Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 02:41 AM   #7606
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
I picked up the 750 today and I'm very happy with it.
It's not mint but it's a very good, original, 2 owner bike.
The engine is beautiful and quiet, excellent tyres, rego until August and great tyres.
Just needs a clutch cable (already ordered), the tacho is cracked and it needs a good clean up. e.g. paint the exhaust etc as it hasn't been used much for a while.
Gees, it feels small compared to my V-Strom!
I'm looking forward to getting it up to scratch and hopefully taking it for a good weekend away in a couple of weeks.

btw Can anyone offer some advice on where to get a bigger screen or do I have make my own?
I've seen a few in photos that look pretty good.

Tony T screwed with this post 07-08-2010 at 02:46 AM
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:41 AM   #7607
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,525
Tony if you can wait sometime I will have my 750 here from Tassie and I will get Peter from Screens for Bikes to make me up something and I could get something for you to if you want. Peter is 2 streets away from me and I know him well.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:42 AM   #7608
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Brendan. Yeah, that sounds good. I'm in no particular rush. Keep me posted.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 AM   #7609
aapo
aapo

Oddometer: 153
I Got my bikes idle working!!! Rode some 2000 kms nice gravel roads in Lapland. So then i needed to wash it...:)

My bike is the first. (two DR bigs ahead 990 adv)
Keep you eyes on the horizon :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHKK-PhnGdk

-aapo

http://picasaweb.google.com/aapo.saari
aapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #7610
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
Try Eagle Sreens Perth they have them, or Puig I think Puig are the tall ones, HRT has some.
robmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #7611
Simon M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
Try Eagle Sreens Perth they have them, or Puig I think Puig are the tall ones, HRT has some.
Hi Guys,

Eagle Screens only make a standard size screen I think. It's a great company and would probably make a taller / larger screen if the demand is there. Let me know what sort of thing you're after (some measurements would be good) and I'll go and see them.
http://www.eaglescreens.com.au/

I think Puig only make a screen fo the 800, not the 750.
http://www.puig.tv/tuning-bikes/suzu...1en/f213-m694/

Stefan Hessler definately does one
http://www.hessler-motorsport.de/sho...9eaff3c8f440de

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Simon.
12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
Simon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:47 AM   #7612
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks fellas. I really like the look of the Hessler one. But it's 45cm high which is 21 cm higher than stock. I'd like one about 35-40cm high, I reckon. I don't really mind about the width, but a bit wider than stock would be nice.
I might have a fiddle with some bits of perspex and the heat gun over the weekend.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:56 AM   #7613
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,525

Fitted up a new carbon fibre chain guard today now the ol' girl is just that bit tricker. The guard is to suit a Suzi RM125/250 99-08 RMZ250/450 07 current & DRZ400S/E/SM 00- current its made by Zeta Racing. I also fitted the DRZ400E chain block as its a bit harder and more durable than the RM/RMZ one.

Brendan J screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 05:31 AM
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #7614
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

I won the rear guard on Ebay
Old 07-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #7615
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Solid Footpegs

Does anyone know of a source for solid footpegs? (not rubber mounted)

My old DR had the factory ones and after a couple of hours on the the new bike today, (and damn it was fun!!! ) I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like the rubber mounted pegs.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #7616
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T
Does anyone know of a source for solid footpegs? (not rubber mounted)

My old DR had the factory ones and after a couple of hours on the the new bike today, (and damn it was fun!!! ) I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like the rubber mounted pegs.
Tony just put a flat washer either side where the bolt goes through about 25mm dia I think from memory and they are solid as, cost 1 dollar.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:48 AM   #7617
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks robmoto.
I must admit, I haven't even looked at them, but that sounds like a good plan and within my price range.......... just...........
Well done on that guard too.

I've gotta say that riding today reminded me of why I loved my old one so much. I had it for 10 years and did 150k on it and only sold it to pay for my first go at the Safari. I reckon it suits me even better than than my V-Strom. Just as capable of doing legal speeds on the road, and handles the dirt better.

Talk about a kid with a new toy.................
Old 07-11-2010, 04:54 AM   #7618
HLK
aka Hielke

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J
Fitted up a new carbon fibre chain guard today now the ol' girl is just that bit tricker. The guard is to suit a Suzi RM125/250 99-08 RMZ250/450 07 current & DRZ400S/E/SM 00- current its made by Zeta Racing. I also fitted the DRZ400E chain block as its a bit harder and more durable than the RM/RMZ one.
Nice. Together with the gold-plated chain...I reckon +5hp.

Tony T, I have a bigger screen that I might want to part with. It just doesn't work for me. I'm either selling it or chopping it up. I'll shoot some pics tomorrow.

Simon, did you have a go at those new crash bars yet? I did...and gave up after realizing it wasn't the half an hour bolt-on job I expected. Mine came with some scratches (hardly noticeable really), but Stefan included a free pair of HRT chain adjusters for that. Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilguy
that would be me matey, have to say i havent had any experience of there being TOO much travel for the dr frame, hell , i would actually like a bit more. i would suggest a decent shock to go with a front end though.

I did have a set of ADV 990 forks but parts for the big ktm are so damn expensive it would have worked out 3 times the price than puting in a set of wr or crf forks.

The conversions are pretty easy to do, the hardest bit being modifying the lock stops to allow them to work.
Hm, can you share some insight on the modification of the lock stops? Did you buy longer stops?

I find it hard to gather all the info for this mod up front. The best way to go at it is probably just to buy a front-end with rougly the right specs and go from there.

But first a BIG service. My printer is crunching out the full manual as we speak.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 AM   #7619
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLK
Tony T, I have a bigger screen that I might want to part with.
Thanks HLK, I'm keen! Even if it's not perfect for me, I can use it to play with.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #7620
Simon M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Hi, No I haven't tried fitting them yet. I'm still waiting for a few more goodies, then it's head down, bum up for a weekend in the shed. The DR will emerge like a butterfly out of a cocoon, ready for anything. I'll post when I'm ready to go. Cheers, SImon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLK
Nice. Together with the gold-plated chain...I reckon +5hp.

Tony T, I have a bigger screen that I might want to part with. It just doesn't work for me. I'm either selling it or chopping it up. I'll shoot some pics tomorrow.

Simon, did you have a go at those new crash bars yet? I did...and gave up after realizing it wasn't the half an hour bolt-on job I expected. Mine came with some scratches (hardly noticeable really), but Stefan included a free pair of HRT chain adjusters for that. Nice.

Hm, can you share some insight on the modification of the lock stops? Did you buy longer stops?

I find it hard to gather all the info for this mod up front. The best way to go at it is probably just to buy a front-end with rougly the right specs and go from there.

But first a BIG service. My printer is crunching out the full manual as we speak.
12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
Simon M is offline   Reply With Quote