User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #5431
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,877
Hiya Reaper

Any more ideas on the noise? Does it increase with revs or does it increase with speed of the bike (coasting with the clutch disengaged)?

I'm betting on engine noise and that it's cause by a loose cam chain and/or too much valve lash (clearance) in one or more valves.

If you're used to water cooled modern machines, you'll generally hear more engine noises from your DR than your other bike(s). There are no water jackets to insulate sound and the cooling fins kinda vibrate like speakers.

Here's what I'd do:

I'd begin by draining the oil....and you'll need a new left side case cover gasket. (unless you're very very careful or very very lucky - maybe both)

.....then remove the left side case (trying to preserve the gasket if possible) When removing this you are separating a large piece of metal from the center of a large circular magnet so expect resistance. Try to move the case at 90 deg to the bike. The magnet makes this "interesting"

.....then adjust the cam chain tension See: http://home.germany.net/avehrenb/DR800maintenance.html

.....then adjust the valves See:
http://home.germany.net/avehrenb/DR800maintenance.html

Those sites will get you started if you require particular assistance for doing any of these jobs, you can get it here.

Maybe other riders can assist with sites with more complete photos but that's what I had on hand for reference.

It's basic service so dunno what you'd pay to have a shop complete the job in your part of the world. But.....the cam chain service is particular to this bike and not very common. So be certain the shop has a service manual or experience with the big DRs before letting them loose inside the left side of the engine.

For replacement oil, see the previous 10 or so posts.

If you found this helpful, you owe us photos (see, we've held you hostage already). For assistance with that (the photos) see: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

Ladder106 screwed with this post 12-19-2009 at 08:52 AM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #5432
ReaperX
Live life and ride free

Oddometer: 79
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Hiya Reaper

Any more ideas on the noise? Does it increase with revs or does it increase with speed of the bike (coasting with the clutch disengaged)?

I'm betting on engine noise and that it's cause by a loose cam chain and/or too much valve lash (clearance) in one or more valves.

If you're used to water cooled modern machines, you'll generally hear more engine noises from your DR than your other bike(s). There are no water jackets to insulate sound and the cooling fins kinda vibrate like speakers.

Here's what I'd do:

I'd begin by draining the oil....and you'll need a new left side case cover gasket. (unless you're very very careful or very very lucky - maybe both)

.....then remove the left side case (trying to preserve the gasket if possible) When removing this you are separating a large piece of metal from the center of a large circular magnet so expect resistance. Try to move the case at 90 deg to the bike. The magnet makes this "interesting"

.....then adjust the cam chain tension See: http://home.germany.net/avehrenb/DR800maintenance.html

.....then adjust the valves See:
http://home.germany.net/avehrenb/DR800maintenance.html

Those sites will get you started if you require particular assistance for doing any of these jobs, you can get it here.

Maybe other riders can assist with sites with more complete photos but that's what I had on hand for reference.

It's basic service so dunno what you'd pay to have a shop complete the job in your part of the world. But.....the cam chain service is particular to this bike and not very common. So be certain the shop has a service manual or experience with the big DRs before letting them loose inside the left side of the engine.

For replacement oil, see the previous 10 or so posts.

If you found this helpful, you owe us photos (see, we've held you hostage already). For assistance with that (the photos) see: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
Many thx M8. Wow I'm very impress with this site you all are very helpfull.
Yes the noises increases in speed not loudness when I rev the bike. and I would take a look at the sites and I would attemt this myself, I'm prete well knowlege in mechanics so I think I will be fine.
Many thx again M8

And yes I will post some pics of the bike.
Thx
ReaperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #5433
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
I'm prete well knowlege in mechanics so I think I will be fine.
Good....then I can also tell you to expect a few gears and washers from the starter motor gear train to come away with the left side cover (and some will remain in the main engine case half) depending on how they stick to the oil film.

It looks complicated at first but pretty much only goes back together one way.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #5434
Rajni
Gabor

Oddometer: 11
Oil??

Hi All,

Good to brought up the oil issue i8lusaka, I wanted to ask as well, because there is a BIG debate on the Hungarian DRBIG Forum about the oils.

Lods of guys prefer the 10w-40 semi syntetic oil,but they reckon 15w-50 for the bikes with higher mileage. Someone likes the Mineral....

Anyone knows anything about the Texaco oils?

thanks
Gabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8lusaka
Sorry guys but this have for shore been up befor but I can not find it so her I go again
what oil type du you use Mineral, Semi syntetic or fully syntetic
Rajni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #5435
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajni
Hi All,

Good to brought up the oil issue i8lusaka, I wanted to ask as well, because there is a BIG debate on the Hungarian DRBIG Forum about the oils.

Lods of guys prefer the 10w-40 semi syntetic oil,but they reckon 15w-50 for the bikes with higher mileage. Someone likes the Mineral....

Anyone knows anything about the Texaco oils?

thanks
Gabor
My advice.
1)Keep to the viscosity the manufacturer recommends and switch to higher only when riding in hot places.
2)Use semi and change it often. Keep your changes to 2000km and you cant go wrong. Its better to use a little bit cheaper oil and change it more often than use an expensive and let it become tar.
3) If you feel compeled to use car oil, dont listen to the naysayers without doing some search before!
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #5436
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
OK, now chainlube wax or oil.
I like wax myself
Rob,
I've a Scottoiler. One drip every 40 seconds at tick over. I adjusted my first chain 3 times and ran it for 25,000 miles (too much sideways slop). The second one did 15,000 miles (not OE and changed it 'cause I ran out of adjustment).

http://www.scottoiler.com/default.asp

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #5437
snocross
carbikesledboatrockaholic

Oddometer: 69
Engine noise

Hi ReaperX!!

Is the sound from engine similar to this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZkiTAJzX0

I had this pretty loud tictictic sound from the engine maybe half of the last summer, but that did not bother too much. My bike is spending wintertime in warm carage in other town so i think i try to find out what causes that noise in the spring. We have -15 celsius right now and had -25 couple of days ago so no ridin for a while.

Sad we have only just few centimeters of snow. I heard it has snowed today half a meter snow somewhere in the USA.

So all in all if the sound is similar and you find the right source let me know! Pictures of your bike wanted!
Old 12-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #5438
ReaperX
Live life and ride free

Oddometer: 79
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by snocross
Hi ReaperX!!

Is the sound from engine similar to this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZkiTAJzX0
Yes it sounds like that, I try to recor it tomorrow for you.
But thx for the response.
Many Thx
ReaperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #5439
shannonr73
DR BIG Rider 73

Oddometer: 288
Hey guys.. I know this isnt what we talk about on here.. But this is my temporary DR (KLX300) whilst Robmoto gets to work on the BIG .. I didnt think about how much money and time rob puts into his bikes.. May cost me $20000 to buy her back
shannonr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #5440
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Hi Shannon, arr variety its a good thing that I'm somewhat guilty of myself

looks cool, and I bet your still having fun
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #5441
shannonr73
DR BIG Rider 73

My test pilot working on the new one! Yes Variety is great but wish I could just have a garage full of them all to play with
Old 12-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #5442
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Seldom do I ride the same bike more than twice in row, but hay I need help

and just to remove some guilt from my life I recently sold my Honda Dominator, though the the guy hasnt picked it up yet ,lets just hope he changes his mind

So long my friend

MCmad screwed with this post 12-19-2009 at 06:42 PM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #5443
shannonr73
DR BIG Rider 73

I know how you feel.. Good old Dominators! Off for a test ride now..
Old 12-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #5444
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonr73
I know how you feel.. Good old Dominators! Off for a test ride now..
Shannon, it was good to finally meet up with you mate no 20G is to much it would be closer to 10G

I like the quaka now you have the best of both worlds seeing it allso came with the standard rims as well just a quick change and ready for the dirt beauty mate well done and thanks for the 750 its in bits allready.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:33 AM   #5445
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperX
Hi guys
I have a problem with my DR800 it seems that I have a noise like a clock , like this, tic tic tic tic tic tic, it's not very loud but it's not right either, can any one share any light on this matter, I just brought the bike and I don't want to spend a lot of money in having it repaired.
Any sugestions will be greatfully apreciated.
Many thx
The ticking noise may be the adjustment of the valve decompresor if is to tight or to loose I think from memory the front and back edges of the flat spot on the shaft maybe just touching the rockers if not adjusted to the right clearences as per manual.

I dont know for sure but when you first start the bike before it gets hot you may be able to put your finger on the end of it and see if you can feel any tapping by touching the compressor shaft
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote