BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:11 AM   #6347
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Big Edd I will do some pics next week If I get to do some riding with me mate denis this week end, but I am crook I gave up the smokes last wed, and feel like shite maybe its the champax tablets don,t know
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #6348
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
Big Edd I will do some pics next week If I get to do some riding with me mate denis this week end, but I am crook I gave up the smokes last wed, and feel like shite maybe its the champax tablets don,t know
Maybe a nice cigar would make you feel better, for medicinal purposes of course
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #6349
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
mate those champix made me crook as hell, nausea, sleepy, lathargic etc.... bin them. ive been clean for 2 months, put on 10kgs and still craving. which is still better than feeling like shite on the pills but i hope the cravings stop soon or i gonna turn into a big cuddly fellow
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #6350
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310
mate those champix made me crook as hell, nausea, sleepy, lathargic etc.... bin them. ive been clean for 2 months, put on 10kgs and still craving. which is still better than feeling like shite on the pills but i hope the cravings stop soon or i gonna turn into a big cuddly fellow
Dino, I have same symtoms I feel like death warmed up and eating myself stupid as well, I will need sadle bags on the big to carry the tucker
thanks for the advice I allso may have to ditch em.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #6351
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,878
Two words ex-tobacco addicts....

MOUNTAIN BIKE

Burn a few calories and have almost as much fun as you can with a motor
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #6352
ztaj
jatz

I prefer to smoke.... people are so much nicer to me, after all...... I don't have long to live

Anyway, just finished putting a trailtech, vapour on the Big and trying to set the max and STOP NOW ! temperature warning lights, does anybody know where I should set these ?
I had the max set at 120 c but the warning light came on while the bike was sitting in the shed idling.
Also, how much movement should there be in the balancer chain after adjusting the tensioner, I didn't even know about that one untill a few pages back , thanks chaps

And .... Dino, shouldn't you be lurking on an XR forum or summat
Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 AM   #6353
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
naa they boring fellas over there, plus i miss me ole mates
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:13 AM   #6354
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I prefer to smoke.... people are so much nicer to me, after all...... I don't have long to live

Anyway, just finished putting a trailtech, vapour on the Big and trying to set the max and STOP NOW ! temperature warning lights, does anybody know where I should set these ?
I had the max set at 120 c but the warning light came on while the bike was sitting in the shed idling.
Also, how much movement should there be in the balancer chain after adjusting the tensioner, I didn't even know about that one untill a few pages back , thanks chaps

Ztaj, 110 to 120c I think is when bike thermo fans turn on if water cooled.

And the ballancer chain should have no slack at all in other words firmish but not to tight that it wheres out the teeth and chain you no what I meen.

But Ray do I have to wear those gay tights when riding the moutain bike
Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #6355
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:

It is all in the manual. Just combination of buttons, really would be easier to read manual :) than explain

120 is nowhere near...
Did you install washer-like sensor that goes under spark plug? Temperature there is WAY higher than oil or coolant temp.
175 is when you need to worry and back off to avoid crossing that temperature range. Set warning 1 to 160 and warning 2 to 170.
DR will routinely do 140-150 Celsius in warm climate, 120 when it's cold outside. When I went downhill on relatively nice day (+15 let say) in Norway for like 3 km downhill (e.g. cooling engine) I never went below 90 celsius still. My VTR in this situation will be showin like 60 coolant temperature.
And when you hit traffic jam big time and will have to filter for kms and kms it will reach 175. Trust me.
My life was much easier before I installed temp. sensor on DR
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #6356
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
OK fellow DRers...
I think it's time I actually post some photos of what I been busy with on my DR lately. No riding (yes, it's not sunny side of world) but tech.

So, here goes. Thumbnails - click for big picture

Now my DR have removable panniers off Aprilia Pegaso sitting on self-build from pieces I had left of 5Stars rack pannier frames. Actually, only thing remained from those racks is that frame from steep pipe. Rest was totally cut off and made from scratch.
Result? Wonderful. Each panner holds 30 liters of luggage and overall bike width 850 mm - exactly same with handlebar.

Cost of project - 2 panniers off eBay for 99 Euro (like new), 4 pieces from hardware store used as material, lots of welding and swearing and couple of rattle cans of paint.

Now, other stuff
New lower chain guide - I wanted to ensure chain never ever hit supermoto wheel when my DR plays road bike, so took care of both lower and upper part.

RMZ450 chain guide block plus couple of pieces of 6082 alloy plates.

And chain deflector - to avoid upper part of chain hitting 150 tyre. Plastic part - UHMW, that plastic known for very high resistance to wear and very slippery surface etc. etc. It is installed reliably - 2 metal pieces welded into holes drilled in swingarm and aluminium base of deflector bolted to swingarm.

And finally - Ta-dam! My hypersuperultracool Wilbers shock absorber! :)
All adjustable, all great.

bluesman screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 09:01 AM
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #6357
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
do I have to wear those gay tights when riding the moutain bike
NO !!!

That's what everyone thinks. Just regular shorts, T shirt and low light-weight hiking boots (running shoes are OK too) and you're fine.

You don't hafta dress like a racer-geek to enjoy the bike
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #6358
ztaj
jatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
It is all in the manual. Just combination of buttons, really would be easier to read manual :) than explain
Yes, followed manual instructions. I was just wondering if there was a rough measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
120 is nowhere near...
Did you install washer-like sensor that goes under spark plug? Temperature there is WAY higher than oil or coolant temp.
175 is when you need to worry and back off to avoid crossing that temperature range. Set warning 1 to 160 and warning 2 to 170.
DR will routinely do 140-150 Celsius in warm climate, 120 when it's cold outside. When I went downhill on relatively nice day (+15 let say) in Norway for like 3 km downhill (e.g. cooling engine) I never went below 90 celsius still. My VTR in this situation will be showin like 60 coolant temperature.
And when you hit traffic jam big time and will have to filter for kms and kms it will reach 175. Trust me.
My life was much easier before I installed temp. sensor on DR
Thats what I was after, thanks Bluesman
Yes, there is a washer like sensor under the spark plug. I'll go for a ride and test it out properly, the ambient temp in the shed was 34 deg. according to my new dash so that doesn't help
Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #6359
zappa71
60.000 km BIG fun

Oddometer: 101
The chain hase to be so thight there's no slack in it, best place to feel is just under the cam chain on the left side.
If you can push it to the engine cover it's far to loose, it shoud be a like the cam chain.
6000km later it will be loose again..
Old 02-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #6360
Silent Hunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Hey guys, I got a strange sound from my DR, it's like someone swirling a ballbearing round and round in a spray can at 3500 RPM is that normal?

And there is also a bit of vibration like a rattling on metal.