Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #6796
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroka
I replaced axle shaft seals/spacers 2 weeks ago with oem parts.. I ordered 2 k-583 carb rebuild kits.. the fuel valves and valve seat orings are new but not the valve seats, that is the only thing that isnt new on the carbs.. all other parts where replaced (diaprhagms, slides, slides carriers, jet needles, needle jet, float assys, fuel valves, throttle and choke cables, axle shaft spacers and seals and intake boot orings)

remember i still couldnt achieve the -1mm fuel level (on gskt bowl surface) Stefan recommended even with new float assys

will report back as soon as i get the rebuild kits..
Allways replace needle an seats together or you only fix half the problem.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #6797
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
Yep, I know that for example in here RSE model 1991 came with 16/42 sprockets. I guess it was before manufacturers started to pay attention to that wear problem...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #6798
ztaj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppe172
This isn't true, I know from experience. If the bike was not sold in that market the computer doesn't have the part numbers. Not even if you give them the part number, the computer doesn't recognize it.
Ooops, my bad. I just assumed

And we all know that assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.....right
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:57 AM   #6799
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,407
Rob on the later 800's like mine the needle seat is none replaceable but the needle does have a rubber tip so wear on the seat should be very minimal.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #6800
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Brendan, are you sure? This is a bit strange, on my SR43 800 valve is replaceable actually but only sold together with needle as "needle valve assembly"
Old 04-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #6801
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Ah, my bad...you have SR42 probably? I am starting to mix things up now...
Old 04-23-2010, 03:42 AM   #6802
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

No I have a SR43 but sorry i was wrong the seat & needle are sold as a pair just looked at my spare parts listing that I have here at home
Old 04-23-2010, 03:51 AM   #6803
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Bluhduh

Jabroka your problem is different to mine. Mine will hold a steady idle but then it just stops all of a sudden. I will be having more of a play around with mine this weekend to see if I can fix the problem. I did have a similar problem as yours with an old Gixxer I had but I never did sort it out. If memory serves me correct it seemed to be running rich. But checking for vacuum leaks is a good start as mentioned earlier.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 AM   #6804
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,603
From memory isn,t there a very fine piece of stainless wire spring thing that holds the needle in place just check you have got it right.
Allso there is a seal O ring holding the seat in place like a preasure fit has this been replaced boy,s
Ok I am back to the shed to put the swing arm and linkages back in the dakar.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #6805
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by morse
I asked the same question quite a while ago. Does anyone know where to get a new diaphragm for DR fuel pump? Mine has been a little worn for a while now but since it is otherwise working I don't want to buy a whole new pump.

Cmsnl gives the pump as one part...

Maybe someone has gained some new insight over the year.
(Bluesman told about boat pumps back then I remember...)

By th way!! The Volvo discussion: I reccomend skandix.de page (shipping to abroad is expencive but It's ok if you have friends in Germany).
Morse, i bought a mikuni rebuild kit for pentagonal pumps in a jetski&watercraft shops.. there are many watercraft that use the same mikuni fuel pump.. the kit includes the gaskets, diaphragms, valves.. etc. all you need to do a complete rebuild.

the part number is MK-DF62-702

http://www.mikuni.com/c-fuel_pumps.html
jabroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #6806
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,724
CAUTION: Hitchikers May Be Escaping Prisoners !

I have that same rebuild kit....at least I think it's the same.

It's a bit distressing, however,

When you disassemble your pump you'll find a diaphragm that's impregnated with some type of rubber or neoprene. This diaphragm has a pretty big spring behind it.

When you open the rebuild kit, you'll find that this diaphragm does not exist in the kit. Instead you'll find a clear rather hard plastic diaphragm that (I'm told) takes the place of the old flexible diaphragm and spring.

After seeing that all was well inside my pump, I chickened-out and put all the old parts back inside. I'm told the pump works just fine with the hard plastic diaphragm (and that's the type that's used in the other vacuum fuel pump I'm running on my Africa/Alp hybrid so I SHOULD have felt OK with it.)

I just didn't want to experiment right then with the DR. Old pump is still working just fine, thanks
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #6807
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
thanks for the help Jabroka and Ladder. Has anyone got something to say about the plastic diaphragm, cause it kinda chickened me too?

Zappa I know that the gas flows on it's own also, it has been doing that on my bike for some time now. My pump sucks some of the gas but I can feel that it doesn't do too good of a job. Mix is getting leaner, if on reserve and once I was left on the road side, cause she couldn't drink it to the bottom

By the way! Ladder - what about these hitchikers?

morse screwed with this post 04-23-2010 at 09:40 AM
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #6808
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by morse
thanks for the help Jabroka and Ladder. Has anyone got something to say about the plastic diaphragm, cause it kinda chickened me too?

Zappa I know that the gas flows on it's own also, it has been doing that on my bike for some time now. My pump sucks some of the gas but I can feel that it doesn't do too good of a job. Mix is getting leaner, if on reserve and once I was left on the road side, cause she couldn't drink it to the bottom

By the way! Ladder - what about these hitchikers?
I rebuilded my fuel pump with that kit and it works great... the seller told me that mikuni upgraded the setup couse the rubber diaphgrams tended to stretch and the pump loose efficiency
jabroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #6809
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroka
I rebuilded my fuel pump with that kit and it works great... the seller told me that mikuni upgraded the setup couse the rubber diaphgrams tended to stretch and the pump loose efficiency
Thank you very much for the info! I'm affraid this means that I'll rather search for a repair kit (I already wrote to a german Mikuni dealer) than buy one from you.

What other goodies to you have for sale?

I'm sure no-one won't mind if we have some stuff for sale on here, since we all need that stuff.

Flatsides with low price? Anyone?
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #6810
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

OH Sh..t.

After front suspension upgrade to WP extremes I rode bike with offroad wheels and it was OK. I can still reach ground from bike.

Yesterday I tried to swap to offroad wheels with Wilbers already installed at the back - as I said before rear of bike went up quite a bit with wilbers since stock shock was quite tired.
So - to swap wheels take 15 mins with my tricky spacers and movable front fender. All worked fine. Except one problem.
I can't reach ground from bike anymore when on 21/17 wheels with Pirellis MT21. Even in my Sidi Crossfire boots.
I feel stupid. I look like cat on the elephant and fear moment when I will take new setup offroad. No, I do not use feet for support when crossing deep dirt etc. but how to stop - start on soft ground, for God sake! I had to slide off the seat even to drive out of my yard and then stop again