Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #3061
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Guys, the UK XTZ750 forum is organising a big meeting (4 days) in Spring 2010. Since I used to own Super Teneres, the admins have encouraged me to cross-post this thread:

http://www.xtz750.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2832

I'll be going, and any DRBigs are welcome to join me
Good man! Gate crashing another brand's bash! Cool!

Off to bed for me...
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #3062
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
Good man! Gate crashing another brand's bash! Cool!

Off to bed for me...
Dood, I might end up manning the BBQ
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #3063
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Braided Lines

If I'm adding the caliper from the Nordwest 600, which braided lines do I need?

The Nordwest ones on ebay are twice the price of the DR ones, which is why I'm asking..
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #3064
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,876
Forks are removed from the DR so I took the AfricaAlp out for a little dirt-roading today.

One road I ride has recently been abandoned by the County. It's very remote, no one lives on it and it's difficult and costly to maintain. They don't have the money to keep it up so it's gradually becoming a dirt track.

They are also not maintaining this bridge across a creek. They just erected this sign.

You just know that the verbage took 3 weeks and 2 trips through the legal department before being posted. It's my second favorite road sign of all time.

Here ya go:

Rather open for interpretation (like most things done by lawyers) isn't it. Does it mean "Cross At Your Own Risk". "The Bridge is good up to 1999.9999 lbs" "You Must Be Weightless To Cross This Bridge"....or any others that you can come up with. I love the nanny state.

Another quick photo....this is a really, really fun road. It follows that green ridgeline all the way down to the right to the river. But being on the ridge, if your not as good as you think you are the consequences of coming off are rather grave. Add this to the fact that you may not see anyone else until the weekend..........

Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #3065
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
If I'm adding the caliper from the Nordwest 600, which braided lines do I need?

The Nordwest ones on ebay are twice the price of the DR ones, which is why I'm asking..
Any lines of good length :)

I have HEL for DR800 specifically (bought from UK h-e-l online) and it is a bit too long, so I made "loop" on top of handlebar, but it's no problem.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #3066
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Forks are removed from the DR so I took the AfricaAlp out for a little dirt-roading today.

One road I ride has recently been abandoned by the County. It's very remote, no one lives on it and it's difficult and costly to maintain. They don't have the money to keep it up so it's gradually becoming a dirt track.

They are also not maintaining this bridge across a creek. They just erected this sign.

You just know that the verbage took 3 weeks and 2 trips through the legal department before being posted. It's my second favorite road sign of all time.

Here ya go:

Rather open for interpretation (like most things done by lawyers) isn't it. Does it mean "Cross At Your Own Risk". "The Bridge is good up to 1999.9999 lbs" "You Must Be Weightless To Cross This Bridge"....or any others that you can come up with. I love the nanny state.

Another quick photo....this is a really, really fun road. It follows that green ridgeline all the way down to the right to the river. But being on the ridge, if your not as good as you think you are the consequences of coming off are rather grave. Add this to the fact that you may not see anyone else until the weekend..........
Beatiful places...I miss that "no man land" in Belgium
Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #3067
shannonr73
DR BIG Rider 73

Oddometer: 288
Ladder that looks great out there, I'm looking forward to getting out and finding similar places to take the BIG. I like that bike you took out..
shannonr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #3068
www.drbig.info
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I`m interested in the vibranators so I had a look at their website.
It seems they will not ship to the UK as it`s not on their list . Why? Also, they do not have an email address that I can contact them on.
Any ideas?
www.drbig.info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #3069
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

I know Don at Ricor is planning on getting into the European market. He's asked me to evaluate the Vibranators (bars)and the Intiminators (forks) for both the Honda Transalp and the DR Bigs. (After making certain he knew that these bikes were much more common in europe than in the US)

It would be strange if they refused to ship to the UK.

To contact them go to the Ricor site

http://store.ricorshocks.com/default.asp

....then on the left bar, right under "Info and More" click "Contact Us". This should bring up a form to send a message to them. If this doesn't work, I have Don's email. I'll ask if I can share it with the list.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 06-03-2009 at 02:49 PM
Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #3070
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Ladder106, since I am also very interested about Vibranators...
Do you have hand guards on your DR? I mean - ones with aluminium bar that get bolted to bar inserts? If yes - I assume Vibranators allow you to retain mounting hole for bars? Do yo have any photos of your install?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #3071
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Bluesman,

I've got Acerbis aluminum handguards fitted to the DR750. The Vibranator comes with a longer 8mm bolt that has a countersunk end and tightens with a 5mm allen wrench. This bolt replaces the one in the hanguards and threads through the end nut on the handguard - protruding about 12mm. The Vibranator screws onto the end of this longer bolt with a drop of loc-tite. In the photo, the Vibranator is the piece that starts from where you see the small red Loc-tite blob on the threads of the bolt. You insert this whole thing into the bars and tighten the end bolt as you normally would for the handguards.

The countersunk bolt fits perfectly into the end of the Acerbis guards. If your guards are different, you may have to make modifications or maybe send Don a photo of what you're using.

Don wanted me to try the Viranators with the heavier weights with my standar DR steel bars before I changed to Renthals. I'm waiting for this to arrive.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:48 AM   #3072
www.drbig.info
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Thanks for the info Ray
I`ve contacted them so we now await the response

Big Bob
www.drbig.info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:14 AM   #3073
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you! My handguards is same mount as Acerbis, so it seems Vibranators will fit no probs (I also have non-stock handlebar).

Word of warning for at least DR800 SR43 owners - plugs that have tread inside in ends of stock handlebar of this model are welded in solid. If you want to install anything inside bar you will have to drill them out (hell of a job TBH) or change bars to some good aftermarket (better option taking into account prices). I'd say that good size/shape bars on my DR made it possble for me to ride standing as I totally could not have good balance on my DR with stock bars when standing on pegs.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:06 AM   #3074
chris3155
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
spotted this in july issue of streetfighters bike mag
chris3155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 AM   #3075
chris3155
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
chris3155 is offline   Reply With Quote