinions:
Which is more suitable, the beemer or the katoom. (Beemer has only a "new" version and is therefor more expensive).
OR! Is there a holy grail I haven't discover yet.

Again I couldn't go to the KTM test day. I have to make friends with some cool bikes owners... Only cool bikes my friends has are either bikes or BIIIIG tourers (Pan-Europa, Gs1200) and either isn't too cool.
would be steering towards 950 with pipes ( not to loud though) and one tooth drop on front spocket to bring low end up at 100kph, sounds close to your needs ( you could Pm me so Id have to go and buy one too, which is still a possability )
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:46 AM   #2298
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
If you wont ride 600 Hornet either bike is restricted or you totally missed it's buzz. I had Hornet for few years (old one) and it was one of most aggressive, hooligan and do it all at same time bike I ever had.
Hornet starts to feel good moment you cross 6500 rpms, which is just little twist of trottle and this engine is very quick revving, so if we compare 620 multi to 600 Hornet with all my love to twins (and to Multi 1100 in particular) Multi is way more sluggish on rpms pick up.
Not sure if you are aware but there is such thing as Hornet Cup in Europe, where this bikes raced almost stock.
But that's offtopic.
Bluesman You need to go ride a Triumph street triple then, as youll never be the same again , Most likely when the smoke clears Thats what will be sitting next to the DR come next summer
A picture paints a thousand words, and it aant no lie , it was like a short motard on steroids and sharp as a tack, boy is it gona make a good track Bike

MCmad screwed with this post 05-04-2009 at 03:54 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:03 AM   #2299
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Regards Girls, do they know they are being put on the meet market or are you boys being naughty and going behind there backs

Remember where you dinners come from before you do anything silly
Don't know about the athers but I'm still a good boy...
She likes that picture...!
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:16 AM   #2300
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Morce, I am hoping that either the LC8 or maybe BMW 800
reply continued

LC8 are cool but the injection needs sorting as with the 990SM they are to abrupt on the thottle and wont hold constant unloaded speeds and hunt, I am told by dealers this can be tuned out, but many people preffer the 950 carbed bikes , though I think they lack low end, which the 990 doesnt seem to, ( 950s benifit from lower gearing or like to go faster to be in the power) 800 Bmw hmm personally something about them sends me to sleep though I bet there great bikes and the owners rave about them , Ride one and see, Multistrada the red Italian you could get agressive tires for it but it aant going to go in sand or mud and it may breakdown on the way;

see still no help
A friend told me this morning he rode a BMW 800 in Lesotho (mountain kingding in the middle of SA) this past weekend - said it was amazingly jerky on the throttle (my experience too). He also thought it a little underpowered but his ride is a 1200 GS - big difference between a 800 and 1200.

I've managed to safely avoid the KTM 9-fiddy thus far. I know my own self control (it sucks) and ability (it sucks too)

For now I'll be happy to hang on to the DR BIG - just heard my contract will not be extended thus unemployed come 1st July
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:18 AM   #2301
nave
Nave

Quote:
From Germany to Estonia starting from 7000 Euro...
For a new one???
Old 05-04-2009, 04:21 AM   #2302
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave
you'r own pictures not from magazines or the web...

Sometimes I do wonder why she bothers with me.

IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond

RaY YreKa screwed with this post 05-04-2009 at 04:30 AM
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:28 AM   #2303
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
For now I'll be happy to hang on to the DR BIG - just heard my contract will not be extended thus unemployed come 1st July
Sorry to hear that Ed
IBA #40578

Old 05-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #2304
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
Introducing............

Mrs ztaj

[IMG][/IMG]

and here she is without the helmet

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice pics
IBA #40578

Old 05-04-2009, 04:45 AM   #2305
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
So it seems you guys could tell your oppinions:
Which is more suitable, the beemer or the katoom. (Beemer has only a "new" version and is therefor more expensive).
OR! Is there a holy grail I haven't discover yet.
My list of requirements is actually a lot like yours .

I've had bad experience of BMW service, so I'd think twice (but that's just me). Love the KTMs but they are expensive to maintain if you're not a good 'shade tree mechanic'.

If Triumph ever release a 675 Tiger, or Yamaha the new Super Tenere, they might be attractive.

But I don't think I'll find the perfect bike; I've been through hyperbikes, commuters, big trailies, small trailies, etc.

at the moment I feel like keeping the Big until it dies, but maybe adding something like the Aprilia Dorsoduro (if I could afford one, I mean).
IBA #40578

Old 05-04-2009, 04:47 AM   #2306
nave
Nave

Sorry, no girls, only dead sea view...

Old 05-04-2009, 04:52 AM   #2307
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
But that's offtopic.
Sorry I expressed myself badly. I don't think bad of Hornets, you're right, they are very fast revving and at least the newer model (AND I'm talking of the 600) has a nicly done lower rev part. It did a wheelie with a second or third without a clutch and without me actually wanting it. Nevertheless I wouldn't want one. Don't want to hurt your feelings tough . For me the feeling of the multistrada was so good because it was nice on lower speeds but was abel to go fast also (I tried 180 km/h on a straight and it felt steady) - I actually wouldn't want this bike either, it's too notoffroad.

About weight. Dude! I ride DR 800. How much of an issue would weight be to me . So the weight is not a problem. I have a 93 kilo mx bike to fool around with (now that we are talking I should get it to shape for this summer).

Oh! And NAVE. You Wish!
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:54 AM   #2308
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bluesman You need to go ride a Triumph street triple then, as youll never be the same again , Most likely when the smoke clears Thats what will be sitting next to the DR come next summer
A picture paints a thousand words, and it aant no lie , it was like a short motard on steroids and sharp as a tack, boy is it gona make a good track Bike
I rode Street Tripple and Speed Tripple. Liked Speed Tripple more (for engine).
To be honest - nah, not my cup of tea. Brilliant bike, no questions, just not for me. I only ride bikes which could serve me in long distance just a good as in street burn. I had my share of sport-roadster-risk license-visit chiropractor riding and do not really fancy it anymore
And - 800rider, ST is totally brilliant machine but IMO it will never make as good track bike as...open-class sprotbike track bike.
If you can - have a go at new 600s (including Daytona please) and latest Blade, this will boil your racer blood like nobody's business
If you go for really track and really Triumph than Daytona is more like it that ST.
I still have my perfectly sorted and upgraded suspension Firestorm/Superhawk next to my DR and I did not ride it for a year. Despite it have gobs of character, sound like nothing I ever heard (except Ducs) and makes you laugh maniacally every time you open trottle

Now, back to subject. I tried GS800 and suprise - I second that jerky throttle! Very abrupt at low speed. Apart from that and from too much electronics and lot of things to break in the fall I believe that GS800 have no competition. LC8 is totally different category, I dream of owning 990 Adventure but also I know how much time it takes to service it. When KTM will finally get their act together on fine balance between racing and usual buyer I probably will go for it. I just do not fancy removing fuel tank and fairing to change oil every 7500 km. Lazy, that I am
Plus I am short guy. Morse seems to be tall guy, so for him 990 will be a total blast of a bike. I rode 950 and honestly it is great machine, just superb.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:01 AM   #2309
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry I expressed myself badly. I don't think bad of Hornets, you're right, they are very fast revving and at least the newer model (AND I'm talking of the 600) has a nicly done lower rev part. It did a wheelie with a second or third without a clutch and without me actually wanting it. Nevertheless I wouldn't want one. Don't want to hurt your feelings tough . For me the feeling of the multistrada was so good because it was nice on lower speeds but was abel to go fast also (I tried 180 km/h on a straight and it felt steady) - I actually wouldn't want this bike either, it's too notoffroad.

About weight. Dude! I ride DR 800. How much of an issue would weight be to me . So the weight is not a problem. I have a 93 kilo mx bike to fool around with (now that we are talking I should get it to shape for this summer).

Oh! And NAVE. You Wish!
I know what you mean about Hornet, I also know that sporty V-twin Multi feeling :) guess what I did back then - sold Hornet and bought VTR Firestorm (which had to undergo few suspension upgrades and now fine).
I can't compare feeling of 90 degree twin to any other engine, I just love it.

See, why question about weight. I dream of 990, but if you tried it - it is REALLY top heavy and..heavy. To me it felt way heavier than DR. Despite it is listed at 199 kg dry weight (no battery or any fluids).
On other hand - for occasional blast through unpaved roads you do not need 990, and on asphalt it makes no sense in presence of more "asphalt" bikes. However, KTM990 SMT (new one) makes WAY more sense for your needs. Budget - I know. I would not go for old 950 (in your price range it must be old really) to avoid all gremlins which were sorted on 990 or latest 950s.

If you ask me - I'd go Multistrada. I just have soft spot for those :)
Old 05-04-2009, 05:01 AM   #2310
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Sorry to hear that Ed
I'll bounce back, but not sure about the cost yet... This time I'll sell the car first...
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote