Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #6811
vilguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
i think blue... you need hh performance (my new tuning company) to build you a lowering drop linkage
vilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #6812
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,275
Do not tempt me! I shall not lower it, I shall learn to ride offroad like I can ride on paved roads and not like I ride offroad now (read - slow).

Lowering means shortenting forks or sliding them up, losing clearance and generally messing about carefully worked out setup of overall suspension change that finally took care of bike weave problems etc .etc. etc. - all this because my DR is too far from stock

But I do know for sure that lowering link will be very good idea for those, who convert their DRs to pure supermoto kind!
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #6813
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,903
Signage

Quote:
By the way! Ladder - what about these hitchikers?
It was a sign I saw while riding past one of our state prisons last week.....made me laugh. I thought it might be randomly appropriate for a post or two.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #6814
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
It was a sign I saw while riding past one of our state prisons last week.....made me laugh. I thought it might be randomly appropriate for a post or two.
This is is very funny!!!
My girlfriend laughed her ass off (her expression).
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #6815
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
OH Sh..t.

I can't reach ground from bike anymore when on 21/17 wheels with Pirellis MT21. Even in my Sidi Crossfire boots.
I know an MX Racer how had a piece of log to lean to when starting a race (he went from 85 CC to 125 CC class).

You should carry some kind of footrest with you .
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #6816
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 902
Here ya go Bluesman
I got it sorted for you Here's a couple of options, I'm sure you could get diffrent colour shoes if those ones clash with your riding gear

ztaj screwed with this post 12-10-2010 at 08:42 PM
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #6817
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Hey Bluesman, remember once there was a guy called Gaston Rahier. Size does not really matter. keep practicing offroad and you will be better and better. Its an advantage that you cannot reach your legs down, you have to keep going all the time. Thats what made Gaston so quick, he just couldn't stop.
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #6818
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,510
In regards the to the mikuni pump kit, my pump has had the clear diaphrams installed and works fine. I was a bit concerned that my pump was a bit on the weak side so I decided to strip and check it out and all looks good. The kit must have been put in by the previous owner.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #6819
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,510
Blue dont worry about being a bit short side just gives more cause to learn how to slide it feet up on the pegs(looks more speccy that way). And no I'm gunna get into a debate with other inmates as to wether you should slide with a foot down or not as I do both and feel comfortable doing it either way .

In a sub note it appears I may have fixed my idling issue. I wound out my mixtures to 2 turns out, so far so good. It may appear that these carbs are a bit sensitive to airbox and exhaust changes. May I suggest Jabroka that you may have to have a bit of a play with your mixture screws, what do you have them set at now? And don't you have a single muffler instead of 2?

Brendan J screwed with this post 04-24-2010 at 12:24 AM
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:44 AM   #6820
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by mait
Hey Bluesman, remember once there was a guy called Gaston Rahier. Size does not really matter. keep practicing offroad and you will be better and better. Its an advantage that you cannot reach your legs down, you have to keep going all the time. Thats what made Gaston so quick, he just couldn't stop.
Bluesman- just take off all the plasticks... unless you have a deal with Rahier sponsers...
And against the instinct- on many situations more gas will get you out off trouble
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:05 AM   #6821
i8lusaka

Oddometer: n/a
Jet kit??

I need to get bigger main jet and pilot(idle) because new open GPR and Hessler headers and open airfilter ( Foam)

I have original and just wonder if any one can help me with sutable size and needle posission to order

Regards Tommy

i8lusaka screwed with this post 04-24-2010 at 06:10 AM
Old 04-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #6822
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8lusaka
I need to get bigger main jet and pilot(idle) because new open GPR and Hessler headers and open airfilter ( Foam)

I have original and just wonder if any one can help me with sutable size and needle posission to order

Regards Tommy
Tommy if your bike is a 97 / 800 it should have 130 mains as standard so you could try 135 mains and maybe turn out the mixture screw a little perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 a turn to where it idles sweet and try that.
Check the plugs for colour after riding, use the kill switch to stop the motor and don,t go down through the gears to stop use the brakes only that way you don,t blip the throttle to give a false impression of colour.
If they are a little black or sooty I preffer to go down a size eg if you can get 132.5,s if not try dropping the needle one clip.
Main jets here are only about 10 bucks each .
Or and pull the clutch in when you hit the kill switch.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #6823
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,275
Guys, thanks for confidence boost - I really appreciate it. I will definitely go practicing route...just need to figure out some place to do it since in Belgium it mostly illegal to ride offroad and some buddy to ride with.
Anyway this summer June-July I will take my VTR1000 for a rideout - my yellow tractor getting bored of standing in garage :)
Will be doing Austria - about 7-8 days of exploring backroads and remembering of cornering skills on VTR since it is a bit scary after DR :)
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #6824
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,814
Hey Bluesman, this is one reason why I am doing up a 650 dakar for the bush I can sit on it with my feet on the ground and is about 30 kilo or more lighter,and with the lower gearing on the bike now it feels good 1st gear is not so tall anymore and I can pick the bike up if I have a fall providing I am still alive .
The 750 I carn,t pick up, but I have only tried with 2 full tanks of fuel so I keep to the open tracks and country roads with it.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #6825
MonstaBlokaz
DR800 User

Oddometer: 78
Spring is here. Finally, although, wind is very strong.
And my bike is ready