Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 AM   #226
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Hi Guys, and welcome to Okta, have added you to post 1

Letsgo21 did you buy 800 you were looking at, if so I will add you also

Airfilter mods look interesting, I have cut the top off original 800 air filter as per Bluesmans original mods, seems to go a bit better but havnt had much time to test lately but wheelies seem easier,
One suggestion before you guys all start going mad with adapters, would be to remove filter all together and try in a non dusty enviroment and that will be near enough to what your best filter setup will give.
if you think its makes a big difference go for it, if not you will save yourself a lot of bother, probable the more modified the rest of engine is the more likely it is to work well as the engine will be able to use the increased flow.

Am thinking of indexing thread from post 1 a bit so we can go to items we want latter eg, page 15 modified filter adapter etc

What ya reckon
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:04 AM   #227
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider

Am thinking of indexing thread from post 1 a bit so we can go to items we want latter eg, page 15 modified filter adapter etc

What ya reckon

great idea. the way this thread is growing with all this wonderful info we'll be needing an index on the front page
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #228
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Hi Guys, and welcome to Okta, have added you to post 1

Letsgo21 did you buy 800 you were looking at, if so I will add you also

Airfilter mods look interesting, I have cut the top off original 800 air filter as per Bluesmans original mods, seems to go a bit better but havnt had much time to test lately but wheelies seem easier,
One suggestion before you guys all start going mad with adapters, would be to remove filter all together and try in a non dusty enviroment and that will be near enough to what your best filter setup will give.
if you think its makes a big difference go for it, if not you will save yourself a lot of bother, probable the more modified the rest of engine is the more likely it is to work well as the engine will be able to use the increased flow.

What ya reckon
Very good point! I think it's the way to do it...
I am kinda very interested about velocity stack part of it - with similar but 2-parts adapter it would be possible to vary lenght of duct between filter and carbs, and from my past memories of grim time with old soviet boxer bike I had it made hell lot of difference. On my VTR it also makes immediate impact on bike, for example if I swap front and rear cylinder "bell" under airfilter it changing behaviour a lot (they are different lenght).
Mmmm...I think I got myself another project...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #229
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
air filter adapter dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
Excellent idea Nave, this is the way to go! Can you tell us the overall length and outside diameter of the cylidrical part where the filter pod fits?
i lost the original drawing...
so here is a quick drafting of the dimension.

in the last month i had some time that i couldn't ride, so insted- i took the time and changed the rear design of the bike...
i will upload some pix as soon as i can...

nave screwed with this post 03-20-2009 at 12:11 AM
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #230
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

one question thou...my friend pointed it to me (Do'h! I should have seen it!)You will need to take care of turbulence caused by angle between flange and pipe...there is no compensating chamber in adaptor to "calm air down"...so you might need to work something out to make it work on high rpms.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #231
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
one question thou...my friend pointed it to me (Do'h! I should have seen it!)You will need to take care of turbulence caused by angle between flange and pipe...there is no compensating chamber in adaptor to "calm air down"...so you might need to work something out to make it work on high rpms.
I know this problem...
when i was trying this part with out the air box (the first idea...) it was not working good enough in high rpm, but- when i put beck the air box, it did as you say "calm the air down" and was working very good in all rpm range, with a very good breathing all the way up to 8000 rpm! (even with the original carb with the originsl jets setting)
if i was racing this bike i would probably improve this part and make it a cone shape...
for me it's working very very good now. easy to clean, more power in all rpm and fun makeing it and riding it :)

sometimes i even think the bike is to brutal...

the pic' was taken in wadi pahran. running from the siani desert to the israeli negev desert

nave screwed with this post 03-20-2009 at 12:15 AM
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #232
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

well nave in regards to that picture- farken awesome mate.
when i grow some balls and learn how to ride i'll look back over these pages and copy your mod's, job well done
Old 10-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #233
ppe172
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Bluesman,

Regarding this:

As for fuel pump - if ever you will need to replace it - buy Mikuni fuel pump rather than original. Those Mikuni's easy to find (Google), cheap and much more reliable than stock pump.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/MIKUNI-FUEL...4718_10111.jcw

Which pump is correct? I don't know what the liters per hour of the stock pump is. Do you use the 35lph or the 65lph? Are you using one of these? Do the holes line up for bolting it to the stock location?
ppe172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #234
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

I have not used it on my DR800, but guys in Europe have. I only replaced pump on my friends AT and there it works still now, seem to be better than stock.
Lemme search my links/stuff on my PC, should have it somewhere. I am quite sure it was not single outlet, that's all I remember - because guys had to block one outlet. And it did not fit on original bolts positions.
On other hand - why not to open stock fuel pump to see where it is leaking if it is leaking there? I could be wrong, but if I am not wrong stock pump actually do not have rubber/plastic membrane but metal diaphragm with springs instead and repair kit not that expensive. Also, original pump have some kind of overflow valve and couple of check valves - may be something is just stuck somehow and overpressurizing carbs with fuel or leaking through? I won't bother replacing it if it is not badly broken.
If you need DR pump drawing - drop me mail on bluesman_ip@yahoo.com, I have it in original workshop manual in PDF, that explains a lot how it works and what could be wrong.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #235
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
@800 rider:

i didn't buy that one, but i did found another one on ebay today and won the auction It's a black '93 800 with a full laser system, i'll pick it up by the end of this week i think. Pics will follow!
Letsgo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #236
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppe172
Bluesman,

Which pump is correct? I don't know what the liters per hour of the stock pump is. Do you use the 35lph or the 65lph? Are you using one of these? Do the holes line up for bolting it to the stock location?
my thoughts too, which one ? i was thinking the 14lph single out let.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #237
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
On other hand - why not to open stock fuel pump to see where it is leaking if it is leaking there? I could be wrong, but if I am not wrong stock pump actually do not have rubber/plastic membrane but metal diaphragm with springs instead and repair kit not that expensive. Also, original pump have some kind of overflow valve and couple of check valves - may be something is just stuck somehow and overpressurizing carbs with fuel or leaking through? I won't bother replacing it if it is not badly broken.
If you need DR pump drawing - drop me mail on bluesman_ip@yahoo.com, I have it in original workshop manual in PDF, that explains a lot how it works and what could be wrong.
cool mate, have emailed. will need that extra info so i got some idea of what i'm doing .
the leak on mine is coming from the carb, kinda looks like where the fuel line goes in. even when the engine is off she still leaks . That got me wondering does the pump let gravity fed fuel thru when the bike is NOT running ?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:07 AM   #238
MCmad OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo21
@800 rider:

i didn't buy that one, but i did found another one on ebay today and won the auction It's a black '93 800 with a full laser system, i'll pick it up by the end of this week i think. Pics will follow!
Not that were elitist or predujest but you just bought the right of entry to post 1, congratulations on your new purchase look forward to pics

Actually we are elitist, if you;d bought a DR650 you would now be lost in a sea of over 100,000 posts

We now have 19 owners listed , 4, from New Zealand, 2 from Israel and 2 from Belgium, all the others at 1, Its not a competition But NZ;s winning so far,

If any off you want to come riding down here its only about 24hrs in a plane, perhaps I should try and find the only other 800 I know of in NZ, or some 750's which are like Hens teeth as well, and start up a DRBIG tour Bussiness for you guys Here, Im sure if I had to I would cope with the Burden of showing you around

Also some thing interesting to look at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390579

MCmad screwed with this post 10-30-2008 at 02:52 AM
Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #239
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,836
Here's Daisy

That's at the IOM TT in 2006.

And her she is in Cyprus in 2005

And in the begining, before all the 'Nip & Tuck'.

Shropshire on a dry day....... summer 2008

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra

Megamoto screwed with this post 10-30-2008 at 08:38 AM
Megamoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #240
MCmad OP
Banned

Megamoto that one cool looking machine, Rolling Art in Black , No 2 Pic;s my favourite,

I see in your spec details http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...hicle&vid=3258 that you Dyno'd it what Hp did she make,

Crazy Sunday at the IOM must have been a great Ride Id be interested in a bit off a run down on that Id say the DR would quite a safe way to go round there, Also out of interest if you dont mind me asking were are you from

Keep those pic;s coming guys , sorry if Ive been a bit lazy myself with pics, its these dang computers they always glitching,

MCmad screwed with this post 10-30-2008 at 11:08 AM