User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #7516
Simon M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Aussie get together

Come on Lloyd, None of us have those, but I'm planning on going anyway.

Time - We've all got limited time - We'll be gone before we know it .
Money - How expensive can it be to ride across AUS?
Resources - You've go the 800 sitting there, clear out the cob webs. What else do you need? A tent and sleeping bag. That's about it.

It's a once in a life time opportunity.
12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
Simon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:36 AM   #7517
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,498
Ausi if they take a 5mm thread they are quite common on bikes and can be bought aftermarket they are called wellnuts and are used mostly on fairing screens. They also come in a 6mm thread as well but use a lot bigger OD.
Brendan J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:47 AM   #7518
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Like Simon said just do it !!!! I can't afford to go to the Off Centre Rally in August either but what the hell you only live once and you most as well enjoy it. And besides I haven't had a licence for 6 months (gettin it back real soon) and I'm dying for a ride. If one thing I have learnt in near 38yrs of my life is if an opportunity arises grab it by the balls and get everything out of it you can cause that same opportunity may never happen again.

Sorry if I am sounding like i am pushy as I'm not trying to be.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 AM   #7519
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Lioyd 1 buck each at the bolt shop and while your there get the stainless screws to suit its only 50klm to Mandurama and another 1500 to Swan hill .
He has balls I sent him some for the headstock bearing .
Sorry mate I could not resist, the devil made me do it .

robmoto screwed with this post 06-28-2010 at 06:04 AM
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #7520
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 879
Stuff's on it's way Ausibatla
I got a bit tied up over the weekend, a wee video of some of it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhJWw...layer_embedded

I'm on the loud bike

You best go to the Rally Ausi,
ya gotta die with memorys not dreams aye
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #7521
HLK
aka Hielke

Oddometer: 141
Guys, what's the sensible way for adjusting the headstock bearings? I've adjusted them twice now (slacken upper stearing stem nut, tighten adjustment nut with screw driver until there's no noticeable play in the forks and the steering is still light), but now there's still a slight "clicking" during braking. I'm pretty sure the bearings are new. Maybe I don't tighten them enough.

I've done about 1500km's on the DR800s now. Managed to bend the crash bar back into place. I get the feeling there should be more power/smoothness at low revs......mine doesn't start pulling until 4000.

I'll hold off the questions until I've inspected the carbs next weekend. :)
Old 06-29-2010, 03:57 AM   #7522
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Found the well bolts in Sydney. Buy a minimum of 50. Then found Carbon-Trader in the UK. a set of 5 well nuts with stainless steel allen screw cap head bolts with stainless washers... 4.84 pounds. Genuine Suzuki is $11.35 for each well nut and then $3.80 for each plain steel screw, no washer.
I know what I'm doing.

Zjat, thanks for sending those things off mate. I owe you. If you want some parts any time ask me first. I have a few bits lying around and you never know, one of them might be what you're after. Example, DR750 speedo and tacho internals. Everything works ok it's just the plastic body that's cracked. A few other bits also.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:18 AM   #7523
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Been playing with a few ideas about the seat. Cant get a black cover with orange Suzuki on the side. Only comes in white. So I went to photoshop and coloured the seat Orange with Suzuki in white. I think it adds just that little bit extra colour to the bike. Let's face it, the '88 DR750 is pretty plain with just a touch of colour on the huge tank and on the side covers. I know it's not original and I'm always on about keeping them the way the factory put them out but some times you have to bend. Your comments please.

Cheers,
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:53 AM   #7524
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

G'day all I have a bit of a query that I just can't answer on my 89 750 I have another exhaust type bracket mounted on the LH side. On Suzi's parts listings its not shown can any shed some light on this ?

Old 06-29-2010, 05:26 AM   #7525
scottyoffroad
Trials and Trails

Oddometer: 89
wellnut kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla
Found the well bolts in Sydney. Buy a minimum of 50. Then found Carbon-Trader in the UK. a set of 5 well nuts with stainless steel allen screw cap head bolts with stainless washers... 4.84 pounds. Genuine Suzuki is $11.35 for each well nut and then $3.80 for each plain steel screw, no washer.
I know what I'm doing.

Zjat, thanks for sending those things off mate. I owe you. If you want some parts any time ask me first. I have a few bits lying around and you never know, one of them might be what you're after. Example, DR750 speedo and tacho internals. Everything works ok it's just the plastic body that's cracked. A few other bits also.
Cheers.
go to your local bike shop and ask them to order a kit from either oxford (imported by ficeda) or MCS (part number FBS3B). should be no more than $25 or $30 for a pack of 10. thats 10 bolts,10 well nuts and 10 clear plastic washers. the oxford kits only have 8 but are slightly cheaper. I used to be a rep for MCS. If you would prefer the bolts to be a fancy colour just the last letter in the part number changes. ie FBS3R for red. black, red, silver, gold,green,blue available.

Cheers Scotty
scottyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #7526
Chanterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLK
Guys, what's the sensible way for adjusting the headstock bearings? I've adjusted them twice now (slacken upper stearing stem nut, tighten adjustment nut with screw driver until there's no noticeable play in the forks and the steering is still light), but now there's still a slight "clicking" during braking. I'm pretty sure the bearings are new. Maybe I don't tighten them enough.

I've done about 1500km's on the DR800s now. Managed to bend the crash bar back into place. I get the feeling there should be more power/smoothness at low revs......mine doesn't start pulling until 4000.

I bought new bearings for the headstock and had that problem . I remeasured with a vernier and the top bearing outer was a mmm out so ordered as my measurement ...... perfect.

I put in and tightenend down tight till no movement then backed off about a quarter . I backed it off a tad more until I was happy with looseness of steering. The book says a quarter.
Chanterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 AM   #7527
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLK

Don,t forget to slacken off the bolts that hold the top fork legs, so that after adjustment of the headstock bearing it can slide down the fork tubes a few thou or so to relieve any preasure and twisting of the headstock itself, you may have to open them with a flat sided screw driver or similiar tool or a slight tap with a rubber hamer may do.
allso it is better to do this withe front wheel on the ground so the weight of the bike is putting presure on the bottom bearing to start with.
If you are getting tight spots when turning this means that there are ridges in the outer cone and the whole bearing inner and outer need replacing.
i think the top bearing that has 19 balls has now been super seeded on 750,s and now is a roller bearing about 50 bucks for the pair.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #7528
HLK
aka Hielke

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
Don,t forget to slacken off the bolts that hold the top fork legs, so that after adjustment of the headstock bearing it can slide down the fork tubes a few thou or so to relieve any preasure and twisting of the headstock itself, you may have to open them with a flat sided screw driver or similiar tool or a slight tap with a rubber hamer may do.
Man...now that you mention.....that's it!

And there I was yesterday evening....staring at the top yoke, thinking "Hm...maybe I should undo these too and make sure the forks are tension-free....ah...some other time". I guess the adjustment nut has been working itself loose. Whoops. Hope I didn't bend the top yoke.

Where is the beat-your-own-head-with-a-stick smiley when you need it?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #7529
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,876
Right here............

I use this one a lot.

Also......my vote is for the ORANGE seat. But then you have to do something else with the black front mudguard.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #7530
Berg2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla
Been playing with a few ideas about the seat. Cant get a black cover with orange Suzuki on the side. Only comes in white. So I went to photoshop and coloured the seat Orange with Suzuki in white. I think it adds just that little bit extra colour to the bike. Let's face it, the '88 DR750 is pretty plain with just a touch of colour on the huge tank and on the side covers. I know it's not original and I'm always on about keeping them the way the factory put them out but some times you have to bend. Your comments please.

Cheers,
I spoke to my good Mate who is a Screen Printer, printing can be done on a Vinyl Seat Cover and should last as long as the original print.
He said it would be a bit costly, as there would be Art Work, Screen costs, and printing. Somewhere around $150
Regards Peter