Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #751
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Pretty sight! :) Congratulations!
Only suggestion I have - change mounting system for those crashbars. They really to flimsy (tested unfortunately). To keep that nice look of the bike undamaged ;) If you handy with welder and angle grinder - one day job.
I am about as much use as a mouse in boxing gloves when it comes to mechanics. Which is partly why this one was so attractive; rebuilt engine, everything checked (carbs, valves, etc) .
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #752
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
Thanks for the info but is a bit much for me can I send photos to you and you put them up as you are the closest to me my email is taylorcarpentry@skymesh.com.au regards, Rob.
Yeah, send em through if you like.
jatz@clear.net.nz
ztaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #753
ztaj
jatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER
thanks for all the words of encouragement. it really is only cosmetic and really only the tank. i am going to have it fixed and repainted. the rest of the bike is not bad at all. there is some good news. it does have a brand new top end. including valves, new piston ,cam chain and slider, new tires ( the rear is a MITA, i never heard of it) it only has 27,000 klms. the first owner was not good at keeping it maintained so it had to have the top end rebuilt. i have already ordered some parts for it. taller windscreen, crash bars, plus some other stuff.
bluesman, my email is stayfee@shaw.ca , when you can email me those pages . i still can't post pics here but maybe i can get someone to do it for me

thanks to all
north rider
Congrats on the purchase North rider, let the Farkling begin
Mitas tyres are used by quite a few ADV riders that I know of, One won't buy anything else, That looks like an E-09 on the back of yours,I have a set of E-08 for road use. You should get good mileage out of it for a dual purpose tyre, and they stick on the road well.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #754
ztaj
jatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Nice
Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #755
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,876
Bluesman,

I'm certainly not a wheel expert, but that looks a bit scarey to me.

The whole point of the 17 is harder use, correct? Harder cornering and braking loads. Given that I would stay far away from any form of radial lacing.

It may be that the rim and hub are just not compatible. I'd take it to a wheel expert to see what can be done (redrilling rim etc). The wheel guys always seem to have a few tricks.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #756
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,876
Looks OK to me!

Northrider,

I know it can be difficult to tell from photos but that bike doesn't look terrible to me.

Paint on engine cases looks good. Rear suspension links are clean and look to be rust-free. No rust around spoke nipples and rims look good.

A few dings around the tank seam but mine has those too on one side. Riding (well falling over anyway) without crashbars will do this. I doesn't look like it was dropped at speed - no scrapes - just maybe a shop floor or trailside tip-over.

Close-ups may show it worse than the first photo, but based on what you showed us, I'd have bought it myself. I'm happy to hear your pretty much over your initial disappointment and are thinking about making the machine your own.

RayRev,

Nice bike.....very....ermmm....Black. It looks great but I'd be worried about the machinie being too hidden..... particularly in an urban environment. Hopefully drivers in the UK are more aware of bikes than the brain-dead,mobile-talking,coffee-swilling,lipstick-applying,stereo-blasting,text-messaging,morons on our roads.

I spent a few hours at the DMV trying to get my new bike registered. "The VIN doesn't work" the nice lady says. Now I have to bring the bike in so they can verify that the VIN is not 17 digits like it's "supposed" to be.

I'm trying to decide if I should be honest and let them see the bike (as they've requested) or if I should just give up on the process being fair and ride the bike with the plate from the DRZ400. Which will work as long as it doesn't involve a vehicle accident.
Ray
Davis, CA

Ladder106 screwed with this post 03-04-2009 at 10:11 AM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #757
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
RayRev,

Nice bike.....very....ermmm....Black. It looks great but I'd be worried about the machinie being too hidden..... particularly in an urban environment. Hopefully drivers in the UK are more aware of bikes than the brain-dead,mobile-talking,coffee-swilling,lipstick-applying,stereo-blasting,text-messaging,morons on our roads.
It's likely I'll wear a hi-vis for the roads. It makes a big difference imho. Maybe when I have some cash I can think about a paintjob for the bike.
IBA #40578

Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #758
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Bluesman,

I'm certainly not a wheel expert, but that looks a bit scarey to me.

The whole point of the 17 is harder use, correct? Harder cornering and braking loads. Given that I would stay far away from any form of radial lacing.

It may be that the rim and hub are just not compatible. I'd take it to a wheel expert to see what can be done (redrilling rim etc). The wheel guys always seem to have a few tricks.
Yep, I realize that. I just though may be I am being too "bothered" with details - some of my mates just go ahead with mods and think later
I ditched idea of relacing stock hub and lacing back on stock Husaberg hub that wheel had originally. I found that I can easily install stock DR 300mm disk on it, and second set of wheels (stok DR with knbby tyres) already adapted to match WP Extreme forks (got them with those Berg wheels), so for quick change of wheels I will need no more than 15-30 minutes (change wheels and unbolt caliper-bolt it back with 2 spacers). I am going to drill new holes in disk holder and I am done. To my luck - Husaberg hub have 120 mm diameter of flange for brake disk and DR is 121. So it will not be even major mod.
As for wheel guys - can't trust them (paranoid?) It's no UK mechanics-wise, it is not popular business here. I even buy bolts and nuts in UK because can't get 12.9 grade here. And they charge fortunes. So it is always "tricky" workarounds for me Good that lacing it back "as was" is simple task
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #759
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's likely I'll wear a hi-vis for the roads. It makes a big difference imho. Maybe when I have some cash I can think about a paintjob for the bike.
Yep, it's good to be seen. HID lights help a lot but generally DR is very tall bike and stands out like nobody's business when headlight is on. I never had people giving way to me like when I am on DR comparing to time I ride my VTR. Couple of tape-like high-vis stickers along front edge of plastic around tank help too.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #760
snocross
carbikesledboatrockaholic

Oddometer: 69
Thumb

New DR800 rider from Finland signs in!

Ive been watching this forum as a lurker for few weeks and desided to register. Have to say this DR BIG thread is worth diamonds for all of us who have this unique bike! Loads of inspirational and useful information!

I guess i`ll be making guestions as my projekt continues. Nothing wrong in the bike and good contition, but improving and trying to make it to look as new as possible is part of the hobby

Only two photos taken of it but more is coming when the project continues. I dont know how to post pictures but here is the link:
http://212.149.223.30:5555/pasi/
Old 03-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #761
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Yep, it's good to be seen. HID lights help a lot but generally DR is very tall bike and stands out like nobody's business when headlight is on. I never had people giving way to me like when I am on DR comparing to time I ride my VTR. Couple of tape-like high-vis stickers along front edge of plastic around tank help too.
Are HID kits available?

Reflective tape is a good idea too; I used to have some on the h/guards of my 650GS.

Btw, what do people reccomend for h/guards?
IBA #40578

Old 03-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #762
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snocross

Ive been watching this forum as a lurker for few weeks and desided to register. Have to say this DR BIG thread is worth diamonds for all of us who have this unique bike! Loads of inspirational and useful information!

I guess i`ll be making guestions as my projekt continues. Nothing wrong in the bike and good contition, but improving and trying to make it to look as new as possible is part of the hobby

Only two photos taken of it but more is coming when the project continues. I dont know how to post pictures but here is the link:
welcome.

Here is one of your pics:

IBA #40578

Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #763
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Are HID kits available?

Reflective tape is a good idea too; I used to have some on the h/guards of my 650GS.

Btw, what do people reccomend for h/guards?
HID - yes, a plenty. But. Do not use high/low beam 1-bulb kit. It uses solenoid to move bulb back and forth and thus makes low/high beam. Solenoid fails miserably after some 5000 km (vibration) and lamp stops moving sitting permanently at low beam. Happened to me and 2 people with DRs I know. Best way - change to double headligh, one low beam one high beam. It's cheap if you buy from Honkong - there is eBay shop held by some UK woman, their kits good quality, very cheap and suitable for DR (with relay).

Handguard - you can get very nice guards very cheaply. In this tread you probably can find photos of my bike - it has handguards that are cheap knockoffs from Cycra guards - alumiunium bar and plastic cover. Superstrong. By now they survived everything on my bike and my friends bikes. Price about 18 GBP. Just do search in Google UK "Venom handguards" - quite a lot of online shops sell them.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #764
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snocross

Welcome! :) I heard quite a few of DRs in Finland! Beatiful country BTW - I have friend there who thinks of getting DR too :)
Old 03-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #765
Okta
rooky

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Okta! Thanks for the info & links. Can we see a Euro DRBig Rally in the future?

I won this today on ebay; I pick it up at the w/e.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160317361748
Happy miles on that Big!

We have a friend (name Gyuszi on our website) working in London and took his Big there. Just received this picture: