Attached Images

MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:29 AM   #32
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
Yes, correct, theres a snorkel thing behind the plastic cover, so I open that up to about the same size ?
Well, normally yes - the only problem on 750 is that for future you should think about making some kind of snorkel of bigger size that goes/facing upwards from airbox - on 800 it is under seat, so no probs. But on 750 is better to find way to protect it from water. To be safe I would recommend simply making new airbox cover - either buy second hand and modify or make it from sometrhing flat. It is always experimenting a bit.
bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #33
Molgan
nub

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
theres only so much one can do to smooth out that Big Dr power pulse I notice it seems real smooth at the start off a ride but after a few hundred ks she starts to wear you down, but boy can it pass things quick
Yep the "numb butt syndrome" is very annoying after a while.

Nice pics!
Molgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #34
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
Nice photo.

Looks like you could drop your front tyre pressure a bit though.

Quiet in the cheap seats you
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:03 AM   #35
ztaj
jatz

800 rider

The guy I got my bike of had 2 of them in Christchurch (perhaps thats the one peril (kb) saw.
He rebuilt both of them aparently, hoping to entice his brother out from the u.k. to do some adv riding.
Mine still needs a bit of tidying up but it's got good bones, and is quite rideable.
Top speed ? I havn't really wound it out but 140 is no trouble at all. I like the delivery of power, don't have to keep the revs above 4500 like the bmw, this thing will quite happily pulls from 2500 (and makes an awsome noise at the same time).
Yip, gaspipes bike is certainly a looker, I read the report of his ride after picking it up in Canada, and was quite impressed.

Can you buy pannier frames for these or is it best to custom make your own ?
Old 07-26-2008, 01:41 AM   #36
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Ztaj thats interesting, I was lucky to nab mine from a Guy in Napier Who said that he bought it off a guy who had 2, I guess the other was yours that would make our bikes brothers, mine has only done 30.000k so I dont think it would have had the engine rebuilt unless the guy was very fussy and they say these engines can do big ks easily, Having said that It uses no oil so you never know. As you say these engines are real bruisers so much low end grunt,
You can buy lots of stuff out off Europe for them but otherwise youl have to retro fitt something or maybe use soft bags otherwise you could track down gaspipe by clicking his profile and see were he:s posting, I did leave him a mesage but not sure if he will get it ?

Check out this for parts and drool www.dr-big-shop.de/

MCmad screwed with this post 07-26-2008 at 02:15 AM
Old 07-26-2008, 02:24 AM   #37
ztaj
jatz

I tried to get some info out of suzuki nz about how many were brought into the country but they couldn't tell me, I guess I could tried ltnz to see how many are still road legal.
Followed a link to an e-bay sale of a 750 once, it stated there were only 120 made world wide, can any body confirm this or is it just a sales pitch ?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #38
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

total sales pitch. LOADS were made. But not much of DR-Zeta was made (Dakar bike). I guess about 120 is right for DR-Zeta model.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #39
MCmad OP
Banned

Another NZ bike out there somewhere
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=36
Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 AM   #40
DRglidarn
Panzer pilot

Oddometer: 473
Here is a pic of my old friend, a -95 DR800. Me and GF rode 2up on a eurotour (our first) on it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1187190765

Had alot of fun on it!

DRglidarn screwed with this post 07-31-2008 at 09:30 AM
DRglidarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:03 AM   #41
MCmad OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRglidarn
Here is a pic of my old friend, a -95 DR800. Me and GF rode 2up on a eurotour (our first) on it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1187190765

Had alot of fun on it!
What youve got now is probably better for 2 up
The 800 is Excellent solo though plenty off grunt when middly moded with a pipe etc
Ive seen that Pic Before she looked good, How did you find it was to ride
Old 08-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #42
DRglidarn
Panzer pilot

Oddometer: 473
Thumb

I liked very much to ride her. She was a good dualsport. I rode her at real enduro tracks, ofcourse little heavy but absolutey doable with confidence. I loved her at curvy backroads and gravel, where I used her most. I think the chassie was well balanced for her age, but needed more engine power.

It was a good strategy to take the GF on a long tour with her, I can tell You that it was simple to convince GF that we needed a GS Adv at the Swedish Motorcycle Show in Gothenburg prior to the biking season.

Although, I have to say that the DR800 had enough torque for touring 2up at alproads. It was the seat comfort that was a little spartan for GF...

Best of both worlds could be the F800GS, about the same chassie and weight as the DR800 but with the desireable 35hp extra... When I test rode the 800GS, that was my first thougt. Not much have changed except the difference in power. I think that says alot about the DR chassie, It´s good for it´s age.

DRglidarn screwed with this post 08-01-2008 at 05:46 PM Reason: spelling
DRglidarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #43
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

we (me and wife) leaving kids for 10 days with her mother and on August 14 leaving for Norway (from Belgium). Two up on DR.
Since for many years till last year I was touring on fast naked bikes and sportbikes and sometime took wife for ride and since "our" first bike was VT250F and we did a bit of touring she finds DR VERY comfortable, believe it or not
And certainly it is comfortable for me (we both short, and my wife only 46 kg) - so when we did 400 km non-stop test drive on DR two-up my Doctor kinda did not really notice additional passenger

I liked 800GS too, but it by far not as tough as DR when you drop it (I am offroad beginner) or hit log etc. and it's just a bit too heavy (heavier than DR with aftermarket exhaust actually). But I do believe Beemer is and will be huge success for long time, it is very smart bike indeed!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #44
Molgan
nub

Oddometer: 234
Hm, my head is full of doubts. I had decided to sell the 800, just can't give any good reasons to why I should have 2 bikes that is basically the same. The plan was to get something more tarmac oriented instead of the 800 since I have the Ten for my offroad fix. This time it's for real, the bike must go.

Wen't down to my parents place where I've stored the 800 the last couple of months, they live about 120km from here. Drove it straight to the mandatory vehicle inspection, we have it every second year for motorbikes here in Sweden, that it passed with flying colors. Took it the last 50km home and I hit a lot of those sweet curves that the 800 likes so much, it runs steady like a train and the engine just growls and throws me through the bend leaning like a GP driver. Took an extra lap around the city before I parked it at home, and I wasn't so sure anymore..

I just can't get rid of that darn bike. =(
Molgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #45
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

if it runs sweet - do not sell it. Not much money anyway, right? If it has to be insured to keep numberplate - OK, give up numberplate, just keep it for a while. As for road bike - OK, I have one, the VTR. So, what? Where do you ride it nowadays? Police, speed controls, cameras, sh''t weather....
I have not ridden my sportbike for almost 1 year.
One of my best suprise was how DR behaved in truly serious offroad conditins - I never expected it to be that good. It's just straghtforward "honest" motorcycle with loads of "personality" :) Perhaps make a battleship rally-style offroader from it! :) Throw stuff at it that can do too much damage to brand new Tenere ;)

or even better. 3.5 X17" rim front, 4.25X17" rim back, sticky supercorsa, get rid of ALL extra weight and use it as "hypermotard". DR is really good behaving good suspended bike for road - they got geometry right!