User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #7651
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,827
Bluesman,

This might sound a bit too "every cloud has a silver lining" but. I've done a similar thing with a bicycle wheel.

I thought it was a saver and put many hours into the build and true. I got it perfectly straight BUT with unequal spoke tension. I had that gnawing feeling that it might not work but felt I had to ride it.

All was fine for about 50 miles into a 100 mile ride and a pretty much forgot about the wheel until, riding in a large group, I failed to see a not-too-large pothole. Hit it, the wheel sprung back into misalignment (the spoke tension trying to get back to normal), the wheel didn't jam but slowed me suddenly enough to almost take down many riders in the peleton.

It was a silly thing to do and I learned from it. Rode the rest on a borrowed wheel.

So......

In the end, you've saved yourself a lot of trouble and possibly prevented a problem for someone else as well,

Sometimes bent things just have to stay bent
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #7652
Berg2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg2
Don't stress boys i have 2 DR750's (88 Orange) and i think i might sell them together, so if anyone is interested PM me. I just don't have the time to work on them. And i still have a big crush on the Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, so if anyone know where one is LET ME KNOW!!!
Peter
For sale DR750 88
I'm going to Woolongong maybe friday, so if someone wants her and is in the Sydney area let me know . Price 3k.
For more details PM me (Peter).

I brought this bike last year 3 weeks before i busted me Leg, i found it in Tassy and got it shipped over , i rode the Bike home from the bike shop (Rode well) and it has been sitting in the Garage ever since. It was registered until Nov 09 but as this WAS going to be a project i didn't worry about doing the Transfer.
The Battery was taken out and Charged every now and then. It has a few Battle scars on the Tank but very fixable and needs a new Battery. Comes as you see it with nothing else.

Berg2 screwed with this post 07-18-2010 at 02:45 AM
Berg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #7653
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,476
For sale DR750 88

as I have no money and can't afford to buy it !
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:55 AM   #7654
shannonr73
DR BIG Rider 73

Oddometer: 288
Hi Peter... See PM MAy get my chance to get the bike I let go..
shannonr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:54 AM   #7655
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Anyone in the UK?

These bits are for sale.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUZUKI-DR-750...item3a5cf349a2
Anyone over there interested? The seller won't sell outside the UK, but I want the rack.
If anyone over there wants the rest, I'm happy to buy the rack off you.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:16 AM   #7656
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
btw If anyone needs parts, I've had great success with www.suziparts.com.au
e.g. emails answered within hours and parts here in a few days including an OEM ignition switch!
They specialize in parts for older Suzuki models but do modern stuff too.

P.S. I've got nothing to do with them, I've just been impressed with their service.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:43 AM   #7657
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,767
Hi everyone I am back from trip away and will put up some pics shortly,
but now here is a few of the 750 with new chain and sprockets,new spokes and front rim I laced them myself the front took 2 hours but the back took 4 hours.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #7658
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Old 07-18-2010, 04:51 AM   #7659
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Air box and battery box in, new fork gaiters, new rear spring and new front springs and fork brace from HRT allso header pipe.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #7660
shannonr73
DR BIG Rider 73

Oddometer: 288
Man Rob.. My old bike nearly looks as good as when I had it Just needs a bit more polish and you'll get there. Hope to be getting my 87 DR on Friday if all goes well. Ahh may need to stock the beer fridge and wait till my new garage is built in a month!
shannonr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #7661
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonr73
Man Rob.. My old bike nearly looks as good as when I had it Just needs a bit more polish and you'll get there. Hope to be getting my 87 DR on Friday if all goes well. Ahh may need to stock the beer fridge and wait till my new garage is built in a month!
Shannon I can build you the garage being a chippy and fix the bike to put in it no probs .
Old 07-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #7662
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
I am just back from Tenere/DR owners meeting.
I mean - all bikes were welcome, but organised by Tenere Club.

Fantastic people, really loads of supercool "oldies" and their riders, fantastic rallye bikes...lot of talks, beer :)

Saturday was couple of offroad rideouts, I have no idea where-how, as people eventually started to ride in-out-in-out and I can't tell who went were. I know that relatively big group went to Netherlands (close) for what they called "easy" ride, but that few people came back earlier because that "easy" ride included deep and fine sand parts. Anyway, they had good time.
There was few "hardcore" offroad rides for superriders :)

I had really good weekend and belgian "Tenere legend" Gerke and his co-riders and organisers made me feel totally at home. People came from Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands etc. etc.
I saw DR "work in progress" with 66 liters of fuel. Amazingly because owner replaced stock front tank with 2 tanks installed MUCH lower that bike feels like it's lighter than mine! But he made SO many changes, there is very little left - front part of frame and engine, all rest is custom. He is older and very skilled offroader who spends lot of time in Morocco I guess in sand riding. Very kind guy too. Belgian.
Then there were those supercool rallye replicas Tenere and Superteneres with superbly skilled riders...camping fire and so on.

I felt a bit down on Saturday morning because I wanted to ride and didn't. I was not only one, but still felt a bit....unsettled :)
But THEN I found that Belgian rider have KTM wheel he can sell to me, so - positive. I also spent some time asking those superskilled riders questions on how to do this and that because my "offroad riding" is just trial and error and I have nobody to ride with, so making lot of wrong choices. Got very good tips from those guys.

For me best part of Saturday was when 2 super-skilled riders decided to play footbal (soccer) by riding 2 XTs and trying to kick/move ball while riding bikes. It was enourmous fun and they were amazing riders.

Ladder, I can't agree more - I knew wheel was goner, it's not last rideout, so I have high hopes I find KTM wheel to fit and close that problem.

After trying "rocking" that superDR with 66 liter fuel moved down from original location I am in love with idea. I definitely will try to make myself tank that sits so much lower. With my height any lowering of gravity center is best "tuning" I can do.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #7663
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

photos. Did not capture all, overall about 70 bikes were there.

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/r...eeting%202010/
Old 07-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #7664
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Hi Guys! Latvia was cool! Lots of gravel and so. Pictures will come soon!

I have an offering from a friend, that some of you might be jealous!
My friend offered me A complete chassis of Husaberg FE600E 98' without an engine for 300.- euro! (it even has papers, but I don't need those)

I mean WP Extremes, rear suspension, wheels, brakes and so on!

I'm just letting thoughts to fly here. Everybody, please feel free to help me decide what to do! (one possible way is to ride on with my beloved dr and just change oil every now and then).

This is what I'm thinking of:
1. WP extremes, with Husaberg triple clamps and self made shaft
2. 310 mm KTM disc
3. Husaberg 21" front wheel

4. Husaberg 18" rear wheel
5. Husaberg rear swingarm and linkage. custom made swingarm shaft and so on.
6. WP rear suspension (the suspensiongas "bottle" is on the side), this means a whole new airbox, something very custom.
7. Husaberg rear disc and Brembo rear master and slave calipers.
!!! The chain sprocket is on the wrong side... Should be managable though.

8. Thinking of bringing the batterytray to in front of the engine. This means a custom sumpguard, that has to be STRONG and waterproof.
9. at least front suspension has to be tuned by a proffessional.
10. The most expensive part carbs... The only thing that gives me headache sometimes are the worn carbs. Flatsides should make the worth while.
...... AND LOTS OF OTHER STUFF to do

Time frame: Let's say september 2010 - september 2011

Another choice is that I have to buy a new bike in a couple of years.
I have done a lot of milage on my bike and the chassis is wearing out.
The engine has had a partial overhaul and works nice. Maybe needs a new balancer chain. Otherwise it's a working horse.

Questions:
... Is it worth changeing the swingarm and linkage? My goal is stiffer rearend (aluminum) and weight loss.
1. rear sprocket being on the wrong side. What are the hard parts? Right now I'm thinking I will turn over the sprocket rubber bushings then find out a way to bolt on the rear caliper to the other side.
Also I have to mount the chain blocks and stuff....
2. Won't a new triple tree change something too much??
3. The travel of the forks? I bet Bluesman knows it by heart.
4. It seemed to me that I can't use the original rear suspension upper mounting. Husaberg's rear suspension is kinda more upwards and longer than DR's. It seems if I mount it under an angle, it won't move as much as I need.
5. Is it worth the effort to move the battery downstairs? I use a large ATV battery for reliability.

Thanks in advance!
And if I decide to skip it, then maybe some of you might want the bargain.

NB! My friend has a spare DR carrier (black). He wanted 20.- euro for it. Location Estonia.
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #7665
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

1. rear sprocket being on the wrong side. What are the hard parts. Right now I'm thinking I will turn over the sprocket rubber bushings then find out a way to bolt on the rear caliper to the other side.
Also I have to mount the chain blocks and stuff....

If that berg DOES have rubber bushings of any kind in rear wheel - turn it over and don't worry

2. Won't a new triple tree change something too much??

New steering stem needed. Use my drawing

3. The travel of the forks? I bet Bluesman knows it by heart.

280 mm. On SR42 - no problem. And forks are 20 mm longer than DR forks. Unlike KTM Extremes. KTM springs available from Hessler or KTM to suit your weight. I mean - effect of those forks are amazing. a)no twist on braking b)small road bumps in slow speed seem a bit bouncy, but then you hit something BIG at speed and forks EAT it just SO easy, you almost do not feel a thing. Do it. DO IT!

4. It seemed to me that I can't use the original rear suspension upper mounting. Husaberg's rear suspension is kinda more upwards and longer than DR's. It seems if I mount it under an angle, it won't move as much as I need.

Do NOT change swingarm to Berg. Be realistic - DR is what, 80 kg heavier? And stock SR43 arm IS rigid to surprising level.
Use shock with further re-springing. USUALLY Berg shocks fit DR except airfilter box is in the way. You can modify that.

5. Is it worth the effort to move the battery downstairs? I use a large ATV battery for reliability.

ABSOLUTELY yes. Check my post about DR with ally tanks on Tenere meeting, 1 post above