http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fNgMUVhcc8

Shall we go and visit'em?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:04 AM   #257
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Megamoto that one cool looking machine, Rolling Art in Black , No 2 Pic;s my favourite,

I see in your spec details http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...hicle&vid=3258 that you Dyno'd it what Hp did she make,

Crazy Sunday at the IOM must have been a great Ride Id be interested in a bit off a run down on that Id say the DR would quite a safe way to go round there, Also out of interest if you dont mind me asking were are you from

Keep those pic;s coming guys , sorry if Ive been a bit lazy myself with pics, its these dang computers they always glitching,

Not a great deal more than stock. In 1999 she made 42 Bhp (stock) and in 2003 with a Lazer Pro Duro, K&N and Jetting 45 Bhp. I'm in Shropshire in England.

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:18 AM   #258
bushybutt
Bushybutt

Oddometer: 20
Hi guys. I'm running 15/47 with EO8s front and rear on one bike doing about 4500 at 100kph and 15/48 on the other bike with a Michellin T66 front and an EO8 rear at about the same revs. The difference is the rolling circumference of the front wheel. The EO8 is a lower profile than the T66 so will rotate faster and therefore read a faster speed. With a MT21 front your rolling circumference will be greater because of the knobs therefore read slower. Even though they are both 90/90 x 21 some manufacturers measure the carcass and others must measure around the knobs.
bushybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:50 AM   #259
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamoto
Not a great deal more than stock. In 1999 she made 42 Bhp (stock) and in 2003 with a Lazer Pro Duro, K&N and Jetting 45 Bhp. I'm in Shropshire in England.
But it'd have a fatter torque curve?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #260
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
IMHO I'd put a 15 on the front, just for the fuel economy.
E-09 was going to be my next tyre but I really struggled to get theE-08 off, even had to go see my mate @ the tyre shop to pop the bead on it, no good to me if I get a flat 100 miles from a tyre shop.I might give the mt21 a go on the rear next though
was looking athe m21, but triboy swears by the E-09 and im getting it for a good price($140) so i'll give it a whirl first.
last owner changed to the 14 for more around town riding he's still got the 15 i will pick it up next time i'm over those ways.
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:45 AM   #261
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 353
DIY Solution for the cracking and sliding sounds on a SR43 when stopping the engine

DRbig lovers/owners

I took this article from a German web site (home.germany.net) to introduce to all off you a different solution me and a friend developed for this problem.
Pleas read the article below and then I will present my solution.

From home.germany.net:
"Why not use the ignition key? Stopping the engine using the key can destroy the starter free wheel. At least with the models without the reverse torque limiter in the starter gear i.e. (SR41 and SR42). Fortunately these models still have the manual decompression system. Shut down the engine with the deco lever and you won't hear that gruesome cracking sound again.
What happens? When the engine is shut down by turning the ignition key, the piston and the balancers still have lots of momentum. What makes the piston stop? Of course there's the inner friction of the engine, but the big braking force is the next compression stroke it runs into. When the piston slows down it sometimes stops before reaching top dead center and sometimes it stops after it. When stopping before TDC the compressed air pushes the piston back versus the normal turning direction of the engine. This accelerates the starter free wheel which then starts turning the starter. Hence the ugly sound. Since both free wheel and starter gear arent designed for such load they often happen to lose some teeth, treated that way.
The reverse torque limiter of the SR43 model is not immortal either. If you notice those cracking and sliding sounds on a SR43 when stopping the engine, check the limiter and replace it if necessary."

My solution:
Stopping the engine with the deco lever while the engine still runs will save the starter free wheel and the reverse torque limiter but can damage the valves, and… the sr43 models don’t have deco lever… So what to do to prevent that cracking?
The idea is simple- why not to use the automatic decompression system (sr43 models) to work in 2 ways: A- when you start the engine and B- when you turn it off. That way the decompression system is activated immediately after the ignition key is turn off with no danger of damaging the valves and solving the cracking problem (different from stopping the engine by using the deco lever, and again- the sr43 models don’t have that…)
We have built a prototype system and assemble it on my bike about a year ago and it works great!
It's a very simple electric system, easy do connect to the bike and cheap to build. That way you can turn off your DR800 not been concerned about the cracking affect and in the normal way- with the ignition key!

See attached the electric diagram
Now go to build it
Nave.

nave screwed with this post 03-20-2009 at 01:18 AM
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #262
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 353
the decom' unit pic

this is how it looks like in real life...

nave screwed with this post 12-10-2008 at 11:55 AM
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #263
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Now that's info u can use

Btw, after riding sportbikes for 6 years and beeing 'bikeless' fr almost 2years i finally did a trip to germany (found some great twisties!) to get my own king of thumpers!

on the road:

@ the garage:

better pics will follow

it's a '93 with laser system and almost new pirelli mt60's

Woehoe!! finally back on 2wheels!

Letsgo21 screwed with this post 11-03-2008 at 02:46 PM
Letsgo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #264
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

nice one mate - i'm liking these black colour schemes
i've heard this mentioned a few times and i dont mean to sound dumb,
but what's this laser system on the DR?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:58 AM   #265
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
Letsgo21 - congratulations on DR and - we are quite nearby to each other! I live in Hoegaarden.

You definitely invited for beer, ride and any help you will need with DR in my garage I got quite some mechanical experience with bikes, with DR too - as I can see from looking at your beatiful garage - you are mechanic man too, so there is a lot of info to share
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #266
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Letsgo21 - congratulations on DR and - we are quite nearby to each other! I live in Hoegaarden.

You definitely invited for beer, ride and any help you will need with DR in my garage I got quite some mechanical experience with bikes, with DR too - as I can see from looking at your beatiful garage - you are mechanic man too, so there is a lot of info to share
hey, tnx man!!!
im indeed employed as a mechanic, and used to work on some dirtbikes in the early days ;-) with dr big's i haven't got any exp so any help is welcome!
Still working on the garage to :-)
I used to live in tienen, so i know hoegaarden very well, i guess i'll need a lot info on the dr :-)
Do you know where i can get a workshopmanual?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #267
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310
nice one mate - i'm liking these black colour schemes
i've heard this mentioned a few times and i dont mean to sound dumb,
but what's this laser system on the DR?
tnx dude

laser system:

Old 11-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #268
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo21
hey, tnx man!!!
im indeed employed as a mechanic, and used to work on some dirtbikes in the early days ;-) with dr big's i haven't got any exp so any help is welcome!
Still working on the garage to :-)
I used to live in tienen, so i know hoegaarden very well, i guess i'll need a lot info on the dr :-)
Do you know where i can get a workshopmanual?

Just pass by my place, have coffee or beer and wait while I'll burn copy of CD with full DR Big (from first till last model) workshop manual for you
My email bluesman_ip@yahoo.com
Drop me mail, I'll send you my phone and address
Old 11-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #269
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Just pass by my place, have coffee or beer and wait while I'll burn copy of CD with full DR Big (from first till last model) workshop manual for you
My email bluesman_ip@yahoo.com
Drop me mail, I'll send you my phone and address
workshop manual on cd sounds great, you could make some $$$$ here.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #270
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

to be honest I bought it off guy who already does that business (he got whole lot of manuals for different bikes), so I should be ethically correct - I can not sell it, but to make copy to fellow Belgian rider - I guess it is not a crime.