Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #7441
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,498
Rob it's lookin fookin sweeeettttttttttttttt mate !!! Maybe I should give you my 800 to repaint on second thoughts it would get scratched in no time flat offroad and I'd cry if I did that.

Anyway I now have a twin headlight setup coming its the same as on Hesslers site picked it up cheap on scambay so there will be some more time spent out in the shed soon.

Shane I posted over there as I think there is some other Aussies on it that aren't on here.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #7442
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Not for sale

The stainless steel chain guard that I wanted to sell is no longer for sale. I painted the barrel today and when I saw how it looked against the newly powder coated swing arm and side stand, I got the angle grinder out and moved the front chain guard bracket back and made up and welded a third centre bracket the same as the 800. The swing arm and side stand will now be painted the same colour orange as the engine.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:16 AM   #7443
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Thanks guy,s I might get the swing arm back in it tonight and suspension linkages all painted too.
Gidday to Shane long time no hear do you live up Kempsey way.
Hey Brendan yep twin headlights they look shite hot mate I did see HRT has em, I got a verygood standard one of aussi ebay because the one on the bike had a big shell in it 59 buckaroonies, there are some head and base gaskets and throttle, clutch cables all from onestop spares ON THERE NOW if you guy,s need em.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #7444
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
I did a 350km run today on the DR and was quite impressed, my ridding buddies where on a CB1300 and a Super Duke

I'm not going to pretend the DR is faster than these bikes or better handling than the Super Duke, but an interesting thing happened on several occasions that surprised me

We came across some road works with new metal and I was leading, I slowed a little but continued on, upon glancing in my mirrors I realized my ridding buddies had near disappeared in my mirrors and I had to stop and wait for them.
Another thing of interest was that we came upon a wet slippery tight section of roads and I found the Super duke which was leading at the time was holding me up so I passed and took off at my own pace for a while though he got me back latter coming out of a dry corner, I was pinned but of course he just blew past me

All saying is the Little DR Big can sometimes hold its head up high even in the Presence of the Big gun Bikes

MCmad screwed with this post 06-19-2010 at 03:33 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:28 AM   #7445
chris3155
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Hi all

I'm amazed by the amount of work that you guys put into these bikes,
wish I had the time and the skill.
This is what I use for lubing chain ,not exactly light and portable though.

Its way too heavy for me on the center stand this works grand

Chris
chris3155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:00 AM   #7446
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Hi 800!

A year or two ago we were blasting trough a very curvy narrow tarmac road.
I was on my 800 and there was also a Tuono and a 900 Ninja. The road was so technical that fast bikes had to hold back. I followed them flat out and rode just as fast as they did. (My rear end wobbled couple of times though).

Finally the ninja picked up some more speed and ended up in the bush. Luckily he was ok and the bike was rideable also. So me and the Tuono were kinda doing the max speed sensible.

So on technical tracks the DR is still competitive but you have less spare power than faster bikes.
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:36 AM   #7447
chris3155
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Hi all
for Tantrum another sumo

Chris
chris3155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #7448
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

800 I like the number plate on the duke.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #7449
HLK
aka Hielke

Oddometer: 141
Talking

I've finally registered, plated and insured my DR, and it was worth the wait.

I'm proud to present....my 15 seconds of Naveness!

I wanted to take my girlfriend for a quick ride today, and ended up hammering the best local dyke roads for three hours.

I love this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
BTW - HLK, do you by any chance have CB450 "Black bomber"? I mean - the COLLECTABLE one :)

I have CB750 K2 in my garage, bought in bad state for 600 euros, I am going to start restoration this winter.
Nope, it's a bog standard run of the mill Honda CB450s, 1988 model with oil-cooled 3-valve 450cc twin. I bought it for daily transport when some *** decided to push over my Kawasaki GPZ500s and I've since put about 4000km on top of the 87000 that were already there.

It's done its job, but I'm still not sure what to do with it. It needs about 500-600 euro's (tires, engine swap or cylinder head overhaul, head bearing, brake discs) and a good two days of work to get it in proper shape again, so that kinda makes it an economical total-loss. But....damn motorbikes for that....at first I figured it was the slowest, most boring bike ever but the more I rode it, the more I started to like it. It would be a great bike to teach my girl the slow manoeuvres. Or turn it into a cafe racer, or retro scrambler thing. Oh well.

Ok back the thumping madness of the DR:
- the front brake is barely adequate. Imho a front brake should at least be able to lock up the wheel or lift the back, and this one does neither. There's just not enough pressure reaching the pads to stop that big wheel I guess.
- sometimes there's a small hick-up at around 50-55km/h, third gear. Can't quite put my finger on it. It feels like the ignition..cuts out temporarily. Maybe I have to check or adjust the TPS.

Planning to give it a full service & tweaking soon, so no worries.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #7450
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLK
- the front brake is barely adequate. Imho a front brake should at least be able to lock up the wheel or lift the back, and this one does neither. There's just not enough pressure reaching the pads to stop that big wheel I guess.
Oh I hear you there! I was scared sh..less when in first ride with DR (coming straight off my second bike - VTR1000) I had once to use both brakes and legs to avoid bumping into rear of new Audi A6...

I have so far 2 solutions for it:

- cheap - use4 piston brake caliper off Gilera Nordwest, but adaptor was not easy to make since I have no milling machine

- more expensive but better - use supermoto caliper and self-made adaptor. Since I did upgrade to WP Extremes I started searching (Gilera caliper did not fit in reasonable way to WP mounts) and got lucky - for 100 euros I got myself brand new 4 pistiong "flat" Beringer caliper with direct mounts for WP Extreme forks!
But there is plenty more to find. No usual 4-pot can be used because it will catch spokes of DR wheel, but all supermoto calipers just fine. Some 2-pots are OK too

Like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAKING-YAMAHA...item27b2921bf5

or good 4-pot

http://cgi.ebay.de/Bremszange-LUCAS-...item2c4d2e8a11
Attached Images

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #7451
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

HLK great pic mate, black is beautifull good to see she is all legal, and your last sentance got a few laughs out of me
Old 06-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #7452
shanekfalcon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Hi Rob,

Sorry, no I live in Redcliffe, just past Brisbane.

Just spent part of the day with greendude out behind Mount Mee. He was on his 87 DR600 Dakar, which is also a great looking bike and he showed me some of the tracks etc. What a great day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
Thanks guy,s I might get the swing arm back in it tonight and suspension linkages all painted too.
Gidday to Shane long time no hear do you live up Kempsey way.
Hey Brendan yep twin headlights they look shite hot mate I did see HRT has em, I got a verygood standard one of aussi ebay because the one on the bike had a big shell in it 59 buckaroonies, there are some head and base gaskets and throttle, clutch cables all from onestop spares ON THERE NOW if you guy,s need em.
shanekfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #7453
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekfalcon
Hi Rob,

Sorry, no I live in Redcliffe, just past Brisbane.

Just spent part of the day with greendude out behind Mount Mee. He was on his 87 DR600 Dakar, which is also a great looking bike and he showed me some of the tracks etc. What a great day.
Gidday Shane, now I am mixed up is your bike sr/42 or sr43 and what colour.
Greendude yep I know him from the dr/650 site on here I have talked to him about 720 kit and a pumper carb he threw a circlip and procycle gave him a new piston, say gidday for me.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #7454
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
[quote=HLK]I've finally registered, plated and insured my DR, and it was worth the wait.

I'm proud to present....my 15 seconds of Naveness!

I wanted to take my girlfriend for a quick ride today, and ended up hammering the best local dyke roads for three hours.

I love this bike.

Hey HLK :)

It took me years yo reach prefection you seem to be on the right way

OOOO...Best of luck at the world cup!!!
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:38 AM   #7455
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
800 I like the number plate on the duke.
Yer but it seems somewhat misplaced when a Big passes you (wet tight or slippery conditions may apply)

then it needs to read outgunned

MCmad screwed with this post 06-20-2010 at 03:00 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote