User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2010, 03:45 AM   #7471
HLK
aka Hielke

Oddometer: 141
Cry

Oops, dumped the BIG sideways while attempting a grassy track. I kind of expected it to happen ( a) I run Anakees b) I'm useless offroad c) the DR makes me feel invincible), but the voices made me do it anyway.

Bent up the left Hepco & Becker crash bar. Stupid design if you ask me. They make good highway pegs when you've really exhausted all the possible ways of sitting on the big DR and that's about it.

Bluesman, what did you do reinforce them? Weld on a brace to connect the left and right, like on the Ricky Cross bars? I'm tempted to buy those......actually I'm tempted to buy a lot of stuff, but I'm holding back till I've got some riding and servicing done, so I get a feel of what's really needed.

HLK screwed with this post 06-22-2010 at 03:56 AM
HLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #7472
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLK
Oops, dumped the BIG sideways while attempting a grassy track. I kind of expected it to happen ( a) I run Anakees b) I'm useless offroad c) the DR makes me feel invincible), but the voices made me do it anyway.

Bent up the left Hepco & Becker crash bar. Stupid design if you ask me. They make good highway pegs when you've really exhausted all the possible ways of sitting on the big DR and that's about it.

Bluesman, what did you do reinforce them? Weld on a brace to connect the left and right, like on the Ricky Cross bars? I'm tempted to buy those......actually I'm tempted to buy a lot of stuff, but I'm holding back till I've got some riding and servicing done, so I get a feel of what's really needed.
I had bad fall - medieval cobblestone road in Hoegaarden, 90 degrees bend, stupid builders covered road with clay from construction site and then it rained. That was with original 5Stars "made of sh...t" bars and after seeing impact I decided to re-weld and re-design them.
Mind, it is all still seen by me as "temporary" because I simply do not have pipe bender, otherwise I would make my own bars from scratch.
So, here is what I done with those 5Stars (similar design to H&B)

On impact right hand bar bent mount but also bent itself on each bend it had already, so I reinforced those bends:
Attached Images

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #7473
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

And I used similar to RickyCross mount system - I cut of flat long pieces off upper bar, made simple mounts on them and made from scratch a cross-piece they bolt to, and that cross-piece mounts similarly to Ricky cross. It has piece of 5 mm steel plate welded to it, 2 holes drilled in it and large clamp (one they sell for satellite TV dishes mounts in Brico/Gamma) goes from inside bike, through those 2 holes in plate and just fixed with nut. I also slid piece of plastic tube onto clamp, so that it does not rub paint of frame off.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2010, 05:26 AM   #7474
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Here is result of fall with original bars before upgrade

1. Pipe squashed and piece of stone punched through pipe wall completely leaving a hole. Fixed by welding on layers of metal so it at least resembles round pipe
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #7475
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

And this is bent section (impact was kinda frontal)
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #7476
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

And this just to give you idea of force of impact - this is why try to avoid going down at even mere 60 kmph on cobblestone roads
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #7477
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,788
750 rebuild

Here is the difference between HRT spring and standard one not only is it longer but roughly 2mm thicker this might stop my rear end sag the bike that is
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #7478
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

I measured my old spring against one on Wilbers shock and...well...now I can see my shock was close to dead :)

Believe me, it will make amazing difference in handling. Amazing.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #7479
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

DR750 rebuild.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #7480
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

DR750 rebuild.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #7481
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Wow. Soooo nice and clean. Did you took TMs off second DR? Or you have second set?

The only thing - since photos are so detailed it is easy to see how different is SR43 frame comparing to SR41/42. I mean - SR43 frame is SO MUCH beefier...every crucial area is reinforced.
I think weak "junction" where 2 top rear beams connect to top front beam of frame on 750 is what had inevitable effect on frame rigidity of older models.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #7482
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
I measured my old spring against one on Wilbers shock and...well...now I can see my shock was close to dead :)

Believe me, it will make amazing difference in handling. Amazing.
Bluesman yes I hope so it is soooo strong compared to the stock one I really was in shock when comparing the two together,I allso got front springs and will put up a pic to show the difference.
Does any know what fork gaiters or boots to use with HRT fork brace as the part the boot goes over is much narrower, thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #7483
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

oops - forgot photo
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #7484
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

[quote=bluesman]Wow. Soooo nice and clean. Did you took TMs off second DR? Or you have second set?

The only thing - since photos are so detailed it is easy to see how different is SR43 frame comparing to SR41/42. I mean - SR43 frame is SO MUCH beefier...every crucial area is reinforced.
I think weak "junction" where 2 top rear beams connect to top front beam of frame on 750 is what had inevitable effect on frame rigidity of older models.[/quote

Bluesman this frame had severe crack between the two gussets just above the centre stand but now welded and the two gussets are allso welded together as one full piece.
Miss use of side stand from when they become sloppy and not fixing in the first place I guess.
Allso cracking on the support pieces right at the back from over loaded rack .
Old 06-22-2010, 06:14 AM   #7485
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Sorry I did not answer first question, these are another set of carbs, I just could not resist but I have adjusted the pump to squirt after 1/4 throttle so not so touchy arround town.