Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #6511
Torte
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by morse
Is it just me or does that one look mean!
More pictures please. And why did you change the bike?

Welcome!
hi Morse,

i will look for some other picture, that was the last Face befor the Engine dies.
This Time the Problems by this Bike make me Ill and i change for a short Time to gsx11 Katana ..

But a Big was a Big and i`ll be more carefull with my old new SR42B and ride not so hard ..
Finally i had good Time with her, most after working with my Flex > 175 kg ;)

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2139/wartv.jpg

Juss wrote ..
Welcome, Torte! What a cool bike! (and good that you cut out the HUUUGE German license plate that's about the size of Liechtenstein and manages to totally ruin the looks of any bike ;)) Please feel free to show us much more pictures;)

What tank is this? how did it fit?

with the grey colour i take an old Acerbis , i think 22 ltr.
Its not so difficult to prepare the Tank, just flex up the 2 brackets and prepare one by the seat .. To adjust the Seat is a little bit tricky. And the licence Plate here .. no comment ;)

my english is not the best,i hope you understand me

greetings, torte

Torte screwed with this post 03-21-2010 at 11:42 AM
Torte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:16 AM   #6512
aapo
aapo

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by morse
I'm beginning to remember that someone (maybe aapo fellow Dr and ADV guy from finland) talked about making the Sr42 carbie's pilots changeable.
Too bad that they are read only by default if you know what I mean.

So AAPO!! If you're lurkin around, give a shout.
I know that one DR rider here in finland drilledout these old pilot jets and then jus made threads for dellorto pilotjets. He went thourgh some jets and found some type dellorto jets most suitable for that hole. But these dellorto jet numbers don't match to mikuni ones i've heard.

Another Mikuni tip! Use only those original felt seals with plastic washers for throtle valve axle. I repaired my mikunis with aftermarket rubber seals/rings and the throtle valve became slower (i did lubricate it) and these seals cracked after couple thousand km's in dusty conditionsand and caused airleak. It was very very difficult to find that leak...

EDIT: i dont know for sure but 1488 looks suitable...? or something like that... and i noticed that i've been talking about pilot jets when i meant idle jets. Same thing???

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandis...rtsectionID=51

-aapo

http://picasaweb.google.com/aapo.saari

aapo screwed with this post 03-22-2010 at 01:27 AM
aapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #6513
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,510

The story so far !!! Well where do I start ? Ok from the ground up ! New wheel bearings front and rear, new speedo drive, new discs and pads, new swingarm and linkage bearings, resprayed swingarm, new fork dust & oil seals new & fork bushes. New chain & sprockets, new swingarm chain slider, new upper chain roller, new steering head bearings, new complete custom made exhaust system. New air filter, new slide needles and tubes, new float assemblies, new float needles, new slide guide blocks. New piston and rings, cam chain & guides, balance chain & guide, new inlet & exhaust valves. New Renthal Jimmy Button bend h/bars, Pro Taper grips, new bar risers, Barkbuster VPS hand guards & Storm weathershields. B & B Aluminium luggage plate from a KTM 950/990 modified and fitted to original carry rack. Zeta Racing billet master cylinder cap and rear master cylinder clevis fitted in red and waiting on billet alternator cover plugs in red. Also a heap of new nuts & bolts & rubber grommets, new choke and clutch cables.
Coming soon Rallye style screen and headlamp protector, engine crash bars and possible new bashplate with intergrated water tank and tool box.
I'm sure I've forgotten something to add to the list but will add it to this list later on.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #6514
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J
I had a good conversation with someone about this about 12 months ago he suggested that a oneway valve is a good idea but recommended that it be plummed into the exhaust as close as possible to the head to use the vacuum effect of the exhaust. He claimed by doing this you increased HP by a small amount reduced engine braking effect on over run and increased engine responsiveness. I am looking at doing this on the BIG and my DR650 as well. Also by doing this you reduce the engine oil foaming up.
So I connect engine breather directly to the exhaust (with a PCV valve)? Please explain Brendan J
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #6515
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Morse pretty much but a PCV valve is probably not the best valve to use as they can be unreliable. I'm going to use a reed valve setup from a Triumph Bonneville EGR valve assembly (sorry dont have a photo). This is going to be modified to be a lot more simple and will be easy to clean and maintain. You will probably need some high temp hose to connect it to the header and the outlet in the header will need to be angled to go with the flow of the exhaust gas.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:19 AM   #6516
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,814
Brendan J looking good there mate, can I ask where you got the new brake disks from as I need a front one for a 750 thanks.

Megamoto guess what turned up today.

Welcome to the newies.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #6517
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,854
Rob, the rack? Any damage?

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #6518
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Brake Discs

Rob the discs I am running have come from BRAKING on the front and Metal Gear on the rear. Metal Gear do have a listing for the front of your 750 you can give them a call on 07 38810809 I don't think they sell to the public but worth a try.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #6519
juss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J
... new complete custom made exhaust system...
Wow! Good job, Brendan J! :) But as I can see - you kept the double pipe configuration? I can't help asking - why? If you had the complete system custom made - is it somehow better to have two pipes?

There's still at least half a meter of snow everywhere, but the roads have melted up! And Yeeeesss - the BIG is flying again. The year 2010 has officially begun!! It might take a few weeks or months though before any off road (and even off the main road;)) action for anyone in these parts of the world.

ausibatla - I posted the speedo cable guide some time last week, you should be seeing it soon. Then you'll have a part on your bike that's really been around the world

I had a nice conversation about it in the post office:

- Where is the parcel going to?
- To Australia.
- To Australia? Then you have to fill in this form.
- Sssshit! What's the damn form for? I'm in a hurry..
- Just write what's inside.
- There's just a piece of wire inside!
- You're sending a piece of wire to Australia!?
- Yeah, I'm wondering myself. They obviously seem to have problems with their wires down there...
- OK, then write: "A piece of wire"
- As you wish, Ma'am...

;)

Talking about speedo cables - a fellow DR-er asked me yesterday for the speedo cable gear (the part that actually turns the cable) and i'm afraid mine's met the same faith as his - it's lost its teeth in the time.. Does anyone have an idea where to get one?

cheers, juss

juss screwed with this post 03-23-2010 at 05:27 PM
juss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #6520
juss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torte
Juss wrote ..
What tank is this? how did it fit?

with the grey colour i take an old Acerbis , i think 22 ltr.
But you've obviously painted it! how did you do that? I'd really like to paint my old blue Acerbis to something more matt black.. ;) But people keep saying NOOO - it's not doable... The hell it isn't - they/I just don't know how to do it

cheers, juss
juss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #6521
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
ausibatla - I posted the speedo cable guide some time last week, you should be seeing it soon. Then you'll have a part on your bike that's really been around the world

I had a nice conversation about it in the post office:

- Where is the parcel going to?
- To Australia.
- To Australia? Then you have to fill in this form.
- Sssshit! What's the damn form for? I'm in a hurry..
- Just write what's inside.
- There's just a piece of wire inside!
- You're sending a piece of wire to Australia!?
- Yeah, I'm wondering myself. They obviously seem to have problems with their wires down there...
- OK, then write: "A piece of wire"
- As you wish, Ma'am...

cheers, juss[/quote]

Thanks mate. I'm having a chuckle just imagining your conversation with the Post Office.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #6522
dannydoy 750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Pissed any more advise..........pleasssseeeeeee.

Hi there guys.Havnt been around lately cause I was busy hitting my head against a brick wall.

Dont get me wrong.I love my Big(even though I have never even ridden it yet or even started it for that matter) but i am now at the point where i am ready to put a match to it.

Your advise have been very helpfull so far and it has helped me find all the major problems on the Big ( starter clutch was siezed , ignitor coil burned out , starter bushes were worn , excessivly worn rocker arms and carbies that was finished )

Now that all these things have been sorted out I thought to myself that the big should start relativly easy but nope , nothing , not even a splutter of life.

The last thing that I thought could be wrong was that somehow I put the cam in wrong and that my spark timing was then out by a full rotation.
In other words it was sparking while the piston was at top dead centre but while the valve was open and not on tdc when the intake and exhaust valves were both closed.I hope you understand what i mean.

So what i did was hook up a timing light and checked if the marks on the magneto were right.When i turned the moter over the timing light showed the marks to be in the right position.I then realized that my theory was wrong and that all that it showed me was that it was firing when the piston was top dead centre and not showing me if the valve timing was out by a full rotation.

soooooo to make a long story even longer.I set the motor to top dead center with the intake and exhaust valves in the open postion , I then took the valve cover off and swung the camshaft around 180 degrees and put it all back together.Ithought for sure that this would solve my problem(anyone else smelling the desperation here?) but nope still not running

To me it almost looks as if this thing is firing at every top dead centre instead of evey 2nd tdc ( compression stroke ).Now if we go back to the history of the bike the harness was cut of by an irate neighbor and i had to resolder it.The only thing that now bothers me is the cdi box.

When I resoldered the wires of the cdi box I noticed that there were six wires coming out of the box on the one plug (male) but on the female there was only 5 wires going into the wiring loom.I also noticed that 2 of the six wires were the same color and that there was only 1 of that color wire on the loom.so what i did was solder those 2 wires together and then ran that 1 wire to the female plug.(I cant recall the color of the wire)could this be the cause of the spark firing on every tdc if that is even the problem.

Things that i know for a fact is.........I have a solid blue spark now(had the coils rewired)bike is getting fuel(new set of carbies)all clearances are set right.checked the compression (reading within specified limits).starter motor and battery is fine(new brushes and battery)new sparkplugs with correct gaps.

Still this bike isnt even spluttering or giving any sign of even wanting to start.I am now at my wits end.

If i dont get it running someone might pick up an nice char grilled big on ebay soon.

So please guys,I know I might just have the most problematic big on the planet,but any thing you can think of that i may have overlooked please let me know.

Thanks

Daniel
dannydoy 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #6523
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,904
Most engines that trigger their spark off of a crankshaft mounted sensor use what is called a "Wasted Spark" ignition.

Yes, the plug fires every time the piston is just about at TDC. The spark when the engine is on the end of the exhaust stroke is "wasted".....there is nothing to ignite in the mixture at that point.

Could you perhaps have a problem with a faulty or mis-assembled compression release?

I wish I could get my hands on your engine. This is really hard to do by remote control.

I guess we'll keep throwing you straws....you keep grasping at them.

Please don't burn the bike. If everything is right it has GOT to run...no choice unless the laws of physics get repealed the moment you touch the button.

Keep at it !
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #6524
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 902
Juss, wish I had been there to see/hear that conversation. I didn't get any cheek like that when I posted a couple of bits of wire to Ausibatla, do you have them yet ? BTW
Sorry Danny I have no idea where your problem could be, I just have trouble picturing your problems. Maybe you should try a ........proffesional
do you have a tame mechanic handy ?
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #6525
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Twin Mufflers

Juss the reason I went for twin mufflers is noise!!! It is easier to keep the noise level down with 2 mufflers than 1. Big singles put huge pulses into the exhaust and the only way it can be controlled effectively is with volume i.e. 2 mufflers. It does have a bit of an unique sound by the way and is totally loud and sounds sweet without any end baffles. One of these days when I get a bit more tech savvy I will try and post some vids on Youtube or something similar.