Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #7561
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,460
After having a conversation on the phone with the original owner yesterday it was running a CR500 swingarm and wheel, Marzocchi forks, KTM Rallye rear fuel tanks. Not quite sure of what other mods had been done but hoping to get some more photos of the bike to see what else had been changed.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #7562
dizzel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
That sounds really interesting . How long ago was it racing?
BTW You told me that the "crack" in my fork might be a scratch on drbig and I think you're right. I smacked that leg down in the crown to have a better look and the scratch doesn't go all the way to the top. Maybe the po scratched it putting it in to the lower crown.... Anyway thanks for the tip Brendan.
Diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J
After having a conversation on the phone with the original owner yesterday it was running a CR500 swingarm and wheel, Marzocchi forks, KTM Rallye rear fuel tanks. Not quite sure of what other mods had been done but hoping to get some more photos of the bike to see what else had been changed.
dizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 AM   #7563
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
[quote=ztaj]Stuff's on it's way Ausibatla
I got a bit tied up over the weekend, a wee video of some of it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhJWw...layer_embedded

The tail light and the indicator arrived today, James.
Thank you very much. As it turns out it's the back indicator arm that's broken and the front indicator lens. I''ll be able to use it on the back and use the lens on the front. It was only the tail light lens that I needed but now I have a spare tail light assembly.
Thanks again, it really is appreciated.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #7564
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J
Good luck Brendan!
There was a comprehensive story on the bike in ADB. I'll see if I can find it.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #7565
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla
The tail light and the indicator arrived today, James.
Thank you very much. As it turns out it's the back indicator arm that's broken and the front indicator lens. I''ll be able to use it on the back and use the lens on the front. It was only the tail light lens that I needed but now I have a spare tail light assembly.
Thanks again, it really is appreciated.
Cheers.
Glad they are of some use, I figured I wouldn't need the tail light assy again after I put the new tail light on mine, so you might aswell have the lot.
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:35 AM   #7566
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Hey, I see quite some activity in tread :)

Sorry for offtopic - just back from my 8 days trip Switzerland-Austria-Italy mountain passes etc. on VTR1000F. Yes, I know, I know - but there you need power and speed.

Fantastic week, very hard riding, incredible roads.

Actually I found few interesting things.
For example Continental Road attack at the rear did not hold it. Got burned once (Saint Bernardino pass, swiss side), surface ripped on other rides, shavings on surface confirming that tyre not getting warmed up progressively, just kinda cold-overheating-cold-overheating all the time.
Front Sport attack not brilliant either.

We rode majority of passes in Austria, lots in Switzerland and quite a piece of Dolomites in Italy. Not huge mileage but extremely challenging roads and we went really too fast sometimes.
Basically we had russian/ukrainian origin riders group of about 6-7 people from Germany, Switzerland, France, Austria and Belgium. And one great German guy on old R100R beemer (special version) that was VERY fast. All different bikes - from FJR1300 to GSXR.
And we were lead mostly by one of my friends, he is demonically fast rider (trackdays regular GSXR man who lives in Switzerland) who managed to ride faster than anyone on old Yamaha Tenere 660 nobody could catch him in twisties.
Of course we did some "typical" passes too. Grossglockner pass (it was almost empty, Monday evening), Silvretta pass, Stelvio pass (2 times using different approaching roads). On Stelvio I got really pissed off by motorcycle riders more than any time by car riders. Some of guys there just headless. Countless times I was entering turn at usual pace and greeted by sign of mad rider who was basically running too wide and mostly on my side of the road.
Worst car drivers prize goes to Italians followed closely by Austrians not everywhere, but in some areas. Best food prize goes no questions to Italians and cheap too.
My Firestorm returned average of 6.5 liter per 100 km. Of course speeds on those twisties were limited, but rpms werent :)
Lot of fun was every time dropping into turn and progressively start opening up that torque twin right away from entry. Well, tyres were not really up to it, rear Conti just started ripping on surface and slid a lot but in predictable way. Immense fun. Then we had about 50-60 km one pass when we kinda been pushing it on really bumpy surface and my rear wheel few times fully lost contact with ground and engine was revving like mad Scary, but kinda manageable.
I am not sure about overall mileage, I think about 3500-4000 km including 2X650 km to/back part.
If anyone needs information where to go for best roads etc. - will be glad to help. I will post some photos when my friends with cameras will upload all stuff. DR on supermoto wheels will be at home there. Except you will need to update suspension I think, at least brace forks.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #7567
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,712
Zdenek beautifull paint job I really like the finish, but then again isn,t that what dads are for, nice work dad.

Hey bluesman, I thought you were a bit quite lately glad you had a good time, and pics to come should be good.

Please guys slow down a bit in my town 3 young people have lost there lives in the last 3 weeks on bikes all dew to speed riding 10/ tenths is to much, 8/ tenths give you 2 to play with and stay alive.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #7568
Okta
rooky

Oddometer: 62
Two SuperEnduros, one LC8 Adventure and a special Africa Twin + plus me on my sweet BIG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueHAynFjB7E
Old 07-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #7569
i8lusaka

Oddometer: n/a
Selling my 800

After spending the winter in the garage to get my 800 ready for some traveling this summer and a trip down to South Africa 2011 I have now got a job down there i SA and have to sell my baby so if any one from the Sweden are looking for a Dr follow the link.

http://www.blocket.se/eslov/Suzuki_D...m?ca=23_11&w=2

Regards Tommy
Old 07-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #7570
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8lusaka
After spending the winter in the garage to get my 800 ready for some traveling this summer and a trip down to South Africa 2011 I have now got a job down there i SA and have to sell my baby so if any one from the Sweden are looking for a Dr follow the link.

http://www.blocket.se/eslov/Suzuki_D...m?ca=23_11&w=2

Regards Tommy
You gonna work up in the Big Smoke (Johannesburg)? See if you can hit Cape Town and then I'll spoil you. Did I mention my dad has a pub and I don't drink...
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #7571
HLK
aka Hielke

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
If anyone needs information where to go for best roads etc. - will be glad to help. I will post some photos when my friends with cameras will upload all stuff. DR on supermoto wheels will be at home there. Except you will need to update suspension I think, at least brace forks.
Hey bluesman, welcome back. Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself! And that's what I was thinking......a supermoto DR sounds like the perfect bike!

In fact, I'm planning a similar trip in september: ride all the cool Alpine passes in 10 days (at which we will fail miserably, but have a hoot trying).

Crew: 1990 stock DR750 on Conti Trail Attacks, my 96 DR800 on Anakee's and....a 98 ZX-9R. The ZX has at least 3 million horsepower more than the DR's....but then we get to the twisty bits
The DR makes me feel like I'm cheating. The big bars, upright position, "friendly" torque from the single.....if things get tight I stick out my foot supermoto style and just keep pointing it to the corner exit. Laughing like a drunk pirate, HARRR.

If you've got the info on the best roads in some handy format (Google Earth, Tomtom etc), I'm interested! Still looking for the best parts of Switzerland, Austria and Italy for the return from the Routes des Grandes Alpes.

I'm also still doing the homework for the ultimate fork swap. I can't get over the fact how readily available shiny almost-new USD fronts are......right now I'm looking at a 2003 CRF450 front (950mm..a bit much ) for 250.

One thing I still don't understand: WHAT are the limits of the SR43 frame? I've measured my forks (axle to top yoke) at 910mm. Max suspension travel according to manual is 240mm, which does look like the absolute maximum with the stock wheel. So...any fork with the same offset should have a minimum length of 670mm, right? Der Stefan, for some reason, says it's 695mm.

Then why isn't everybody putting in KTM Adventure 950/990 front ends? 2004 Adventure has 230mm travel and (I'm guessing) 910-930mm length. In fact, here is a complete list from another thread here on ADV:

2003 Adventure = 230mm travel
2003 Adventure 'S' = 265mm travel
2004 Adventure = 230mm travel
2004 Adventure 'S' = 265mm travel
2005 Adventure = 210mm travel
2005 Adventure 'S' = 245mm travel
2006 Adventure = 210mm travel (990)
2006 Adventure 'S' = 245mm travel (990)
2007 Adventure = 210 mm travel (990)
2007 Adventure 'S' = 265 mm travel (990)

Ok, that would still require a valve and spring job....and it would get expensive anyway. But the WP Extreme swap will easily go over 500-600 euro's right?

Hm...it's all a bit confusing. Maybe I should just start with stiffer spring and a fork brace for the coming trip.
I was surprised to grind the right peg this morning with my girlfriend on the back (we're both 60kg, pre-load turned all the way up). I wasn't even pushing it.

Oh, and I lost two bolts already (fairing + center crashbar bolt), haha

HLK screwed with this post 07-05-2010 at 01:05 PM
HLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #7572
MonstaBlokaz
DR800 User

Oddometer: 78
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiBxx...eature=channel

Sounds like 750's are perfect rythm machines.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #7573
HLK
aka Hielke

Oddometer: 141
Hahaha!

Guess what I'll be doing first thing in the morning! I like the 750 single can better than the 800 double by the way.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #7574
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Hey, HLK, are you coming to Belgium to a Supertenere/DR meeting on 16-17-18 July? If you will be there I can bring all info on roads, photos etc. and also explain details about forks etc. Also you can testdrive my DR on supermoto wheels with whole bunch of mods it have (I do not think I will take my offroad wheels and waste pirelli mt21s on asphalt trip).

Bolts loss are normal deal with DR :) Blue loctite all way round will do trick :)

Why not adventure forks - never seen them cheap and front wheel turn angle affected I am afraid. Apart from that I'd take Adventure forks any time.
Why forks must be longer is relatively simple. Yokes of WPs etc. are way thicker and steering head is longer than for example KTMs (models with WPs), so in my case dust seals were hitting bottom yoke even before wheel hits frame.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #7575
i8lusaka

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
You gonna work up in the Big Smoke (Johannesburg)? See if you can hit Cape Town and then I'll spoil you. Did I mention my dad has a pub and I don't drink...
Yes I will live in Jozi but work all over SA so I will hitt Cape Town at some point. I dont drink eighter but I dont say no to a braai.

I sold the bike tonight after the ad had been online for 4h

I will give you a shout when i hit the country