Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 05:43 AM   #7411
aapo
aapo

Oddometer: 151
What is the diameter oh the part number 20, plate top of the valves, keeping valve springs in place? My bike is far away, and i'm making tool for pressing valve springs.

http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr750-19...st/FIG-09.html

-aapo

http://picasaweb.google.com/aapo.saari
aapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:46 AM   #7412
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,699
Sorry I forgot to mention that concrete thing in the water usually suirts water about 100 metres into the air.
This pic is of the main drag and goes to Parliment house you know where they tell all the lies.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 AM   #7413
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Here I am at the rally with camp set up, its now scotch and coke time
Old 06-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #7414
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Just another pic of a few other blokes.
We did see some snow for about 2 klm,s beside the road and the dirt road was frozen in a few spots which caught out fellas on mainly road bikes, but sorry I did not take any pics bugga.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:05 AM   #7415
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapo
What is the diameter oh the part number 20, plate top of the valves, keeping valve springs in place? My bike is far away, and i'm making tool for pressing valve springs.

http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr750-19...st/FIG-09.html

-aapo
If you hang on for ten minutes I will go to my shed and remove the tappet cover and measure for you back shortly.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #7416
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,798
Rob,

Nice weather for midwinter camping. Is that going north or south for you (or is that south or north...can never remember if it's upside-down or backwards for you blokes)

With the soltice rapidly approaching, I can only be smug for a while longer.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #7417
aapo
aapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
If you hang on for ten minutes I will go to my shed and remove the tappet cover and measure for you back shortly.
This would be great!

aapo

Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #7418
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Aapo, I can only from centre of tappet screw to the outside of part no 20 with sight and steel ruler it is 13 millimetres, so times 2 should be 26 mills tight ok .
Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #7419
aapo
aapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
Aapo, I can only from centre of tappet screw to the outside of part no 20 with sight and steel ruler it is 13 millimetres, so times 2 should be 26 mills tight ok .
Thanks robmoto! This is accurate enough. This saved a lot of time for me!!!

-aapo

Old 06-18-2010, 06:37 AM   #7420
aapo
aapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapo
Thanks robmoto! This is accurate enough. This saved a lot of time for me!!!

-aapo
Hey, wine botle next to me (empty) has a about 27mm neck. So maybe i just modify it from opener? I'll jus cut the screw and put a handle? So then it is easier to trust my friend not to flip my homemade tool on my fingers while pressing valves! I have to nearest shop right now!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #7421
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Rob,

Nice weather for midwinter camping. Is that going north or south for you (or is that south or north...can never remember if it's upside-down or backwards for you blokes)

With the soltice rapidly approaching, I can only be smug for a while longer.
Ray it is south of Bathurst maybe click on maps and google it for a better overall map thingy.
It was a good day for riding about 10 degrease,still dam cold on the bike I just fitted heated grips before I left and they are terrific and only 50 bucks a very good investment.
I still was wearing,
1 thermal t singlet
1 mole skin shirt
2 sloppy joes, or jumpers to some
1 pair of jeans
riding gear with thermal winter liners as well,
and I was just right at night down there this time I would say it was minus 3 to say 5 degreas which is the same where I live .
Old 06-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #7422
Tantrum
Condescending Nag

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
OK then :) some more of motarded (click on the photos to expand). Just to explain - offroad wheels can be put back on in 15 minutes + 10 mins to fit heavy duty sump guard and ready to roll into dirt :) so true dualsport

Oooooh, this 800 is quite nice and you must be quite capable if your pit time for tires is so brief. From looking at ausiebatla's linky I'll venture your BIG is a 96 or 97 minus the DR decal on the side cover where yours says suzuki.
But why would you remove your bash plate (sump guard) engine guard? Do you do that for aesthetics?
"Life's odyssey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,shouting,"...holy shit...what a ride!"
Blessed are the flexible, for they will never be bent out of shape
The purpose of fun is to have it
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #7423
Tantrum
Condescending Nag

Oddometer: 516
[quote=ausibatla]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum
Hellooooo Daisy DR very nice to see you looking so good. Megamoto, thanks for the pic, there's no harm in braggin' a little for the wanna be like me. I'm curious, does the black DR mean a certain production year?

Tantrum - if you want to tell the year of a DR750 or DR800 by colour, click on this link.
http://www.dr-big.com/ then click on History.

Cheers.
Thanks for the linky ausibatla. It's interesting that the blue was offered every yr but 96'. Perhaps mgt. didn't want to look repetitive .
"Life's odyssey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,shouting,"...holy shit...what a ride!"
Blessed are the flexible, for they will never be bent out of shape
The purpose of fun is to have it
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #7424
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum
Oooooh, this 800 is quite nice and you must be quite capable if your pit time for tires is so brief. From looking at ausiebatla's linky I'll venture your BIG is a 96 or 97 minus the DR decal on the side cover where yours says suzuki.
But why would you remove your bash plate (sump guard) engine guard? Do you do that for aesthetics?
I do not have to remove tyres - I just swap 17X3.5/17X4.25 supermoto wheels for 21/17 stock wheels with Pirelli MT21s. Everything made to accomodate this:
1. Front fender slides up on forks by untightening 4 clamps (2 each side) it hangs on
2. Speed sensor receiver moves to lower position because it mounted to front fender
3. Stock wheel offset a bit less by adjusting spokes tension to sit straight in middle of WP forks, bearings changed to fit 17 mm axle, set of spacers - I turned myself on old Myford lathe et voila - it takes just a bit to change front.
Rear wheel just swaps as I used stock hub for supermoto set. But there I may fall behind in wheel change time unless I absolutely must - simply because it's heavy like hell
Also my forks and shock are fully adjustable - so I can quickly change settings road/offroad if I want, thou I never do.

I actually removing my self-made sump guard because it is superstrong and heavy - 6 mm alloy. I really do not need it for riding on supermoto wheels to be honest. So I prefer to keep weight down. I already made my DR quite a but lighter, but luggage frames claimed part of it back.
Here is aftermath:
front forks/clamps, front fender, front brake, rear brake caliper, brake lines, handlebar, instrument cluster, exhaust - all replaced with lighter and better items. Shock I think weights about same with stock.
But added: luggage frames, crashbars, upper chain deflector.
So it's kinda win some lose some.

Here is my sump guard. Unfortunately I have no TIG welder for aluminium so have to get inventive:

Bike actually 92, but plastics are off 96. They all scratched and cracked and I intend to keep them that way. Same about for abandoning repainting of crashbars. 3 reasons.
- if it all scratched I am not afraid to drop it and I need it as I totally novice offroad
- I park it next to nice bikes in my long trips and thieves never touch it
- I like "sleepers" - under scratched plastics are freshly painted frame, cleaned engine, all set up and works perfectly and loads of upgrades. But still looks like old tired scratched DR...I even reused fork boots on 50 mm WPs...was not easy to fit.
Attached Images

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #7425
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Ok this is the bike I bought of Shannon a while back I have removed a few things just to show you the condition it was in it had done 130 thousand klm,s.