User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #2341
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,861
This is soooo great!

I wake up and there's almost two pages of posts to read.

Where to start with replies.

NEW BIKES:

I'm going to sound like a complete Luddite here, but, there are really NO new bikes that I like. None, nada, zero. Isn't that strange. Oh sure, I'm still interested in the new machines but every one I look at has a level of complexity that I'm just NOT willing to live with. I always end up walking out and being thankful for what I've already got. My opinion is that the best bikes were built between 1985 and 1995. These had the best metallurgy, build quality and the best balance between complexity and reliability.

I am preparing to enter my sixth decade on this rock so I'm sure my opinion is suspect.

As far as weight goes, the statistics certainly don't say much about how the bike feels. My Africa/Alp and the DR750 weigh almost the same, yet their feel on the road is totally different. As I've said before, I don't know what Suzuki did with this bike, whether it was purposeful or accidental, but they got the balance and geometry very right. Other bikes I've ridden all seem lacking in this area when compared to the DR.

MODDING the 800s:

Very interesting.....I didn't know that people were actually changing the style back to the earlier one. I'd like to see how this is done.

PHOTOS:

Zatj, a DR Big AND a Tenere - amazing. The Tenere is one bike I'm still looking forward to owning. And....guess what....they were never imported to the US (again).

Photos of my wife on a motorcycle will be old. She broke her back during a 3-Day Event (equestrian) about 15 years ago and hasn't been able to ride since. I'll look through some photo albums.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #2342
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
The perfect Bike

Im more confused now , but as Ladder said one thing I know I like my Big
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #2343
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
I am preparing to enter my sixth decade on this rock so I'm sure my opinion is suspect.
ROTFLMAO!! (rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off)

In fact, I'm nearing my fourth decade and I think the same as you - maybe we are both suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
As far as weight goes, the statistics certainly don't say much about how the bike feels. My Africa/Alp and the DR750 weigh almost the same, yet their feel on the road is totally different. As I've said before, I don't know what Suzuki did with this bike, whether it was purposeful or accidental, but they got the balance and geometry very right. Other bikes I've ridden all seem lacking in this area when compared to the DR.
I've said the same thing. Of all the bikes I've ever ridden or owned, the DR BIG was the first one that I just mounted and everything just "felt" right (dunno how else to explain in English). Perfect balance, power and smiles.
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973

DrBigEd screwed with this post 05-04-2009 at 01:09 PM
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #2344
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,801
DR bits in USA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AA-Su...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AA-DR...Q5fAccessories

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #2345
MCmad OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
ROTFLMAO!! (rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off)

In fact, I'm nearing my fourth decade and I think the same as you - maybe we are both suspect.

I've said the same thing. Of all the bikes I've ever ridden or owned, the DR BIG was the first one that I just mounted and everything just "felt" right (dunno how else to explain in English). Perfect balance, power and smiles.
Come on Ed Admit it your just addicted to grunt, not much grunts like a BIg

PS sorry to here about Job , I will have a chat with a friend of mine to see what can be done

was talking to a client whose 37year old friend is dying of cancer which made me feel real bad about how good my life is, put it all in prospective for me, the sun has come up and life is good

for you and Nave,

MCmad screwed with this post 05-04-2009 at 01:57 PM
Old 05-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #2346
ambraa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Yep, it looks similar to that area but this one is "higher" - that's when you take that small road up from Lom and go to area of Jotunheimen...you know, with black/grey soil and occasional moss :)
It was sooo foggy in the morning that most of cars stopped at parking of small hotel on way up...they looked at us like we were idiots to go there, but fog cleared just about 1-2 km further. It was cold there, but beatiful...
I want to ge there again.
Cool, I was there this weekend. We camped nearby the hotel right before you head down to Sogndal (Turtagrø). Lots of spectacular peaks there with some really nice and steep faces to ski...road is called Sognefjellsvegen (RV55).

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...360800x600.jpg

The weather in this erea is known to be very unstable. Humid air is often pushed in from the ocean and up against the high mountains, so it can rain and then 10 minutes later the sun may shine....pretty similar to your fog-experience
ambraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #2347
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Ladder106, you nailed it and I will drink to that!

Listen people. THERE IS NO OTHER BIG DS BIKES I LIKE MORE THAN DR800!
And I am totally totally puzzled, but as you said - geometry of DR is amazing. How the hell did they do it so right - I do not know, but they did.
This is why I am so paranoid about having forks with same offset (WP Extremes off Berg) and about tuning all bits just right to retain that balance even with 17" wheels.

Sorry about capitals

P.S. I will get myself Sherco 5.1i one day to rip greenlanes!
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #2348
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambraa
Cool, I was there this weekend. We camped nearby the hotel right before you head down to Sogndal (Turtagrø). Lots of spectacular peaks there with some really nice and steep faces to ski...road is called Sognefjellsvegen (RV55).

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...360800x600.jpg

The weather in this erea is known to be very unstable. Humid air is often pushed in from the ocean and up against the high mountains, so it can rain and then 10 minutes later the sun may shine....pretty similar to your fog-experience
Hey, where are you "based" in Norway :)?
Is it possible I seen your DR parked on strand of Bergen right in the center of city last summer? There was 2 DRs - red or orange 750 and some other....? In August last year?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #2349
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Ladder106, you nailed it and I will drink to that!

Listen people. THERE IS NO OTHER BIG DS BIKES I LIKE MORE THAN DR800!
And I am totally totally puzzled, but as you said - geometry of DR is amazing. How the hell did they do it so right - I do not know, but they did.
This is why I am so paranoid about having forks with same offset (WP Extremes off Berg) and about tuning all bits just right to retain that balance even with 17" wheels.

Sorry about capitals

P.S. I will get myself Sherco 5.1i one day to rip greenlanes!

* Ahem * 750?

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #2350
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
* Ahem * 750?
No :)

Remember - I am mechanical engineer by education with obsession to removing design bugs?
Back torque limiter (absence of it) and skinny forks. This kills 750 for me.
Design - brings it back to consideration
Old 05-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #2351
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Come on Ed Admit it your just addicted to grunt, not much grunts like a BIg

PS sorry to here about Job , I will have a chat with a friend of mine to see what can be done

was talking to a client whose 37year old friend is dying of cancer which made me feel real bad about how good my life is, put it all in prospective for me, the sun has come up and life is good

for you and Nave
Thanks for the pic - need the pot of gold though...

Yes, I might be slightly addicted to grunt

Well, I'm a 38 year old expectant father but I still have so much to be thankful for. I've lost so many friends since school that I am too scared to count.

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #2352
MCmad OP
Banned

Quote:
No :)

Remember - I am mechanical engineer by education with obsession to removing design bugs?
Back torque limiter (absence of it) and skinny forks. This kills 750 for me.
Design - brings it back to consideration
Now Now boys non of this my Big is better than your Big you can bag other bikes but thats a no no , Eg Hondas are boring is ok

Old 05-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #2353
MCmad OP
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the pic - need the pot of gold though...

Yes, I might be slightly addicted to grunt

Well, I'm a 38 year old expectant father but I still have so much to be thankful for. I've lost so many friends since school that I am too scared to count.
Yep plenty to be grateful for , Regards to pot of gold we already have it, or at least it is near by but we just dont relalise it
Old 05-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #2354
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Hondas are not boring at all you spend way too much time with DS bikes last time I gave somebody my VTR he came with summary "what the hell is that? Is that throttle directly connected to wheels? It feels like some mountain bike with rocket up it's arse! Do not ever propose me to ride it if you do not want me dead!"

800rider, you must try new blade now. Or gixxer K9
my God, what i am saying

Come on, we were not about your DR and my DR, but about DR Big rulez
Within elite force of DR bigs choices are purely based on personal perception and paranoias
Old 05-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #2355
ambraa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Hey, where are you "based" in Norway :)?
Is it possible I seen your DR parked on strand of Bergen right in the center of city last summer? There was 2 DRs - red or orange 750 and some other....? In August last year?
I live in Oslo...so I spend way too much time in my car
I'm pretty sure that was not my DR....I have been working on it for 1,5 years now, so last summer it was in bits in my garage... Even though the DR was not sold in Norway quite a few of them has been imported from Germany (mine too). But you were lucky, don't think I've seen more than 4-5 DR big's here and not ever two at the same time.

I actually got my licence plate today, so I just had my first ride on the DR this afternoon. Some mixed emotions as there is quite a few things that need to be sorted (harsh suspension, too high gear ratio, nervous behavior ++) but overall it worked ok....turns on a dime
ambraa is offline   Reply With Quote